Need help to open CorelDraw file

Name
Ted
Edit My Images
No
Hi all.

Can anyone suggest me how to open .cdr file without CorelDraw?

Thanks in advance

Inkscape can open .cdr files.

Inkscape.org is a free open source vector drawing application. So it will let you make changes to the imported CorelDraw files, such as fix different text fonts. Inkscape misses some of the niceties of CorelDraw. But it's still a nice program to use.

Note, some .cdr files from different versions of CorelDraw give different results. And some older ones might no longer open.

Last edited:
If you type the following into google many alternatives will appear

'open a coreldraw file without coreldraw'

Hi all.

Can anyone suggest me how to open .cdr file without CorelDraw?

Thanks in advance

Some other programs may open .cdr files if possible, not all of them do, but some may. One example is Adobe Illustrator which can open some .cdr files.

Check the program's specifications to see what other file format it can support, if it says it can support .cdr, then you could use it.

But if you use a different program, like for example Adobe Illustrator, you have to accept that the .cdr file you worked on would not be 100% the same once in a different program. For example CorelDRAW can do something Adobe Illustrator can't do, and equally Adobe Illustrator can do something CorelDRAW can't do. You may open your .cdr file but noticed a little problem here and there, could be for example, one shape is wrong, or the background is wrong, because what is done in CorelDRAW do not work in Illustrator.

The best option is to create your artwork in whatever program you use at that time, and always export a finished look in .JPG or .PDF file, that way if one day in the future, you changed the software, and no longer can open the original file, hopefully you still have the raster version to show for all your efforts.

I'm importing my old .cdr files into Adobe Illustrator and turning them into .ai files, but at the same time, I'm making copies either in .JPG or .PDF format in case one day in future I stopped using Illustrator.

Some other programs may open .cdr files if possible, not all of them do, but some may. One example is Adobe Illustrator which can open some .cdr files.

Check the program's specifications to see what other file format it can support, if it says it can support .cdr, then you could use it.

But if you use a different program, like for example Adobe Illustrator, you have to accept that the .cdr file you worked on would not be 100% the same once in a different program. For example CorelDRAW can do something Adobe Illustrator can't do, and equally Adobe Illustrator can do something CorelDRAW can't do. You may open your .cdr file but noticed a little problem here and there, could be for example, one shape is wrong, or the background is wrong, because what is done in CorelDRAW do not work in Illustrator.

The best option is to create your artwork in whatever program you use at that time, and always export a finished look in .JPG or .PDF file, that way if one day in the future, you changed the software, and no longer can open the original file, hopefully you still have the raster version to show for all your efforts.

I'm importing my old .cdr files into Adobe Illustrator and turning them into .ai files, but at the same time, I'm making copies either in .JPG or .PDF format in case one day in future I stopped using Illustrator.
Yes, or if you use the free Inkscape, you can save it in plain SVG. SVG can be viewed in web browsers, and is the official W3C open standard for vector graphics.

I want to say thank you for taking the time to share how to go about fixing this.

Back