Need help picking a new camera

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I'm very much an amature when it comes to photography.

I currently own a Fujifilm AX350 Compact 16MP but want to upgrade to a more modern camera which can record HD videos as well have a good camera for taking still pictures.

I am a plane spotter and many have suggested I get a DSLR but looking at the prices of those I am unsure if I can afford one (due to extras required such as lens etc). When going plane spotting I tend to only take closeup pictures as I tend to go to spots where I can get close to the runway (e.g. Manchester's spotting park). Shutter speed would be a setting I would need to be able to change but I do like having auto-xyz functions :)

Budget wise I am thinking no more than £300-£400 but can stretch it out if need be as have savings.

Please advise me as I need help :) Thank you in advance for any help and advice as I really appreciate it :)

What about the Fuji FinePix S1. If you're shooting outdoors it's supposed to be weatherproof, which could be a big feature..

Hi, thanks for the replies. These are both a little on the expensive side. Are there cheaper alternatives?

I had a Panasonic FZ330 before moving to DSLR, great all round bridge camera, many features, great zoom range, 4K video, moveable focus point after picture has been taken normal DSLR modes.
Only 12.1mp, but unless your blowing up to billboard size still enough, plenty of videos on YouTube about it, Graham Horton has done a great series of videos.
Visit Panasonic’s web site all the info on there.
I really enjoyed owning mine.

What about a Compact System Camera option?

If you go used you can get a Sony A6000 for £300 (probably less if you shop about) and a used Sony 55-210mm OSS lens for £139. The body (not including the lens) is compact yet has an APS-C sized sensor so plenty of quality and room to crop, it will do 1080p at good bitrates and also 11fps. The lens gives good reach at an equiv of 315mm.

There's other CSC systems out there also. Compact and Bridge cameras tend to have tiny 1/2.3" sensors, even a 1" sensor is quite small.

But if willing to look at used then you'll get a lot more for your money.

mirrorlesssensors.jpg

Hi all,

Went to Jessops today in the city centre and spoke to one of their staff members.

I was originally going to get either of the above mentioned compact cameras but after speaking with the staff member at Jessops and the offer they provided I got the entry level Canon 1300D with 18-55mm lens and lowepro adventura tlz 20 ii carry bag :) Total cost £326.99.

I've been recommended to get a larger lens so will have a look around for a reasonably priced 135mm or higher (200mm has been suggested to me).

Thank you for all your help :)

Last edited:
Back