Need help canon pixma ip8750 printing problem

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone and merry christmas,
i really need help just brought a canon pixma ip8750 and having major problems print.
the problem are black and white all come out with either a light sepia tone or a very heavy one depending on what preset i use, also colour printing has a magenta cast in some areas of the photo.

i do understand that there can be a difference from screen to print due to screen calibration but the images are coming out so wide of the mark on whats on my screen it must be another issue

i'm using a mac , lightroom 6, canon ink and paper glossy 2. and got it hardwired in via usb into the computer.
can anyone shed any light on what i'm doing wrong or what might sort out the problem or a good preset setting to use.. i was hoping to give some photo's of my new born to the family as a xmas present but they coming out so bad it would be embarrassing.

thanks
Steve

Calibration aside (which is a must when printing) more information is needed...
How are you sending the files to print from which program?
i.e. Printer Manages Colour or Application Manages Colour?

If Application Manages Colour are you selecting the correct paper/ink profile? Also making sure Colour Management is turned off in the driver.

Are you making sure that the correct media is selected...

There are many, many points in the printing workflow where an error can occur, if you can list how you are preparing and then sending the data to the driver etc.

Won't go into soft proofing yet...

I've got one of these, run lightroom 6 on a PC and don't have issues.

Are you using the print module? If so under Print job, do you have managed by printer?
upload_2017-12-24_11-28-7.png

Or when you select other do you have one of the pront profiles seleted?

upload_2017-12-24_11-30-3.png

What happens if you change it from Print to printer to print to JPEG file. Do you get the same poor results.
I guess the test prints are OK? You don't have an issue with one of the cartridges, seeing as it has a grey and two blacks?

You basically have two options. Either let the printer manage the colour or let the application (and you) manage the colour. The latter usually produces far better results. Not used that printer, but have used Canon printers in the past (now using Epson). What I do and did with Canon was to disable the colour management on the printer driver (you'll have to google how if you don't know, I can tell you how on PC and Epson ...) - then in LR in the print module, under Color Management (sic) choose the profile that matches your paper and ink - as you are using Canon inks and papers these will have been installed as @Byker28i has listed them it will be the Canon IP8700 series GL2 profile ...

Hi Byker,
i do have those options when i use the panel on the right of LR but color management i've got it as profile : Canon ip8700 series GL2 .. I think i've got printer management turned off which i think can be done by the panel on the left side of LR if that makes sence.... i've just managed to print a b/w picture blue !!!

You need to set the software to do colour control and set the printer driver to Color Sync which produces a warning from the printer driver for you to ignore.

The printer control box is very different in the Windows and iMac versions. I found printing very easy with this printer under Windows and much harder with my iMac. I found setting the driver to monochrome made things worse.

Last edited:
Hi Byker,
i do have those options when i use the panel on the right of LR but color management i've got it as profile : Canon ip8700 series GL2 .. I think i've got printer management turned off which i think can be done by the panel on the left side of LR if that makes sence.... i've just managed to print a b/w picture blue !!!

Is it just when using the printer. Do you get the same on print to jpeg file?

At least you have it USB connected. I don't think the ink levels show on the app when it's connected over wifi.

Ok I've just done the same - GL2 and B&W image and it comes out blue tint. - So that's whats doing it

Ok ran through a copuple of other of the printer profiles and they come out blue tint as well. Managed by Printer and I get correct B&W image.

OK printer driver isn't rurning off colour matching on mine if I use a colour profile. To use the GLS profile and get a correct colour match I have to:

Printer Properties, Main, Set the colour to manual and select Set
upload_2017-12-24_14-6-57.png

Select the matching Tab and set the colour correction to None

upload_2017-12-24_14-7-30.png

Then it all works great with the Canon Printer profiles

Not sure if it's the same on a Mac. Managed by Printer for me returns a similar print to the colour managed
Hope this helps

Mac is not quite the same...
In the driver select Colour Matching... there should be two options 'ColorSync' and 'Canon Color Matching', if 'Application Manages Colour' is selected in the Lightroom Print Module then with later OS's and drivers 'ColorSync' should be selected but both options will be greyed out, this is correct and normal.

Under Color Options everything should be left well alone set to Standard and everything zeroed.

Make sure that the correct Media is selected in the Quality & Media settings.

The settings that Byker28i has screen captured for the LR Print Module are correct (Although I would set the Print Resolution to 300 for a Canon Printer)

For Black and White I have produced my own custom profiles which produce a very neutral result, I have though had good results selecting the Black and White option in the driver.

I am away from my desktop at the moment so unable to post screen grabs for you, sorry.

Last edited:
Yeah it was on 240 as I was printing Christmas cards...
But I can replicate the issue on the pc, so it's just finding the right combination on the mac.

Yeah it was on 240 as I was printing Christmas cards...
But I can replicate the issue on the pc, so it's just finding the right combination on the mac.
Sorry should have put a smily face there...

Hopefully the settings I gave should work out, they are correct for my two Canon Pro series printers so should be the same for the OP...

thanks for your help so far chaps i think i'm getting their with the color but still not 100% happy but the BW still coming out very sepia and i like the 100% BW effect... Phil when you get a chance can you post some of the screen shots of your setting .

Regards
Steve

We'l get there Steve. I can reproduce whats happening to you as the PC print driver isn't turning off the colour profile allowing Lightroom to do it, so it's got to be something similar on the mac driver.

If you get nowhere after christmas, I'll fire up my mac VM on my laptop and add the drivers to that and see where I get.

No because he's using a Mac (n) :exit:

Whilst the locations are different, he was still using the profiles, in this case GL2, which is what the issue is, both Lightroom and the print driver are trying to set colour profiles, hence the error.

@Byker28i

Sorry mate I was only teasing :D

I've been through the same pain with my Canon Pixma pro 9000 mk2 on both Windows and Mac and it was down to double profiling in Windows and Mac and crap recycled ink.

I've learnt not to use non propriety ink/toner. Sometimes it's ok but the quality varies and causes issues.

Back