Need a walk about lens - advice?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently sold my 350D + kit lens so was planning on buying something to replace the kit lens. Currently I've got the 10-22mm, 50mm f/1.8 and Sigma 70-300mm APO, and use them all on my 40D. The 10-22mm is easily my most used lens, as I take a lot of landscape photos mostly.

I was considering the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8, although I've had another look at what I can get and was also considering the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Although Yet option I have been considering today was something like the Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 which can be had for a similar price range.

I know that having a larger zoom will inevitably give a reduction in quality, but there seems to be mixed reviews about it on the internet. Does anyone have any thoughts on the lenses mentioned above? I was also considering a few others, such as the 28-135mm, however I don't think the wide end would be wide enough for my needs really so have decided that would be a no. My budget is around £250 or so, although I could stretch to £300, or possibly a bit further.

Thanks,
Rob

The Tamron 17-50 is very sharp, and good value - do you still have a crop body? 18-200mm lenses are obviously optical compromises, and you have arguably the best budget telephoto in your armoury already. If you wanted a bit more reach, and could live without full-length f/2.8, the Sigma 17-70 DC Macro is very nice, and you could also consider a Canon 17-85 IS.

I did a lot of research on a walkabout lens and went with the Tamron 17-50. It tends to out perform the Sigma in most of the reviews I read. Having said that, since you have the Sigma 10-20 you've got the wide-angle thing already. Given that, I'd be tempted by the Sigma 24-70 f2.8! It looks amazing, and the only reason I didn't go for it was that I'd be lacking the width that the Tamron provides.

Thanks for the replies guys, yeah the camera has a 1.6 crop factor, the sigma 24-70mm does look very good from the reviews, however I don't know whether it would be wide enough for me, I know I could always swap to the 10-22mm but that would be hassle swapping round lenses all the time, I can get it for £220 off the internet imported, however my other concern would be that I've heard bad things about the Sigma quality control, and if I were to import the lens then it's going to cost more to return it if it is rubbish, or I could buy from a UK retailer but that would cost more to do so.

I have a friend who's got a kit lens so I'll have to borrow that off him and see just how much difference 18mm to 24mm makes and if I would be happy with that for most cases.

Rob

Thanks for the replies guys, yeah the camera has a 1.6 crop factor, the sigma 24-70mm does look very good from the reviews, however I don't know whether it would be wide enough for me, I know I could always swap to the 10-22mm but that would be hassle swapping round lenses all the time, I can get it for £220 off the internet imported, however my other concern would be that I've heard bad things about the Sigma quality control, and if I were to import the lens then it's going to cost more to return it if it is rubbish, or I could buy from a UK retailer but that would cost more to do so.

I have a friend who's got a kit lens so I'll have to borrow that off him and see just how much difference 18mm to 24mm makes and if I would be happy with that for most cases.

Rob
If I had the 10-20, I would certainly have gone for the 24-70mm. The thing is, at 17mm the Sigma would probably outperform most 17-Xmm lenses so it'd probably be worth the switch anyway...

I'd go for the 24-70 - its a great walk around lens, and as you have the 10-20mm it complements it perfectly.

You have PM

Back