Need help from TLR experts!

Dab

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys I'm thinking of buying a TLR as my first real go at film and need some advice. I've found a few TLR's online and in (apparently) in good working order, but I'm finding it hard to choose which one to get. The cameras available are:

Rolleiflex Old Standard (621) with f3.8 Tessar- £60
Rolleicord I - £50/£60
Rolleicord III - £60
Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1c - £60
MPP Microcord - £90/£100

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Old Standard but I can't really find any direct comparisons to help me choose. I know the Rolleicord were the more budget line compared with the Rolleiflex, but am I better off going with the newer Rolleicord III? Anyone with TLR experience care to lend a hand?

I'm no expert (Yashica 124G and a Lubitel 166U are my TLRs) but those all look like remarkably cheap prices to my eye (well perhaps apart from the Microcord).

Last edited:
Yeah the prices do seem a lot better than the usual ebay lot! I was looking at Yashica 124s but they all seemed to be going for more than I can afford with no guarentee they are functional.

Might also be worth keeping an eye on a Mamiya C220 & C330s on ebay if you can stretch to a bit more.

You sure going with medium format as your first film camera is a wise thing? just wondering how you'll get on with handling roll film and getting films proccessed rather than going for 35mm.

Last edited:
At the moment the only Yashica available from the shop is the Yashica 44 which I think takes 127 film rather than 120, and I havn't heard very good things about the Seagulls. The TLRs listed above all have a good name behind them and I'm happy to pay the price so I'm not too worried about getting something cheaper.

I did look at the Mamiyas but I think they are a bit too expensive (over £100 generally), and I'd rather avoid ebay if possible because most people don't guarantee the camera is working.

Last edited:
Hi guys I'm thinking of buying a TLR as my first real go at film and need some advice. I've found a few TLR's online and in (apparently) in good working order, but I'm finding it hard to choose which one to get. The cameras available are:

Rolleiflex Old Standard (621) with f3.8 Tessar- £60
Rolleicord I - £50/£60
Rolleicord III - £60
Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1c - £60
MPP Microcord - £90/£100

Where have you seen these prices?

I ask, because they happen to match those listed by an online seller with a certain reputation on UK forums.. once bitten, twice shy - I wouldn't touch his stuff with a barge pole even at those prices.

Where have you seen these prices?

I ask, because they happen to match those listed by an online seller with a certain reputation on UK forums.. once bitten, twice shy - I wouldn't touch his stuff with a barge pole even at those prices.

Funnily enough I've actually just taken a look at some online reviews and it does confirm what you just said - bit of a shame really but thanks for the warning! Looks like it's back to ebay unless anyone can point in the direction of another legitimate seller?

Rolleicord Vb, wish I had never parted with it, Bronny SQa I have now but will probably get another Vb as it was a dream to use.

You can get a good bargain on Ebay if you're careful, there are some good sellers out there. And don't overlook your local charity shops, but you'll need to be a regular browser to find the bargains (my best find has been a near-mint Yashica D).

I can recommend a Yashica D is you can find one as they tend to be reasonably priced and are a well built, good looking camera. But if you're more interested in the TLR aesthetic rather than strictly a true TLR, then I don't think you'll get anything much cheaper than an Ensign Ful-Vue. There are literally thousands of them scattered across Ebay and junk/antique shops across the country. The only one to avoid is the Ful-Vue Super because it tales 620, otherwise the other models in the range are 6x6 on 120.

I've seen good reviews of the Yashica D so that's on list to keep an eye out for. Not having used a TLR before I'm not sure how I'd get on with a pseudo-TLR, might be worth a shot though if I come across one cheap. The main reason for wanting to get a film camera (apart from the curiosity/enjoyment factors) is to force me to improve my composition and use of natural light, and a TLR seemed like it would be a bit more interesting than staying with the 35mm SLR form factor.

I've bought some stuff from what I assume is Rocky Cameras, it's okay, but the descriptions are intentionally vague and do not really mean it is in working order - optically perfect is a very different thing.

