need helpwith an ebay purchase

Name
Ujjwal
Edit My Images
No
I just won a bid on the ebay; and promptly paid by ebay.

I just got this message from the seller

Hi - thanks for buying my [..... ].The payment has not come through to me because you appear to have sent money to my Paypal account using the wrong address namely *****@****. The correct address is ****@****. Would you please amend this error to allow me to send the camera to you asap.
Many thanks [********].

I checked; and the no money had been collected from my paypal. So I cancelled the payment.

Is this something funny going on? Like someone hijacked the account; and now asking folks to pay in another account.

Seems funny to me, may be I am being paranoid.

What should be my next course of action?

Last edited:
Be careful. This stinks of - buy my item, I say oops sorry wrong paypal address, send it to XYZ, and then I will tell ebay you never paid when I didnt send the goods out.

The seller sets the email address for paypal when putting the auction up. Ask them to ammend, then make sure you pay using the 'My Ebay' pay now link, dont just send to them from payal. If they are genuine then they will have no problems with doing this.

If it is a scam they are trying to disconnect the payment from the sale if that makes sense?

Last edited:
Be careful. This stinks of - buy my item, I say oops sorry wrong paypal address, send it to XYZ, and then I will tell ebay you never paid when I didnt send the goods out.

The seller sets the email address for paypal when putting the auction up. Ask them to ammend, then make sure you pay using the 'My Ebay' pay now link, dont just send to them from payal.

Indeed. Assuming you used eBay's system to make the payment, then the seller has the wrong details entered.

As above - tell the seller to amend his details. :)

:thinking: smell a rat here open up a dispute and see what they have to say in discussion.

If you followed the pay links from eBay, as the others say it must be his error, not yours and he should ammend his email address in his eBay/paypal profile.
Of interest, I did this once and entered an incorrect digit in my eBay profile so had to ammend it after someone tried to send me a payment, so it may be a genuine mistake.

I'm wondering... If a buyer does send a payment to an incorrect address, is the seller in a position to see which incorrect address that is?

I think there is a way to pay for an ebay item directly via Paypal.

When you start the payment process Paypal will ask what the payment is for.

1. eBay purchase
2. Goods etc. etc.

I'm sure if you select eBay purchase they will then ask you for the Auction ID number.
This will at least tie your payment to the auction.

It may be a legitimate error on the sellers part, and to be honest I don't think he is able to change the payment address now that the auction has ended.

Of course it may be a total fraud.

I'm wondering... If a buyer does send a payment to an incorrect address, is the seller in a position to see which incorrect address that is?

Don't think so but he could obviously see if his email address was in error.
I certainly wouldn't be making any changes as the seller - the buyer needs to rectify his error (if it is genuine).

Sorry, I need to clarify that I paid by using the 'Pay It Now' button. So I couldn't have made any mistake.

I asked the Seller to send me an invoice with the correct paypal addy; but this is what I got back

Hi - tnanks for your very quick reply. I had recieved emails from Paypal concerning the use of a wrong email address which appeared to be connected to the sale of the camera. I could only think whilst making a payment a typing error had occurred, however, your reply makes it plain Paypal has got it wrong and has caused us great concern. Indeed, I have had a protracted procedure to reconfirm my original email address.
Could I therefore ask you to make payment by the "send money now" facility having stopped the first money transfer.
I am sorry to have to seek your involvement in this matter but I believe it is the only way forward - this mess up is down to Paypal not me.
Thanks for your help

When I try to pay by paypal and say its an ebay item, it sends me back to ebay - and not accept the auction number.

I have offered the seller that I will collect personally and pay in cash; lets see what happens. I have also informed ebay

Never happened such stuff to me before; what an interesting friday evening. Mrs. Marple on the telly; and Hercule Poirot on the computer

Last edited:
I would be very concerned about that reply, what's the guy's feedback like?

Whilst eBay is home to many clever scams, I suspect this might just be a case of the seller not checking the Paypal address in his advert. If for some valid reason the email address he used for Paypal had changed, the automatic listing might still reflect his old address.

The seller has the option to reverse the payment received in the wrong account and you could then immediately make it to the right account.

In any case, if youpaid following the Paypal link from the auction site, you are covered by Paypal.

Just toclarify; did you follow the direct payment link from the ebay auction?

No no no and a bit more no. Dont do it.

