Need light! ..but what do I need........?

Edit My Images
Yes
OK, starting from basics...........

Mrs JB and I are good at outdoor stuff, but neither of us have done much indoor stuff. So, we need lights and other kit.

On the lighting front, we currently have a Speedlite 550EX (is that any good?) and............that's it! So, what do we need?

We don't want to spend thousands and we are not looking a complete studio set up. It needs to be easily moble.

I was thinking of a second flash (but which one) and stands, and brollies..........? What about remote triggering? Does anyone here use Lastolites and if so, which size?

How much could we get for between £300 and £500 (don't mind buying second hand).

Cheers!

A lightstand (£10), an umbrella (£5) and a set of Cactus "Ebay" Triggers (£20) and you're good to go...

With your 550EX you can control an other Canon flash remotely (430EX/550EX/580EX), it isn't the most reliable system, but if you are indoors and using line of sight you should be fine.

The other option would to be to go for a cheaper flash and radio triggers. I'd recommend having a look at the strobist website, it's about using flash guns off camera and has loads of information.

Ok, thanks. Don't I need a second flash.....?

Get two umbrellas, one reflective (black outside, silver inside) and one shoot-through (soft white diffuser).

Reflectors (standalone type - not the umbrella type) will negate the need of a second flash (within reason); many pros recommend learning the basics with umbrellas, one flash and reflector.

As you become more comfortable controlling the single flash in manual, you'll be ready to add more lights.

Back