Need help buying Hasselblad gear

Sorry, I missed this part of your post before;

"I just hope its not like when I got into Leica and spent nearly 40 grand on Leica gear because I was lead to believe that it was the best gear for photography but in reality I always got better sharper pictures with my Nikon gear"

Nail, head...the Hasselblad MF kit will be at least that much and with the Nikon/Sony kit you've already got I'd be surprised if you could tell any massive difference in a studio environment for anything other than massive prints. The key is what kit works for you.

Anyone can blow the budget on kit but if it doesn't fit your own style/use case you'll end up frustrated and continually chasing the next 'best' thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

My mate wrote this yesterday;
the benefit of H5D and Phase one over Pentax is they have leaf shutter lens so you can go up 1/8000 syn speed...what's that all about??
I guess bottom line is I need to do some more research and also try and get my hands on one. I did contact Hasselblad in the uk for a private viewing but never got a reply :(
Anyway thanks again for your help
Neil

Neil, please tell us you'll research this properly before dumping a ton of cash! You need to get hold of a Hasselblad and use it first, preferably a couple of the other medium format options too, and understand what they can do (basically, fabulous image quality, but everything else a downside) and the differences - shutter, leaf vs focal plane; sensors, size and type; the very different handling between brands etc; lens options; cost!

The Hasselblad's max shutter speed is 1/800sec (not 1/8000sec). It's a leaf-type shutter, inside each lens, and yes you get x-sync up to 1/800sec, but a) that's no benefit in a studio, b) you can get the same result by putting a 2-stops ND filter on a regular DSLR, c) or by using high-speed sync, and d) there are some minor image issues with leaf shutters at max speed. On that last point, I would be suspicious of the claimed 1/800sec speed anyway (Hasselbalds always used to max at 1/500sec nominally, but I have tested a few and none of them bettered 1/350sec) and at high speeds the opening and closing time of the blades is a substantial part of the exposure when the blades act as a star-shaped lens aperture diaphragm. It's explained in this link with a Fuji X100 that also has a leaf shutter - best I could find off the top of my head http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmx100/17 It's probably not a big deal, more something to be aware of, but equally having 1/800sec x-sync isn't that much of a big deal either.

Not trying to talk you out of it, just go in with both eyes open. First and foremost, medium format is about image quality - sharpness particularly. But compared to your D810 and top quality lenses you will simply not see it unless you output very large prints. On the other hand, if with your studio work you were to invest in the best models and build up a good rapport, get great props, hire a good stylist, top hair and make-up skills, plus some expert lighting and posing assistance, the quality of your output would go up in leaps and bounds.

Neil, please tell us you'll research this properly before dumping a ton of cash! .
Richard I am cool............ I have my Sony coming in August and I will be having that private demo day with Hasselblad when I get back to the UK in September for a wee holiday. I wont be buying any MF equipment until at least after my UK trip so we are looking at October/November
In the mean time I will keep plugging away on the internet and try and digest as much info as possible :)
Thanks again mate for your help

Failing that, you could learn to use the gear you have, and donate 40 grand to a worthwhile charity. Everybody wins. ;)
I have no issues shooting with what I already have (apart from my Leica gear, and I explained what the issue there is already) I plan to donate my 40k to whatever camera manufacture that tickles my fancy....................stay posted and you will find out who that lucky manufacture is :)

Richard,
My mate in KL who has the Pentax 645z said he can organise a free rental for me to try it out. He ditched his Canon plus Otus for one and swears by it. So at least I will have the chance to try it myself :)

The HD 50 has the new CMOS sensor that's why its 10K more. Same type sensor as the Pentax, just with access to more/better lenses and Hassleblad support/products.

I wonder if people receive so many pushbacks when they want to buy a Porche rather than a Ford. Worst case, at least the residual on a 'blad is better!
;)

Richard,
My mate in KL who has the Pentax 645z said he can organise a free rental for me to try it out. He ditched his Canon plus Otus for one and swears by it. So at least I will have the chance to try it myself :)

Great start. In your position, I'd try and arrange some quality time in London to get to grips with these things, like a couple of days. Great shopping for your missus too LOL Have a go in the Hasselblad studio, get some personal attention at Leica Mayfair with the S (they might do you a good trade on your Leica M kit). Have a look at Phase One. And remember to enjoy yourself ;)

