Need advice what first DLSR to get

Name
Nina
Edit My Images
Yes
Would love to get some recommendations on what DSLR to get from more experienced photographers. Been reading lots of reviews and I’m getting quite overwhelmed by it.
Budget is limited to £600ish with lens so realistically looking for second hand gear. I would like to get one that is going to last me fairly long time so wouldn’t have to upgrade straight away when I get more advanced.
Interested on macro, wildlife, nature
I was looking at the Nikon D7200, D5600 or is there better option for me? Older models? Doesn’t have to be Nikon.
Thank you in a advance :)

Hi Nina and welcome to TP

There have been many newcomers asking such advice so forgive me if I state the obvious by asking you some questions that will aid any such equipment advice & feedback from then TP members.

1. You are aware that a dSLR is the body only? Why do I ask, well you have not mentioned anything about choices of lenses!

2. Can you tell us a little about your camera experience ~ what do you own and use now?

3. What sort of subjects (e.g. portraits/people, landscapes, wildlife, architecture, airshows........?) do you now take photographs of and what is it about a dSLR that you see as helping you grow & improve your photography?

4. What subjects are you thinking of shooting in the near future that you not yet shoot?
Your answers to the above will likely also indicate additional gear suggestions beyond the dSLR body & lens(es), such a tripod.

I look forward to seeing your replies

All the best with the wonderful world of photography :)

Hi Nina and welcome to TP

There have been many newcomers asking such advice so forgive me if I state the obvious by asking you some questions that will aid any such equipment advice & feedback from then TP members.

1. You are aware that a dSLR is the body only? Why do I ask, well you have not mentioned anything about choices of lenses!

2. Can you tell us a little about your camera experience ~ what do you own and use now?

3. What sort of subjects (e.g. portraits/people, landscapes, wildlife, architecture, airshows........?) do you now take photographs of and what is it about a dSLR that you see as helping you grow & improve your photography?

4. What subjects are you thinking of shooting in the near future that you not yet shoot?
Your answers to the above will likely also indicate additional gear suggestions beyond the dSLR body & lens(es), such a tripod.

I look forward to seeing your replies

All the best with the wonderful world of photography :)

Thank you for your reply.
Yes I'm aware body only. Didn't mention anything about lenses as I've only had a quick look. Can't even decide on camera :). For now I was going to get a general purpose lens and get the macro lens after Christmas unless I find a good deal. That is part of my decision making problem that can't quite make my mind up should I go for more basic model and have better lenses or better camera and save up for lenses.
About previous experience, only used a point and shoot cameras so far, could not tell you the models without checking (at work). They are both good cameras. I have always been very keen photographer just never owned a dslr.
Marcos are something that I have a keen interest that current cameras are not quite capable of. Other than that wildlife, pets and landscapes mostly.

You're not just buying a camera, you're gaining access into a WHOLE SYSTEM whether you use it now or not.
The quality of ALL the big names is similar, its FAR mor important how the systems componates FIT you. How well do the varius bodys fit your hands? Are all the buttons easy to reach? WITH OUT looking? Do they balance well with different lenses and a big flash gun fitted?
Remember, todays unaffordable top model is next years affordable upgrade treat so look at a range of priced kit not just what you might afford now.

Fit and feel, far more important than ANY percieved technical betterance. A body's till the next one, a lens is for life!

As Stumpy suggests go to a shop and get your hands on some and see how they feel. Try both Nikon and Canon just to compare. One of the big differentiators between DSLR models is sensor size, you will see terms like APS-C (crop) and FF (full frame) being used. For wildlife crop sensor cameras, like the cameras you suggest, have advantages and the lenses are cheaper. For wildlife the focusing system becomes important and the D7200, I think, has the better focusing system.

You do have a lot of options, including mirrorless cameras rather than DSLR. However, for wildlife DSLR are still going to be better for moving animals/birds for the price range that you are looking at. I would suggest going to store and trying similar Canon and Nikon bodies and seeing which feels best to you and which has controls in places you feel most comfortable with. If you have no preference then at this moment in time I would choose Nikon as their sensors are generally better for a given price point.

