Need help with lens upgrade

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Just upgraded to a D7000 and looking to swap my 18-105 kit lens for something a bit faster.

I have my 35mm 1.8 which I love but I could do with something a bit wider and a decent range for a walkabout lens.

Iv been looking at the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC at £119 which looks a bargain but a few reviews say its sluggish and soft at its widest.

Anyone have first hand experience?

Thanks

Are you talking about the 18-50mm f2.8 or sigma 18-50mm f2.8-4.5 dc os hsm

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, depends on your budget?

Last edited:
Bit skint at the minute, just spotted it for a steal and thought it was too good to be true. Was going to stick a few quid on top of my kit lens for it.

Used a++ condition.

The question really should have been 'will it perform as well as my kit lens' As apart from low light situations i never had an issue with the 18-105

I have had the 18-50 f2.8 lens and I found it to be a great performer, on my then D7000. For me it was better than the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 which I tried and returned as it was struggling to focus. Also the close up (macro) on the lens was usefull.

To me it was a step up over the 18-55 kit lens I had and for £119.00 pound you cant complain, so I would give it a go. Only thing is, can you cope with losing 55mm of the long end of your current lens??

If you could afford it, could you buy the Sigma and keep the Nikon to see how you get on, you can then sell either with not to much, or any money loss.

Im not really bothered about loosing the extra zoom as I always find myself at the widest end 99% of the time. And I also find the 105 isnt really long enough to take any detailed shots of birds etc so i will invest in a decent zoom when I get the spare cash.

Think I'l take your word for it and jump in and buy it and see

Back