Great start. In your position, I'd try and arrange some quality time in London to get to grips with these things, like a couple of days. Great shopping for your missus too LOL Have a go in the Hasselblad studio, get some personal attention at Leica Mayfair with the S (they might do you a good trade on your Leica M kit). Have a look at Phase One. And remember to enjoy yourself ;)
Richard
A mate of mine in KL is the owner of the Starhill Leica store and he has a new Leica S with a 70mm Summicron (I think that's what it is). I told him that if I got it I would want to trade in my Leica M gear for it and he said he could do me a really good deal on it :) :)
The 70mm would be a nice walk around lens and I would also get the 120mm CS for my portraiture stuff............I would plan to trade in all my M gear so it would be a win win situation except I would be buying back into the Leica Dream :)

Last edited:
I've been away for a while, and just logged in and saw this thread ...

Interesting, as I've just made the migration from Nikon to Hasselblad after years of studying the +ve and -ve of MF vs. dSLR.

Neil, if you can identify the reason, or reasons, why you think the Hasselblad (or a MF) would fare you better than your current gear, I think that's the best way to start.

If you have specific questions on the H5D range, I will try and answer as much as I can.

If you're still struggling to get Hasselblad to give you a demo, I can give you the name of the store I dealt with, I requested a full day demo with a list of bodies, lenses, and accessories; and they made sure that all the items were available. When I decided to bite the bullet and make the jump, I requested another full day to go over every bit of assembling, disassembling, etc. They, and Hasselblad were very forthcoming and supportive.

I've been away for a while, and just logged in and saw this thread ...

Interesting, as I've just made the migration from Nikon to Hasselblad after years of studying the +ve and -ve of MF vs. dSLR.

Neil, if you can identify the reason, or reasons, why you think the Hasselblad (or a MF) would fare you better than your current gear, I think that's the best way to start.

If you have specific questions on the H5D range, I will try and answer as much as I can.

If you're still struggling to get Hasselblad to give you a demo, I can give you the name of the store I dealt with, I requested a full day demo with a list of bodies, lenses, and accessories; and they made sure that all the items were available. When I decided to bite the bullet and make the jump, I requested another full day to go over every bit of assembling, disassembling, etc. They, and Hasselblad were very forthcoming and supportive.
Hi Wail
I still haven't heard a whisper from Hasselblad but its a weekend so maybe I will hear something from them on Monday :) My main reasoning for now thinking Leica S, is the fact that I can trade in my M gear for it so it wouldn't be another case of forking out 20 to 30k. I could probably get the S without laying out any cash.....except for extra lenses :)
I wouldn't mind knowing how you fair with the Hasselblad for outside shoots, and if you had the choice between a H5D 50 or 50c which one would you go for and why?
I will be in Glasgow/Dundee/Solihul/Bristol and could go to London but no plans to right now

I did think of the H5D-40, 50, 50c and 50c WiFi as I was studying which way to go. I ended up going with the 40 for a number of reasons:

The 50c & 50c WiFi have the CMOS sensor, which gives much better higher ISO; but as I am predominantly into landscapes, I don't want anything more than an ISO 100 :) ... would have loved it if the 40 had ISO 50, but the lowest it goes to is ISO 100.

Another factor, cost ... the 40 is just a bit over £7,000 whereas the 50, 50c and 50c WiFi are over £19,000; that's more than double the price ... do they have any other feature that I would need? Well, 50MP is 10MP more than the 40, but coming from the D3x and D810 a 40MP is more than enough. The CMOS sensor doesn't appeal to me. WiFi, great if you want to tether to an iPad and iPhone, otherwise a useless feature that just eats battery life.

I live in Saudi Arabia, and on the first outing with the 40 (keep in mind it's summer and temperatures are hovering around 50C); the camera overheated and gave me a heat warning :eek: ... I called it a day after an hour's shoot. But, I do intend to take it out a lot more over the next few weeks, at sunrise and sunset, when the temperature is a bit more forgiving.

The H5D has a lot better weather sealing than the previous iterations of the H series; and you're able to remove the rear sensor without having to take apart the viewfinder (great for if you need to clean the sensor); it also supports the new battery which gives a bit better battery-life, but if you're using the GPS that eats battery like crazy. Overall the H5D seems to have a LOT less glitches than the H4 and earlier models; touch-wood.