The D7200 is one hell of a camera and could probably last you a lifetime as it would most likely have everything you could possible need. However, it is going to blow all of your budget (used) and leave no room for a lens. Its predecessor the D7100 is still a cracking body and would leave room for a lens. I would personally choose a D7xxx body over a D5xxx body as it has more higher end features and should last you a long time.

If this is your first dslr then I would keep an open mind and try a couple of makes out. Look at the menu setup and lay out of the camera is it right for you. Don't settle for I will get used to it. good luck

I think the other thing to consider is other people in your circle and what they use. I went Canon when I first went digital because I worked with two other Canon users, who could give advice, share lenses etc

You definitely need to try a few out. Other than button/control layout there's quite a size difference between the D3000/5000 series and the D7000 series. But also the 7000 series has a built in focus motor so will able to use a wider range of nikon lenses.

As Snerkler said above, you could save yourself some cash and go for a D7100 over the D7200 - there's not much difference between the two anyway.

You could also look at Canon. Something like a 600D would get you a relatively cheap and good body and leave you a chunk of change for a lens - you're much more likely to upgrade a body than a lens anyway. You might prefer the button layout of Canon compared to the 3000/5000 Nikons - there are more of them so less time navigating settings screens.

Last edited:
Hi Nina and welcome to the Forum, you will get lots of advice and tips on here, just browse around there is a wealth of info to be found.

As for suggestions, there has been good advice posted above and i'm going to add my little bit to the post.

Personally, I'm a Canon user and a quite happy one at that. The reason I chose Canon over the other brands (won't mention models) was because I liked the feel and the layout of the buttons over the other brands.

Also Canon has a vast range of lenses (although Nikon has a large choice also) so I would be able to find something that suits my style.

You say you have a budget of £600 for body and lens so if you went for something like a Canon 760D that would leave around £150 ish for a lens but you will not get a decent single lens to cover all your needs (wildlife, pets and landscapes)

something like this http://www.camerajungle.co.uk/products/67982/canon-eos-760d-digital-slr-body/135705 which is a very capable camera and has the advantage of a fully articulated screen as well, so would be great for getting low down macro shots. Plus it comes with a full 1 years guarantee :)

and maybe something like this https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...anon-ef-s-55-250mm-f-4-5-6-is-stm/sku-690429/ for a general purpose lens which will come under your budget and leave something for memory cards and so on.

I'm sure others will submit their suggestions as well, but do pop along to your local Jessops / Currys and try a few models out to see what they handle like, it's no good buying something on recommendations if you don't like the way it feels / handles.

Nikon 5600 you won't go far wrong with it,

I started with the D5300 and loved it, what swung it for me was the tilt screen (very handy for low down or high up macro) and the Wi-Fi.

When you start looking at the lenses read the reviews for the Tokina 100mm, I was apprehensive about not using Nikon lenses but it beats the main brand ones in a lot of comparison reviews and is much cheaper, I love it and often use it for portraits as the quality is excellent.

You're not just buying a camera, you're gaining access into a WHOLE SYSTEM whether you use it now or not.
The quality of ALL the big names is similar, its FAR mor important how the systems componates FIT you. How well do the varius bodys fit your hands? Are all the buttons easy to reach? WITH OUT looking? Do they balance well with different lenses and a big flash gun fitted?
Remember, todays unaffordable top model is next years affordable upgrade treat so look at a range of priced kit not just what you might afford now.

Fit and feel, far more important than ANY percieved technical betterance. A body's till the next one, a lens is for life!

As Stumpy suggests go to a shop and get your hands on some and see how they feel. Try both Nikon and Canon just to compare. One of the big differentiators between DSLR models is sensor size, you will see terms like APS-C (crop) and FF (full frame) being used. For wildlife crop sensor cameras, like the cameras you suggest, have advantages and the lenses are cheaper. For wildlife the focusing system becomes important and the D7200, I think, has the better focusing system.

