Need help with new kit please.

Name
Lyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
Sometimes the Internet can be a wonderful thing. But when it comes to help with photography gear it can change your mind a 1000 times leaving you with no idea what you need.
This is my second post after finding this wonderful site. I have been into photography for roughly 18 months but serious bug took hold last year. I have D7000 with 18-200 VR DX, 35mm DX prime and Tokina 100 f2.8 macro. The thing is I want to get into FF and settled on D750. I knew I would need lenses as the Tokina was the only true FX lens. Then I started reading about the D500. That got me thinking, I would be OK for lenses if I got that, but would it satisfy my wanting to try FF?
I returned to look at lenses to go with D750 if I went that route. Then it all went pear shaped lol. I would look at a lens that I thought right for me, then research it, that's when the Internet plays tricks on you. You find a lens, then they say a different brand is better. Then you look at that brand and they say a different focal length would be better. So you look at that and then you find that to long a zoom is not a good option. And it keeps going round and round till you have no idea what to get Aaaarrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
So, here I am asking people who use the kit and know what's good or not.
Firstly, D500 or D750? I love travel photography but I find myself leaning more towards people and portraits. Need something I can lug around all day.
If D750, lenses? I understand the importance of not trying to overlap lenses on focal length and I want overtime to build a quality set of lenses. Ideally I could win the lottery and buy the Nikon holy trinity lol. Anyway, that's not going to happen so I have been looking at the 24-70 f2.8 non VR due to cost or Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC. But here comes the kicker, is that to big to lug around all day on my travels? Another lens that seems to be liked is the Nikon 24-120 f4 (panamoz do a nice price on D750 + this lens as a package).
See I could go on and on with ideas I've seen but the truth is I don't know enough to decide.
Do I get better glass and stick with D7000 or move up to D750 and find a lens to start off with that covers what I need?
Clearly what I need is hhhhhhheeeeellllllllllpppppppppppppppppppp.

I appreciate any help you can give.
Cheers,
Lyn aka ETF.

You don't know which advice to take because you don't know what you want. The reason you don't know what you want is that you haven't explored the camera and lenses you already have. Finding out how to get the best from what you've got will show which of its various limitations matter to you and the kinds of photography you like. That will tell in what specific ways you should aim at upgrading your gear. That in turn will tell you which advice is relevant to you. If you just go out and buy a better camera and better lenses you run the risk of ending up like the posters who ask why is it that they've spent all this money getting better gear and it's not taking as good photographs as they used to get.

:agree:
That's the best advice you can get.

My first Digital camera was the Canon 350D and the 18-55mm kit lens which I had for 5 years before I felt the need to move on.

Looking at the specs of your camera it looks very good so before you consider spending any more money just start using it!

Given that you say your main interest is people and portraits then the D500 will not really offer you anything over the D7000 (it will be better in low light but ...). The D750 would be a better fit for that. As far as Nikon full frame cameras go the D750 is the best all rounder too.

However I mainly agree with Chris' advice above, you need to know what is holding you back with your current gear. But if you WANT to change then change and enjoy the process :) - the 24-70's can be quite heavy but a decent strap like a black rapid will help there.

Have to agree that of the consumer grade Nikon FF DSLRs, the D750 is the best value. The 8?0 will deliver more pixels but is a heavier beast to lug around all day. The 24-120 f/4 is a great partner for the D750 unless you need the extra light grabbing or shallow DoF that the f/2.8 options give you (at a price...)

Since you seem to be set on a relatively imminent switch up to FF anyway, I would be tempted to get some good FF suitable lenses for the time being (buy second hand and you shouldn't lose too much if you change your mind) and get an FF body when more funds become available (you never know, you COULD win on the lottery [if you do it!]).

Sorry been awhile posting but not been well. I have been thinking which way to go and I have been looking over my photos and what I tend to take most. I have decided to take the advice Chris gave. I need to learn much more using what I have and know my camera and how to use it correctly before needing to move on. Thank you for all your replies. Wish me luck on my journey.
Lyn.

Back