Need help with my settings with sea and ship

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to get a picture of a ship whilst sailing in the sea which I would normal shoot at a higher shutter speed to freeze the movement & prevent blur however I want to freeze the water like doing a long exposure but can’t think of the best route to take. I want silky smooth water whilst having the ship nice and sharp .

There are two aspects to the shot. The long exposure for the water and the short exposure for the boat. The image you are describing can't be made with a single exposure.
Two separate exposures with careful blending would seem to be the way to go.

That’s good to know thanks - I think I am going to have to choose between one or the other as my subject maybe moving to quickly to get both those exposures in time.

That’s good to know thanks - I think I am going to have to choose between one or the other as my subject maybe moving to quickly to get both those exposures in time.

You may be able to get the LE of the water, BEFORE the ship passes.

I see what your saying but I am not sure my PS skills stretch’s that far

There is a technique for stacking multiple shots taken in burst mode. I believe photoshop can align and stack by itself but I've done it manually in GIMP with some success.
You bring in all the shots as layers the align and adjust the transparency of each layer to merge them down.
You would need to shoot a burst of several images for a completely fixed position then mask the boat. I'm not sure what would happen with the wake, you might have to blend that too.
The technique is explained in this video. Which some will find controversial.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YcZkCnPs45s

I'd certainly try and take a single long exposure before the ship enters the frame if you have a suitable ND filter and a sharp image of the boat to combine too.

Back