Without a doubt, the Hasselblad has a lot less features than the Nikon, is a lot heavier & larger physically, the lenses are monstrous by comparison, and has gigantic image files, a lot slower (I thought the D3x at 3fps was slow, welcome to the world of 1.5 fps). This has meant I have had to replan my workflow, how I store my gear, how I carry them, what I carry, etc. You really need to take a step back and spend some time thinking about the whole process from A-Z.

There were two main selling / buying point for me; 1) was the T/S adaptor, which works like a charm. It is just an amazing bit of kit for controlling perspective and depth of field' 2) sensor size, and while I would have loved to go for the 60MP (there is a 100MP coming out soon), I just can't justify that kind of price given the kit I was looking to buy (2 bodies and a few lenses) .. the 40MP will easily give you 3' x 3' frames.

I thought about the other MF, Leica (I use the M range for street photography; and the T for my wife); thought of the Phase One, Mamiya, and Pentax; but in the end nothing comes close to the image quality from the Hasselblad, but that comes at a premium.

The store I deal with is Richard Caplan (London Pall Mall), and they do trade-in if you so want; or they can agree with you on a price for your gear and you put them up there for sale with them taking a %. I opted for this option as most of my gear was sold by myself and what was left I had it priced at a bit below eBay prices to move them quickly (and sure enough most were sold on the day they were posted on their site).

Hope this helps ... as I said, if you have specific questions, please feel free to ask :)

Another point to keep in mind, if you study the lifecycle of the H series, you will see that Hasselblad release a new range every 3 ~ 3 1/2 years, which means the H6 is due out very soon.

That really isn't a big issue for me, for two reasons; 1) I am never an early adopter, as I prefer to wait a year or two until all the bugs are ironed out; 2) Hasselblad do a trade-in plan, and will happily take my H5 whenever I am ready to move up a body and I foresee that I may do an upgrade a year or 18 months after the H6 is announced.

Wail
Thanks again for all the info....I have emailed Richard Caplan and will see what he has to say about both the Hasselblad and the Leica S

Happy to be of help.

If you are serious about the Leica S, they have a new model being released in a few days' time ... I think it's the 007 with a CMOS sensor (which seems to be an offering from all Medium Format nowadays).

Happy to be of help.

If you are serious about the Leica S, they have a new model being released in a few days' time ... I think it's the 007 with a CMOS sensor (which seems to be an offering from all Medium Format nowadays).
I heard it s launch date has been pushed back........................., but yes I am now getting serious about a new Leica S, if the new S comes out in say the next month then I will defiantly consider it as long I can still make a deal with my Leica M gear as well :)

Wail
Thanks again for all the info....I have emailed Richard Caplan and will see what he has to say about both the Hasselblad and the Leica S
Sh]t again.............will be taking a 60% hit on what I paid for my Leica M gear less than 2 years ago........back to the drawing board :( :(

You're bound to take a hit when selling to a store, they need to resell it and make a profit on it.

Richard Kaplan offer an alternative, you can put up the items for sale through them, and they'd take 20% commission.

Which Leica lenses do you have, if I may ask?

You're bound to take a hit when selling to a store, they need to resell it and make a profit on it.

Richard Kaplan offer an alternative, you can put up the items for sale through them, and they'd take 20% commission.

Which Leica lenses do you have, if I may ask?
Noctilux 0.95
90mm APO
21mm f1.4 Lux

Noctilix, that's one super yummy lens; would never sell it if I owned it.

I thought about the other MF, Leica (I use the M range for street photography; and the T for my wife); thought of the Phase One, Mamiya, and Pentax; but in the end nothing comes close to the image quality from the Hasselblad, but that comes at a premium.

I actually came to opposite conclusion and picked Mamiya (Phase One now) for the reasons that it is quite modular (with open digital back interfaces allowing a variety of back choices and film on Mamiya AFD bodies), lenses command reasonable prices on second hand market and have a reputation to be extremely sharp (which I find very good for landscapes), older and newer lenses have certain gems like 80mm f/1.9 and 150mm f/2.8, AF though slow compared to DSLRs but dead on (I have yet to find a case where it faulted me).

My advise to OP after reading this thread would be to evaluate his needs for the type of shooting he does. For landscapes I would give some consideration to Mamiya AFD/Phase One DF body (Mamiya if film supports is required) with Phase One P45+ digital back (which has truly great colour, available on a second hand market at a reasonable prices and still supported by Phase One).

In general I would have rented the system of the choice for a day of shooting to see whether I like it before commiting fully to purchase.

Last edited:
Back