This is fishier than a carp farm at peak season methinks.

All he has to do is ammend his paypal address then you pay via the proper ebay pay now link. If he is honest, he will wait!

Last edited:
Looking at his advert, it's likely that something in his Ebay account has been spelt wrong!

I can see three spelling mistakes and the use of effect instead of affect.

It could possibly have been a genuine mistake, as someone mentions above, you can pay into the e-mail address he wants you too, just make sure you tick that it's for an ebay payment and that you enter the item number into the correct place.

A few months ago I 'won' an enlarger on ebay. As they're expensive to post I only bid on stuff I was prepared to pick up. Contacted the guy for a suitable time and he said, er, actually, the address given wasn't his and he was 100 miles north. No problem just wrap it and send it. The post office wouldn't let him, apparently. Try a courier I say, being prepared to sub the postage to the tune suggested on the advert. I don't know how he said and launched into a tirade that he was only trying to make a few bob and I was being picky by still wanting the enlarger. He said he realised the address was wrong but couldn't change it (!) All because (IMO) I won the enlarger a lot cheaper than he'd hoped.

Some strange people on ebay. And yes I left negative feedback. Got diverted there Ujjwal but yes, I think he's a wrong'un and if he isn't he'll sort it out before demanding payment.

Avoid any payment, why take a chance, it's not your fault and he can't give you negative feedback....email the seller about your concerns and hopes he can sort it out with ebay for a new auction.

Really does sound dodgy. If he is legit, why not get him to relist it at the price you won at as a buy it now with the correct details and tell you exactly when he's doing it then click buy it now. If he is legit, he should agree as, it looks like it's his fault that you can't buy it now.
I would NOT under any circumstances buy it with a payment outside Ebay unless you want to lose your money.
I buy and sell on Ebay and, as a seller, you don't have to put your paypal account details in for every sale so, if it's wrong now, it must have been wrong for his other sales.

My advice would be Steer clear if he won't sell it directly through ebay !

Last edited:
Hi all.
This is my 1st post within the 'walls' of this great forum and I'd like to send a big thanks to Fraggle101 for pointing me in this direction.
Now my introduction is out of the way I would just like to say to Ajjwal 'Don't Do It'.
If the seller is genuine they wont mind sorting out the technical glitch that is standing in the way of your transaction.
Like others here have said , it's probably a misplaced digit within a paypal registered email address that's causing this hic-cup.
But at the end of the day it is up to you.
Will your world stop turning if you get fleeced for the sum of £94.90 ?

Jack

welcome to the forum.

We would really like you to be a valued member here - and love to see your photos

Thanks for your advice buddy.

Ujjwal

Another 'DONT DO IT ' from me too

The ONLY way your money is safe, is if you collect and pay cash.
The next best way is to pay THROUGH EBAY by paypal. You can claim you money back this way.

if you "send money" with paypal, then you have NO comeback whatsoever !

It is very easy for the seller to correct his mistake, and re-send you an invoice, or payment reminder from ebay.

Sorry for all the shouting in there, but it IS necessary :D

Good look, and I hope you get it sorted.

Maybe some kind TP member lives close enough to collect for you ?

Rich

I went and collected the camera in person today.

It was apparently a silly mistake by the seller.

Good result. Thanks for all the advice

I'm in the don't-do-it camp too mate, it's his problem not yours, let him sort it and relist as a BIN as suggested above. You can then both agree to cancel the initial auction and nobody pays any fees for it. Simples.

I'm in the don't-do-it camp too mate, it's his problem not yours, let him sort it and relist as a BIN as suggested above. You can then both agree to cancel the initial auction and nobody pays any fees for it. Simples.

It's funny isn't it Arthur; how the internet world has made us suspicious. I met the guy - an extremely decent man in his 60s - and well confused with the millions things you need to get right on the ebay business.

The camera was better than described. And he has a C330 he doesn't use. I registered my interest :LOL:

It's unfortunate, but it's not the Internet that made it so, it's the people.

The whole computer ruling our life has brought out the worst in us, collectively, I think

ujjwal,

You came up with the perfect solution there (y)

The whole computer ruling our life has brought out the worst in us, collectively, I think

I agree. This was not a scammer. You were never going to pay twice. Only when the first payment was reversed would you pay again and then only through the ebay payment system.

It is upsetting that we are all getting so paranoic.

Back