Beginner Need help upgrading my lens

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys I'm looking for some help, My sister wants some shots of her kids and has asked me to do them. These aren't for an occasion so I don't need to get it right on the day so to speak.
In my bag I have a 5D mkiii and these lenses, 24-105mm F4, 50mm 1.8 & 100mm Macro 2.8.

I think I would like to get a better lens for portraits but would kind of like to use it on other things too. I've been pondering on the 24-70mm f2.8 or the ART 50mm 1.4

Any Advice?

Thanks

Forget the new lenses for now. Plenty in your current set up to get fabulous shots of the kids. Concentrate more on light/posing and the expressions from the kids.

S

^ This is good advice...

The 50mm and 100mm are both great for portraits and you're 24-105 is great for wider environmental portraits.

full length or group portraits, 50mm is excellent
close up, then the 100mm is excellent
I don't see a problem.
however, you don't mention any lighting or speedlites so I can't assume that you have any of those.

My bad, Yeah i have 3 speedlites and thats it on the lighting front. I have triggers also for off camera flash. Can anyone recommend a good tutorial or book on lighting people with speedlites?

Speedlighters handbook, light science magic, hot shoe diaries and the strobist website.

AND the lencarta website has some useful tutorials.

Speedlighters handbook, light science magic, hot shoe diaries and the strobist website.

AND the lencarta website has some useful tutorials.

Light Science & Magic is superb but doesn't have all that much on lighting people. Strobist101 is a great place to start. If you just need acquire some kit then some lighting modifiers, stands and the like should do the job!

Hey guys I'm looking for some help, My sister wants some shots of her kids and has asked me to do them. These aren't for an occasion so I don't need to get it right on the day so to speak.
In my bag I have a 5D mkiii and these lenses, 24-105mm F4, 50mm 1.8 & 100mm Macro 2.8.

I think I would like to get a better lens for portraits but would kind of like to use it on other things too. I've been pondering on the 24-70mm f2.8 or the ART 50mm 1.4

Any Advice?

Thanks

The 24-70 is a great lens, but if you do any low light photography at all, the 24-105 with IS is invaluable.

Can't believe people have all this kit and don't know how to use it. You are perfectly equipped - equipment wise to do this shoot. The question is are you up to it. Buying more lenses won't change that.

Wait!! At what point did I say I don't know how to use my gear?? I simply asked what is a good lens for portraits. Being an area that I haven't dabbled in before I decided to ask people with much more knowledge than me on the given subject.

So snap-happy please indulge me. What is the constructive point you're making here? Is it because of the camera I have? Because I'm lacking in skills I should have a low end model?? I don't get why you needed to come across as a dick!
I think this will be my last post on these forums. Thanks!

Wait!! At what point did I say I don't know how to use my gear?? I simply asked what is a good lens for portraits. Being an area that I haven't dabbled in before I decided to ask people with much more knowledge than me on the given subject.

So snap-happy please indulge me. What is the constructive point you're making here? Is it because of the camera I have? Because I'm lacking in skills I should have a low end model?? I don't get why you needed to come across as a dick!
I think this will be my last post on these forums. Thanks!
If you read his post again in a happy and inquisitive tone instead of a sarky one, you'll not see it as 'having a go' but he's telling you that you don't need to buy any gear for this task.
Now we've established you have all the gear you need, maybe you should start another thread asking for useful tips in a field you're unfamiliar with.

Tips about technique are much more important than tips about gear, it's a real shame the Internet is full of the latter.

If you read his post again in a happy and inquisitive tone instead of a sarky one, you'll not see it as 'having a go' but he's telling you that you don't need to buy any gear for this task.
Tried that, didn't work. :)

I was trying to be helpful and save you money. You have the equipment you need. Experiment. Practice. Only you will know what lenses you need but only after exhausting the existing possibilities.

Forget the new lenses for now. Plenty in your current set up to get fabulous shots of the kids. Concentrate more on light/posing and the expressions from the kids.

S

Some good tips above.

The 50 1.8 is my my choice, I have a 28-70 2.8 (aka the beast) but tend to find myself reaching for the nifty fifty, although you do have to get a little closer but I like that

I agree with the others here I think your more the covered with the lenses you own I can't see what a 24/28-70/80 f2.8 would add to what your already using.
With kids a 24-105 f 4 should be perfect !

IF you really feel the need for another 'lens' then any of these 3 are great - Nikon 85mm 1.4, Nikon 85mm 1.8 - cheapest, Sigma 85mm 1.4.

However with the lens you have, a set of reflectors may be a much cheaper way of doing it...

Back