Beginner need help Salmon photo location NW (pics added)

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
I made a post and cant see it? trying again :)

I ahve never photogrpahed salmon jumping but always wanted to... can anyone help in locations NW england.. i ahve time on my hands this month and I believe Nov a good time..

Not interested in lockdown discussions thank you.. as i could do this without breaking laws :)

No idea but something maybe to bear in mind that salmon will be on "salmon rivers" where licensed fishing goes on but you need a location with either a natural weir or a manmade one to see let alone photograph the leaping....................the question that comes to mind is whether such a leaping location is in the fishing licensed inaccessible areas of the river or publicly accessible???

No idea but something maybe to bear in mind that salmon will be on "salmon rivers" where licensed fishing goes on but you need a location with either a natural weir or a manmade one to see let alone photograph the leaping....................the question that comes to mind is whether such a leaping location is in the fishing licensed inaccessible areas of the river or publicly accessible???

Fair point :) My thinking is.. others can photogrpah them so I must be able to.. if that requires a fishing licence to get to the location then I would be happy with that as well .. Problem is I just dont know ..

Near Sedgwick, south of Kendal on river Kent.
Close to M6 J. 36.
Take A590 towards Windermere and Lakes.
2 miles approx come off at roundabout for A590 (again) SP Barrow.
Keep going round the junction and take Nannypole Lane (SP Sedgwick I think).

200 yds road swings to left over a bridge but just keep going straight down a side road (I think this is force lane)
It's a dead end but you can park. River on LHS flows down some rocky mini falls and salmon have to jump to progress.
I've been a few times, never managed to get one jumping, I was too slow.
It's a popular site this time of year, especially after a heavy rain.

No licence required, you are just taking photos from a public road.

Good luck.

Try Stainforth Force on the Ribble a few miles north of Settle, but the water levels are high at the moment.

THANKS
Looked on map.. any idea wherabouts? seems a big area?

Near Sedgwick, south of Kendal on river Kent.
Close to M6 J. 36.
Take A590 towards Windermere and Lakes.
2 miles approx come off at roundabout for A590 (again) SP Barrow.
Keep going round the junction and take Nannypole Lane (SP Sedgwick I think).

200 yds road swings to left over a bridge but just keep going straight down a side road (I think this is force lane)
It's a dead end but you can park. River on LHS flows down some rocky mini falls and salmon have to jump to progress.
I've been a few times, never managed to get one jumping, I was too slow.
It's a popular site this time of year, especially after a heavy rain.

No licence required, you are just taking photos from a public road.

Good luck.

THANK YOU Just what i needed.... i belive just after rain is a good time... might try tomorrow :)

Try Stainforth Force on the Ribble a few miles north of Settle, but the water levels are high at the moment.

That looks like a super location :)

And it mentions that they have one of the ancient route 'Packhorse Brdiges' somewhere there....................worth a record photograph if nothing of that alone IMO ;)

What sort of time in the morning.. read early but do they mean 7am early or mid morning?

Its not a sudden whim.. I have asked about this a few times over the years on these forums and never managed to do it.. seemed like locations where some sort of guarded secret :) But work mostly as a self employed photogrpaher meant not many hrs spare.. It would seem the timing is just right this year

I am going in the morning aim to get there first light about 7.30 am and hope for the best.. no rush so will hang about

Done a bit of reading.. will pre focus on a tripod with a remote at hand leaving me free to try with other lens as well.. one camera triggering the other

probably come back wiht nowt to show haha.. but its been on my list for years so at least i can say done..

THANKS for you help everyone.. fingers crossed and yes will show what i got :)

Well it wasn't brilliant but wasn't a disaster either.. bit of a schoolboy error only realised when I got home...

I had two locations to go.. First up was Stainforth Forth and the second up towards kendal... Sorry to say I didnt make the second.. (sorry @Peter123 will do next time appreciate your help) .. Got there around 7.30 and managed to park right up at the river :) Only me there..... stayed for an hr... staring at a waterfall none stop waiting to press a button my eyes where going wobbly ...

It was misty when i got there and early mornign light isnt the brightest so shooting hish ISO and f2.8 which shouldnt be a problem,,, BUT I focused on the water.. should ahve back focused a foot or so :( plus as shooting iso 6400 shutter was 640 then as mornign went on got iso 2500 and 800 shutter

so as with any photogrpahy its a learning thing... :)

First two pics are handheld with 24-70 and second two are 70-200 on tripod shot remotely and the ones i should ahve back focused from the water.. or a nice day and f8 :)

001_salmon.JPG

002_salmon.JPG

003_salmon.JPG

004_salmon.JPG

Personally I think you have done a great job getting those.

@KIPAX Excellent FIRST job at capturing the salmon at Stainforth. You might like to know October is a good month for them too. But it all depends on how much water there is in the river at Stainforth Foss. The focussing looks spot on. You can never tell where they will jump out of the water, so your focus will never be correct unless you have fast hands and focus:LOL:

Sea trout also jump the falls too.

There's also another spot you could try, but don't take your car down or the owners of the building may complain. See photo.

And you could watch them lower down at the bridge between Giggleswick and Settle, but you would need a telephoto lens.

Attachments

• SALMON.jpg
    SALMON.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 18
Back to same location end of this month.. Missed last year but raring to go this October.. start of last week I think

Anyone else been or going this yr? Taking remote again as thats best chance.. gonna stick GoPro on top as well for a bit of footage :)

Something I've never tried but wanted to. I'm not quite sure how to predict a jump, timing must be evrything. A salmon ladder would probably be the best spot.

I was watching trout trying to navigate a large weir near to home just on Sunday past. Fascinating to watch and they always seemed to fail but never gave up.

Back