Beginner Need help with choosing photo restoration program

Name
Jacob
Edit My Images
No
Hi all!
Could you please recommend any good software that works with old photos (i.e. restoration, recoloring, general fixing)? I use Gimp for general editing but I can do the basic stuff and now I was asked by a family member to restore several of his old photos. They aren't badly damaged, but the best I can do in Gimp is to remove some of the worst scratches and crop the worn out edges. So if there is any automatic photo editor that does better and deeper restoration, please, let me know!

Unfortunately, there's no software that automatically restores photos (unless someone knows better). Personally, I use Photoshop for all my repair work, a bit expensive if you only use it occasionally. Others on here will have their own preference. Any chance of putting some up so I can see how extensive the 'damage' is?

Unfortunately, there's no software that automatically restores photos (unless someone knows better). Personally, I use Photoshop for all my repair work, a bit expensive if you only use it occasionally. Others on here will have their own preference. Any chance of putting some up so I can see how extensive the 'damage' is?
These photos don't belong to me, so I'm afraid I can't post them. I hadn't start yet, didn't even scan them, so I can't tell you how much work would be needed. There are deep scratches on the two of them (7 total), others have small stains, almost all of them have worn out edges and all are faded. It's not that crucial, but I wwant to try and make them look somewhat better. I'm just afraid there's not much I can do with my current skills, so I thought about some AI help.

I don't think there is anything in the field of image editing where 'Automatic' actually does a good job.

From what I understand gimp has a perfectly capable set of tools that would enable you to restore photos, Its more down to your skillset.
Personally I've restored a lot of old photos and there are so many different things that can be damaged all of which require different techniques its impossible to give you an answer on how to do it.

I don't think there is anything in the field of image editing where 'Automatic' actually does a good job.

From what I understand gimp has a perfectly capable set of tools that would enable you to restore photos, Its more down to your skillset.
Personally I've restored a lot of old photos and there are so many different things that can be damaged all of which require different techniques its impossible to give you an answer on how to do it.
Nope, I'm not asking how to do it, I know I gotta sort it out on my own :) It's just that I thought there are some special programs to do that.

Gimp can be used for that perfectly, here is a tutorial about restoring photos with it's help-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zykCusbB0J4

I don't know any automatic programs that would magically do all the work for you, but you can check out Photoglory and Inpaint (there is a try-it-oline mode, too), they are said to be good at fixing damages. Personally, I don't like photo editing which is entirely automatic, its shots just never hit.
Yeah, can't help but agree here, automatic isn't always the best, but I just hoped there is at least something. Thanks!

Photoshop 2021- Is what I use and in fact have in the past removed scratches etc from old Sepia photos :)

Les :)

PS if you want to send me one - I'll give it restoration for you - PM me for my email address if this is of interest to you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back