Anyway - in general, Yashica TLRs - try and get the Yashinon lenses. Rollei, avoid the earlier ones, IV and V are generally the best, and Tessar/Xenar lenses are a better bet. Good TLRs hold their value anyway, so you'll be able to sell it on for little loss to your wallet, should you need to.

If you are serious about using a TLR a lot then save some more money and get a good one.
If you want to save money go for the older Rolleicords and Yashicas, just bear in mind the older you go the greater chance the camera will need repairing; a friend of mine got a Yashica 635 on eBay for about £55 i think, was a full kit with filters, good condition but the shutter was stuck and it needed new light seals so she paid another £30-40 to have it fixed.

I'm slightly biased when i say this as i have one but save some money and get a Yashica MAT 124G, i got mine on eBay for £115 including P&P and it's like new, the going rate seems to be between £80-150 depending on condition and accessories. It's worth it though, it's probably the best TLR in that price range, the next step up are Rolleiflexes and Mamiyas.

With the 124G you get a TLR with a coupled light meter (not perfect but good enough for most films), coupled focusing on the ground glass, pop-down finder if you have trouble framing on the glass, crank handle film advance, self timer, takes a normal cable release, PC socket for flash, and last but not least a superb lens, check out the 124G group on flickr to see what it can do. I did spend an extra £20 on a Bay-1 to 49mm step up ring so i could use common 49mm filters on it instead of hunting down obscure Bay-1 filters.

If you want to try the form factor of a TLR (some people hate using them) you can do that on the cheap with something like a Halina A1 TLR, usually under £20, very basic but does have coupled focusing on the ground glass, i would class it's quality as just above Lomo but it's a good cheap way to see if you like using TLR.

If you want to save some money, the 124G is probably a waste - the earlier 124, EM and original Mat models all have the exact same lens and optics, and thus you are paying for slightly newer aesthetics.

If you want to save some money, the 124G is probably a waste - the earlier 124, EM and original Mat models all have the exact same lens and optics, and thus you are paying for slightly newer aesthetics.

Agree - add the LM into that list too. They are generally better made than the 124G too which is a bit more plasticky but does have the benefit of being newer - many of these earlier ones are around 50 years old, whereas the 124G was made into the 80s.

Agree - add the LM into that list too. They are generally better made than the 124G too which is a bit more plasticky but does have the benefit of being newer - many of these earlier ones are around 50 years old, whereas the 124G was made into the 80s.

I knew I'd left one out. I started with an original Yashica Mat, love TLRs. They are great things.

I bought a non working Yashica 635, it was a lot of very enjoyable faffing getting it working again, but very satisfying :)
Great cameras.

That was my main thought for recommending the 124G over the others as it is newer and easier to find a working copy, i have no issue with the older ones other than they are a riskier buy and will probably need a service.

Do read up on Minolta Autocords (really excellent) and Ricohflexes (many like them a lot- and they're cheap) before buying a Yashica. German TLRs-- Rolleiflex/cords and Ikoflexes are very well built--get a good one and you have a camera for life. My Rolleiflex is a joy to use (so smooooth and quiet) but not everyone gets on with TLRs.
PS
I wrote a much longer message but, tho I'd signed in, this annoying site said I couldn't post it ! Had to sign in again... but lost original message. Bah!
PPS Mamiyas--heavy
Microcords--v. dim screens
Seagulls--crude
Steve.

Last edited:
Sorry Mustanir...shouldn't have dissed all Seagulls...you obviously have one of the good ones, but I think you have to be lucky....

Got my girlfriend a Ricoh Diacord for Xmas last year, looks quite similar to that MPP. I paid a tenner. Needed some screws tightening and I whipped the mirror out n gave it a wee polish before I wrapped it up.

The key to a good seagull is to get a REAL one, not one made since the Lomography Society came into existence. As for the op, can't go wrong with a Rollei or if the budget doesn't allow for one, a Yashica.

Well I'm still not sure an early Seagull would be a good bet ---they have a reputation for (amongst various other possible faults) having badly vignetting lenses. However I agree totally re. Rolleis-- the R'cords (V Va Vb) are splendid machines and the R'flex T is good and has the crank....none of these are ludicrously expensive.

Back