What do you feel is limiting you with your current point and shoot cameras ? If you can answer that, you'll have a better idea of what camera to buy (if you do actually need a new camera that is)

You do have a lot of options, including mirrorless cameras rather than DSLR. However, for wildlife DSLR are still going to be better for moving animals/birds for the price range that you are looking at. I would suggest going to store and trying similar Canon and Nikon bodies and seeing which feels best to you and which has controls in places you feel most comfortable with. If you have no preference then at this moment in time I would choose Nikon as their sensors are generally better for a given price point.

The D7200 is one hell of a camera and could probably last you a lifetime as it would most likely have everything you could possible need. However, it is going to blow all of your budget (used) and leave no room for a lens. Its predecessor the D7100 is still a cracking body and would leave room for a lens. I would personally choose a D7xxx body over a D5xxx body as it has more higher end features and should last you a long time.

If this is your first dslr then I would keep an open mind and try a couple of makes out. Look at the menu setup and lay out of the camera is it right for you. Don't settle for I will get used to it. good luck

I think the other thing to consider is other people in your circle and what they use. I went Canon when I first went digital because I worked with two other Canon users, who could give advice, share lenses etc

You definitely need to try a few out. Other than button/control layout there's quite a size difference between the D3000/5000 series and the D7000 series. But also the 7000 series has a built in focus motor so will able to use a wider range of nikon lenses.

As Snerkler said above, you could save yourself some cash and go for a D7100 over the D7200 - there's not much difference between the two anyway.

You could also look at Canon. Something like a 600D would get you a relatively cheap and good body and leave you a chunk of change for a lens - you're much more likely to upgrade a body than a lens anyway. You might prefer the button layout of Canon compared to the 3000/5000 Nikons - there are more of them so less time navigating settings screens.

Hi Nina and welcome to the Forum, you will get lots of advice and tips on here, just browse around there is a wealth of info to be found.

As for suggestions, there has been good advice posted above and i'm going to add my little bit to the post.

Personally, I'm a Canon user and a quite happy one at that. The reason I chose Canon over the other brands (won't mention models) was because I liked the feel and the layout of the buttons over the other brands.

Also Canon has a vast range of lenses (although Nikon has a large choice also) so I would be able to find something that suits my style.

You say you have a budget of £600 for body and lens so if you went for something like a Canon 760D that would leave around £150 ish for a lens but you will not get a decent single lens to cover all your needs (wildlife, pets and landscapes)

something like this http://www.camerajungle.co.uk/products/67982/canon-eos-760d-digital-slr-body/135705 which is a very capable camera and has the advantage of a fully articulated screen as well, so would be great for getting low down macro shots. Plus it comes with a full 1 years guarantee :)

and maybe something like this https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...anon-ef-s-55-250mm-f-4-5-6-is-stm/sku-690429/ for a general purpose lens which will come under your budget and leave something for memory cards and so on.

I'm sure others will submit their suggestions as well, but do pop along to your local Jessops / Currys and try a few models out to see what they handle like, it's no good buying something on recommendations if you don't like the way it feels / handles.

Nikon 5600 you won't go far wrong with it,

I started with the D5300 and loved it, what swung it for me was the tilt screen (very handy for low down or high up macro) and the Wi-Fi.

When you start looking at the lenses read the reviews for the Tokina 100mm, I was apprehensive about not using Nikon lenses but it beats the main brand ones in a lot of comparison reviews and is much cheaper, I love it and often use it for portraits as the quality is excellent.

First of all thank you very much to all of you for taking time to answer and for your suggestions Your reply’s have been very helpful and helped to put things in perspective. I went to a shop and had a look at few models and the button layouts and feel of them.
I decided go down on model to Nikon D5500 (lightly used) with 18-140mm Lens, went for that one as I preferred the button layout, tilt screen and it was lighter that D7xxx. Also it left me some funds towards macro lens. I’ll have a look at the Tokina lens, thanks for that. Can’t wait for it to arrive now

Lookin forward to seeing some of your shots Nina :)

Back