Need help picking a desktop

Name
Sean Logie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,i'm in the hunt for some pointers regarding a desktop ,budget's £600 MAX!!.Present comp is a dell dimension DE 051,to be honest i'd quite like o stick with dell as i think there ok ,but am open to suggestions .

New desktop has to be able to run photoshop alot quicker than present comp ,i download the odd film,bit of music .But in general i'm looking for better speed and storage .Is there a big difference between dual core and quad core processors , don't have much knowledge regarding computers and the like so any help would be just dandy,ta for looking (y)

To be fair for just a bit of photoshoping your gonna be just as good with a dual core as a quad. The only need for a quad is if your gonna be using the pc very intensively and running very demanding programs.

I think if you went to a local computer shop and get a custom made pc will work out cheeper than a branded 1, I have always built my own since IO bought my 1st pc and had nothing but problems with it (Time brand) .

should handle anything you want to do really.. you might want to change the OS option to 64 bit for free to future proof yourself memory wise.

For £60 less how would you rate this ....

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8200 Quad Core Processor(2.33GHz,4MB Cache,1333MHz)
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit - English
Midi-Tower ATX Chassis + 550W PSU + CardReader - Silver
ASUS P5QL Mainboard - Intel Core™ 2 Duo/ Quad/ Extreme - ATX
4GB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM - (2x 2GB)
500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
Samsung 22x Dual Layer DVD Writer Super Format +R/-R/RW/RAM
1GB ATI HD4670 Graphics accelerator - DVI, DirectX 10.1 PCI Express 2
52-in-1 Multi-format Memory Card Reader (ATX)
7.1 High Definition onboard sound card - for 8 Channel Cinema sound
1 Year Hardware Warranty - Return to Base Parts and Labour (UK Mainland only)

Are you completely opposed to building your own?

If you use Windows 7 which is free until March and then buy a copy (you may want to pre-order a copy at PC World, they have the Home Premium version for £44.99 right now which is very cheap) you can get a better spec for far less money.

ixt3qx.jpg

£140 less than the one above, faster CPU, larger HD, faster graphics card, same sound, card reader etc. Even with a copy of vista it's considerably less expensive.

Are you completely opposed to building your own?

If you use Windows 7 which is free until March and then buy a copy (you may want to pre-order a copy at PC World, they have the Home Premium version for £44.99 right now which is very cheap) you can get a better spec for far less money.

ixt3qx.jpg

£140 less than the one above, faster CPU, larger HD, faster graphics card, same sound, card reader etc. Even with a copy of vista it's considerably less expensive.

Looks good ,really not sure about self build at all ,don't have the know how :D
What store or site is this kit from?

The AMD Phenoms are excellent CPUs however there is one thing that they lose out at... and that's photoshop, for some reason the Core 2 Quads are about 30% faster (everything else they're much the same, the Phenom being a little better for gaming).

It's really quite easy, Corsair have an excellent step by step guide. It's a little dated now but still relevant: http://www.corsair.com/systembuil/report.aspx?report_id=12472&sid=1

If you have any questions I am sure the people here or on a forum like OcUK/Hexus/[H] etc. will be able to offer you advice.

The shop was eBuyer as Shadow said.

I thought that, but the was convinced to give it a go. It really is simple. Take your time follow an online guide (I used one off youtube) and it really is easy. Saved a load of money and got my confidence with changing components etc. up at the same time. Go for it (you know you want to:D)

What you will learn is that computers aren't half as fragile as people think they are and you will soon be pulling stuff out and sticking in new replacements without a second thought.

Back