Need a sharper lens......I think

Name
MUD
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone help me out here please........pic taken about 40mtrs from the abbey (closest i could get) at f/8 ,1/125sec ,iso100 ,@37mm (18-55 EF-S Kit lens) on a 400D with a mono pod.
I want to find a lens that will give me a sharper image or is it something ive done wrong.....any C&C welcomed.

IMG_0934.jpg

The kit lens should do just fine and it's hard to think it that it was in anyway the limitation here....especially at f/8.
It looks to me like the focus is off a fair bit....how did you focus this one?....it's a testing shot for AF unless you used centre point and locked on a nice contrast boundary.

Bob

With that length/F/sensor everything from about 4.5m should have been in focus, maybe the AF didn't lock (or camera in manual)?

With the bright sunlit cloud in the shot the rest of the picture is quite low light and I don't think the camera/lens has done too bad a job.

Think we need a better view to be able to judge. Can you post a full size crop from the middle and another from the edge? (zoom in with your editing program to 100% the use the crop tool to keep and then save a 600 or so pixel wide piece of the original as a new image)

Ok mud, here's my theory. It might be total pish but it fits the facts well enough to me. :LOL:

The focus looks on the money to me. If it was back focused the distance would be a teeny bit sharper than the abbey and I don't think it is. The area where there is most detail to see is also where you have the sun flaring a little and this takes away detail with it's own brand of "fuzz".

I think what you also have is a bit of camera movement that's taking the edge off the sharpness, shot wide obviously. It's really important to keep the camera still when you expose the film/sensor and it's soooooo easy to get into the habit of click and lower the camera becoming one fluid movement.

If you make the click a very conscious separate action, thinking stillness and then lower the camera, it makes such a large difference to the quality of your output.

HTH....some. :)

Besides, a 50mm lens would not have given this picture.

37mm is already nearly 60mm (59.2) on a 400D.

With a 50mm (80mm perspective) you would most likely not fit in the building or have to move back a (good) bit:shrug:

Thanks guys.....ive had a few conflicting comments on this pic......going to try shooting RAW for the future but that will only allow better pp and not a better image from the camera.
Guess its not the equipment but the user.........need to learn more.

Its a tad oversharpened, but you get the idea. ;)

Hope you don't mind me having a play with it. :D

edited.jpg

Thanks guys.....ive had a few conflicting comments on this pic......going to try shooting RAW for the future but that will only allow better pp and not a better image from the camera.
Guess its not the equipment but the user.........need to learn more.

True words spoken there!(y)

I have had a rude awakening with my 5D a while back and an even greater one with my new 1Ds Mk II:love:

These thing are demanding beasts and if anyone thinks that taking better pix become a breeze by buying a monster camera, I must warn you that you too, will be in for a surprise:LOL::rules:

If you will excuse me sounding like an old fart for a while but here goes:

Polish the techniques you learned in your film days. If you did not have film days, find someone who did and become good mates with him/her:naughty:

(y)

True words spoken there!(y)

I have had a rude awakening with my 5D a while back and an even greater one with my new 1Ds Mk II:love:

These thing are demanding beasts and if anyone thinks that taking better pix become a breeze by buying a monster camera, I must warn you that you too, will be in for a surprise:LOL::rules:

If you will excuse me sounding like an old fart for a while but here goes:

Polish the techniques you learned in your film days. If you did not have film days, find someone who did and become good mates with him/her:naughty:

(y)

Film is something i never fancyied so digital in all i know......jumped from point and shoot to the slr and love it...just need to practice more and find the time to use cs3 :crying:

Film is something i never fancyied so digital in all i know......jumped from point and shoot to the slr and love it...just need to practice more and find the time to use cs3 :crying:

We had to use film:bonk: in my days...oh goodness I really sound like an old fart...:bonk:

The thing with slr (digital or film) is that there is a certain way that they want to be treated. Shutter speed vs focal length is one example I can think of now...

If you follow these principles you will always be safe in getting good shots.

Exposure is another easy thing which is horribly complicated by metering modes etc.

We really have no excuse with digital - all shots should be near perfect or better because you see what you have done and can correct immediately(y)

The focus looks on the money to me. If it was back focused the distance would be a teeny bit sharper than the abbey and I don't think it is. The area where there is most detail to see is also where you have the sun flaring a little and this takes away detail with it's own brand of "fuzz".

That does seem a likely explanation - reflected light from that bright spot bouncing around in the lens and causing a haze effect.

I look on editing as a last resort. Better to learn what the camera needs setting to than learning how to salvage a shot (that will not be as good as if you got it right originally) in processing

As well as the good advice above, I think the main problem here is an optical illusion created by both the jaggy broken edges of the building and the contrasting brickwork, which overall creates like a "dazzle cammo" type effect.

Also looks to me like the camera was in full auto "green square" mode which will give you metering that probably isn't suited to that kind of shot. Step away from the auto and venture into the "creative zone" :D

As well as the good advice above, I think the main problem here is an optical illusion created by both the jaggy broken edges of the building and the contrasting brickwork, which overall creates like a "dazzle cammo" type effect.

Also looks to me like the camera was in full auto "green square" mode which will give you metering that probably isn't suited to that kind of shot. Step away from the auto and venture into the "creative zone" :D

Was shot in P and not auto......:nono:

Back