Need a new coat!

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
No
As the title say's I'm after a new coat after.. After a happy 2 years of wearing my coat every day it's falling apart!

I've been in and out of every shop in the 3 closest towns and not found one which wasn't a fashion statement or looked extremely over priced.

Never shopped for clothes online so websites or coat recommendation greatly welcome!!!

What I'm looking for

Price - ideally closer to the £50 or below mark but can spend more
Water proof would be ideal but not a must
Inside pocket!! I like my keys close
Two pockets on the front
Colour or style I'm always open to new ideas

Thanks
Sam!

Have you a Go Outdoors store near you? some good deals if you keep an eye out.

Might help if we knew if you are male or female!

Heather

Sam, head up to Clarks Village in Street. There are a few outdoor clothing stores there with last year's styles at very good prices.

My current coat is over 6 years old now, been used regularly, been used for climbing Brecons, Ben Nevis, Snowdon amongst others and still going strong, still weatherproof despite not adding any kind of coating to it. It's a Peter Storm one from Millets. Got it for about £35ish, think it was on sale at half price or more though. Very impressed with it!

My last two coats were from TKMax and Debenhams, totally different styles, but both around the £50 mark.

How much were coats when you bought your last one? I don't remember seeing a radical change in the coat market since two years ago. ;-)

Sensible advice would be to spend more money (e.g. a couple of hundred quid on a Barbour), so you get a coat you won't need to replace in two years' time.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the suggestions will get shopping very soon!

Sam, head up to Clarks Village in Street. There are a few outdoor clothing stores there with last year's styles at very good prices.

Will be heading that way hopefully this week end!

Most likely.

Steve.

Congratulations Steve for another post count, Pointless and answered few posts lower.

How much were coats when you bought your last one? I don't remember seeing a radical change in the coat market since two years ago. ;-)

Sensible advice would be to spend more money (e.g. a couple of hundred quid on a Barbour), so you get a coat you won't need to replace in two years' time.

It's the local shops not the coats, All seem to be cafes now but will look into Barbour coats.

As has been suggested, GoOutdoors is an ideal place to look if you have one locally http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/

I managed to pick up a "Last in Stock" Helly Hansen jacket a couple of years ago, reduced from £165 to just £32 as it was last years colours and the last one. They often have a rail with jackets like this. If like me you're not bothered about it being last years colours so long as it's warm (VERY in this case) and keeps you dry, then worth a look.

Not going to get much of a coat for £50, not a decent one anyway:shrug:

afraid, given the above, I'd have to disagree. Admittedly there was an element of luck that it was there and my size, but there were several other jackets from the main names in various sizes and colours with huge reductions due to being the last one or two in stock.

Regarding Barbours, I've had a few and they're good; but they're also pricey and the traditional ones are heavy and need maintenance to keep them waterproof. The modern technical ones are probably a better choice for most purposes.

Back