need help for first DSLR..

Name
Chris Hamill
Edit My Images
No
Hey guys,

First post, I am sure you get this quite alot but im looking for my first DSLR, I live in the UK and took a little browse around currys and jessops to get a feel for cameras and prices, the one that caught my eye was the Sony A200, do any pros kno what this camera is like or would they like to recommend any others in the entry level price bracket?

Thanks

Chris

Hi,

I've only just bought my first DSLR and was advised that Jessops are very expensive. I bought a reconditioned D80 for £485 with 2 lenses and I'm very happy with it.
My colleaue has just bought the Sony Alpha 200 and loves it but says that the lenses are very expensive.

Hope that helps.

Comus

What is your budget as that helps us narrow it down.

For now ignore makes and go handle a load of bodies, feel is important.

You'll find if you get a canon or nikon there are alot more lenses avalible, mainly because these are the two most popular brands so more people have them, then sell stuff on. If you have a look on ebay you can get a feel for how much stuff is around for each brand in terms of accessories, lenses etc.
I was advised to go to a shop and handle as many as possible. My local wilding took me out into the town with 3 cameras so i could try them, i then took the photos home to compare the images on my computer. Also you may the feel and ease of use of some models over other.
I ended up with the canon 400d and am really pleased with my choice.

iv just brought my very first D.slr to, went to jessops and they were very help full spent about 2 hours with me answering any questions i had, letting me have a play with the camera, it all comes down to nikon or canon i went with a canon 400D (yep anothr person with that camera) but mine was the last one as they have just brought the canon 450D now. but im really happy with it.

with currys there a waste of time, dont have a clue what there selling. and just agree with everything you say.

I have a Sony A100 and it's a great piece of kit.... There are trillions of used lenses available that wont break the bank... (eg. 70-210 f4 for around £150)

Contrary to popular myths.. there are loads of new lenses available as well. Tamron, Sigma and Tokina all make lenses and they aren't any more expensive than the Canon/Nikon versions.

One added bonus with the Sony is the built-in Image Stabilisation.... That means you dont need to pay extra for IS lenses...

Make sure you check out as many cameras as you can then once you have decided which one you want post the details on here. Between us we must have spent 7 figures on camera equipment and we can all give you a few pointers on where to get the best deals.

Hi,

I've only just bought my first DSLR and was advised that Jessops are very expensive. I bought a reconditioned D80 for £485 with 2 lenses and I'm very happy with it.
My colleaue has just bought the Sony Alpha 200 and loves it but says that the lenses are very expensive.

Hope that helps.

Comus

Funny, they were the cheapest place in the UK when I bought my D80 and my D300 :thinking:

I didnt find jessops very helpful. The best thing you can do is go to shops and pick up the cameras. the one you find most comfortable is the one for you! Try it with diffrent lenses and grips. Dont be worried about asking questions

Well, its horses for courses:thinking:.

I started out with a Canon 400D and kit lens and hated the softness of the pictures, most likely down to me. The price of IS or VR lens was frightening so I was stuck with it. No I was not:clap:. I chopped it in for a Sony A200 with kit lens and I honestly could not be happier. The camera is so easy for a novice to operate and the IQ of the kit lens is great. There are loads of secondhand lens out there that will fit the Alpha series and the other makers, Tamron, Sigma and others now make very good lens to go with the A200. The inbuild Steady-shot is a god send and allows the use of any lens without IS or VR and still get really good shots.

As others have said, go out and try for yourself. However I would give the Sony A200 the (y).

i am a canon user and i know that sony's are not bad camera's there downfall at the moment is the lens lineup etc... this is to change though with a lot of investment going into sony's lenses. However you dont know how long that is gonig to take.
I chose the 400D over the nikon D40(x) jsut as there was the motor issue in the nikon. For me it was something that felt good and would give me less restrictions.

I have been to jessups to get a hands on feel of different models and asked for a truthfull answer to what could be the best buy in mid range. I said forget the money side just talk about the equipment and comparisons. I went in thinking Cannon or Nikon and come out thinking Sony......... I for one found Jessups helpful handy and they would be convienient if i had any later problems. I would stand clear of Currys and PC World selling cameras as they cannot train the staff for the range of products they sell

I am not going to slag off the likes of Sony etc but it is worth bearing in mind the much larger range of lenses available for Canon and Nikon. Try and think what lenses you are going to want further down the line.

I wouldn’t bother with jessops ether after service dismal great at selling thou

Back