need Canon FD advice....

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
before I try to sell ...is it possible to use these Canon FD lens on ANY model of Digital Canon body

they are all mint, spotless and so well made, it would be nice to keep them

obviously no AF but will they meter....I've seen all types of "adapter" with all manner of claims - so wondered if anybody here had actually done it - and what are the plus/minus results ?....thank you for your time....(y)

28mm f2.8
50mm 1.8
35-70mm 3.5-4.5
70-210 f4
also have a Miranda 24mm 2.8 in an FD fitting

I think the only way is via an adaptor which I think someone on here said you could get on E-Bay.

If you do then I think you would have to use the lens in stop down metering mode so no auto functions.

The FD mount was completly dropped when Canon redesigned there cameras and mounts for the AF bodies back in the mid 80's

I think the only way is via an adaptor which I think someone on here said you could get on E-Bay.

thanks

I have read many reviews, tech write-ups on eBay sellers and from adapter manufacturers website ...but....

wondered if anyone had actually done it ?

I bought an adapter to use a nikon ais lens on a canon body and it worked fine, it had the electrical contacts built into the adapter to trick the camera into thinking it has a 50mm f/1.8 lens on so it would meter, it can be done OK with a nikon lens on a canon camera because the thickness of the adapter doesn't affect infinity focus, not sure how the FD adapters work but there are a lot of dodgy ones out there that are the wrong thickness.

I bought this one but it seems they don't do a FD to Eos adapter which may tell you something, send them an email and ask why before you buy one :)

haodafu@yahoo.com.

http://haodascreen.com/Nikon.aspx

Darren

send them an email and ask why before you buy one

thanks - done that !

You can also use them via an adapter on the Panasonic GF-1, drop KayJay a pm he might be interested in a few of those (y)

An FD adapter without an optical element will not focus to infinity due to the change in distance from the lens mount to film/sensor between the FD & EF mounts when the EF mount was introduced.

FD adapters with an optical element may be available but I believe that they introduce a slight magnification and will introduce an addition glass element of unknown quality into the optical path.

Canon did initially make an adapter but not for long and it would only fit some FD lenses. These are apparently like gold dust now.

You can also use them via an adapter on the Panasonic GF-1, drop KayJay a pm he might be interested in a few of those (y)

(y)......not sure of PM..........:rules:

decided to wait the weekend to see if anyone actually HAS done this
then will list "For Sale"....but will give KayJay a PM to say they will be for sale....thanks

probably a dead-end - but the FDs are such quality cf plastic kit lens
no doubt I'll still end up with a D200......:cool:

John, I've got one of the adapters on my Vivitar 100mm Macro FD mount lens which converts to EF fitting for my 400D.

send me a PM with your address and I'll send the adapter up to you to try before you list anything, all I ask is that you return the adapter once you've tried it, Id happily let you keep it for a month or so, as I can't see me needing it until the weather gets a little nicer and drier.

EDIT: just reread your original post and now realise my offer probably isn't much help unless you know someone with a canon Digital body. Offer still stands if its any use to you.

EDIT: just reread your original post and now realise my offer probably isn't much help unless you know someone with a canon Digital body. Offer still stands if its any use to you.

very decent of you..............(y)

having read all the technical reports as to potential probs......
plus IQ degradation, and the slight increase in magnification, will mean the 28mm will become too wide on a DX

thanks again - decided to stay with my Nikon 18-55 kit......(y)

I've heard of people in the US machining the FD lenses to fit the EF mount, but I've no idea what something like this would cost or if there's anyone in the UK prepared to do it.

The Alternative Gear & Lenses forums on Fred Miranda offer some interesting ideas about this sort of thing.

Darren
send them an email and ask why before you buy one
thanks - done that !

got a fast reply
no they cannot fit Canon FD lens to a Nikon D200............:thumbsdown:

thanks all for the input

John you can indeed get an adapter so that a Canon FD lens will fit on an Eos camera. As has already been stated, everything is manual as there are no electronic links in an FD lens to communicate with the camera.

Adapters can be had with or without a correcting lens. Without will retain better quality as there is no additional glass between the lens and the camera, but you will lose the ability to focus to infinity. This is because the adapter moves the lens away from the sensor. With the correcting lens you retain the ability to focus to infinity, but IQ may suffer slightly due to the unknown quality of the lens used.

Here is a shot taken with a Canon 70-210 FD lens fitted to my 40D. It was taken purely to prove a point on a rather dull day, so the lighting is a bit flat, but it serves it's purpose.

church.jpg

This is a 100% crop just to show that images taken this way are actually useable, and possibly not as bad as some people would have you believe.

100crop.jpg

John you can indeed get an adapter so that a Canon FD lens will fit on an Eos camera.

thanks for the input - actually it's a Nikon i have...
emailed some adapter manufacturers - nobody does FD lens to Nikon body.....:(

so will put up for sale - beautifully made lens compared to todays - though i expect modern optics/coatings are better

maybe another Canon owner will like to try them ?
day off with the snow so will make a "For Sale List"......thanks.....john

Back