Need new camera- what would you buy for £3000?

Name
Eve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello.

If you would have +/- £3000 what camera would you buy?
This budget need to include 1 lens.

It’s mainly for:
Landscapes
Travel
Insta shoots

Currently I am Nikon cropped sensor user.
And I want to upgrade.

What are yours picks and why?

Thanks [emoji1591]

What lenses do you already have? This may help people to suggest something suitable.

To be honest, I'd want to have two or three lenses for a DSLR to give me wide-angle, mid-range and some telephoto capability. This should cover most of the subjects you mention above. If you are thinking about a camera and just one lens as your kit then you'll probably find that a bit restrictive unless you can add some other lenses to your kit in a reasonably short space of time afterwards? If it's a one-off purchase then you'd probably be better going for a less fancy camera body and at least 2 good quality lenses to give you a bit of choice of focal length. Well, that's my opinion, see what the others suggest. (y)

Last edited:
Why ? What about your current set up do you feel is letting you down ?
If you've just got GAS and some money burning a hole in your pocket, then fair enough ;)
Well my Nikon served my well its old now and I really need upgrade.

Nothing wrong with old cameras. I am still using cameras made in the 1920s. I suspect that you just want a shiny new toy - nothing wrong with that, mind, just buy the shiniest one.

D810 + 24-70mm Nikon lens is the best combo in my opinion. I got mine as a grey import from Ireland and saved a bundle. Could not be happier with that camera. Plus you already have 2 nikon lenses

Last edited:
What lenses do you already have? This may help people to suggest something suitable.

To be honest, I'd want to have two or three lenses for a DSLR to give me wide-angle, mid-range and some telephoto capability. This should cover most of the subjects you mention above. If you are thinking about a camera and just one lens as your kit then you'll probably find that a bit restrictive unless you can add some other lenses to your kit in a reasonably short space of time afterwards? If it's a one-off purchase then you'd probably be better going for a less fancy camera body and at least 2 good quality lenses to give you a bit of choice of focal length. Well, that's my opinion, see what the others suggest. (y)

Good points here thanks.
With my Nikon I got 35mm, 50mm, 14-55mm, 55-200mm, 100-300mm.

Nothing wrong with old cameras. I am still using cameras made in the 1920s. I suspect that you just want a shiny new toy - nothing wrong with that, mind, just buy the shiniest one.

Haha you got me, and maybe you right. Maybe I just want to have second camera and I was thinking about SONY a7III - any one got one? Any thoughts?

Haha you got me, and maybe you right. Maybe I just want to have second camera and I was thinking about SONY a7III - any one got one? Any thoughts?
People in the Sony thread seem to think it's rather good.

I would go for the Sony A7 III with FE 28-70mm kit lens
Followed by the Sony Zeiss FE 16-35mm f4 lens

Why.... because mirrorless is the future and pound for pound the Sony A7 III is unbeatable. :D

So do D810 owners in the D810 thread.
But there's no point going to that thread to see what people think of the A7III.

Hence the short hand reply to the question about the Sony and the prompt to visit the thread.

Do try and keep up.

:D

If it's just GAS and wishlisting for £3k... I'd buy a lens or two and then blow the rest on a holiday to Japan to take some photos. Oh, and as many photobooks as I can carry back onto the plane

If I had £3k to spend, I would definitely be looking at a Sony A7III, with either the 24-105 or the Tamron 28-75 f2.8. But I would want to try one out properly before deciding that it was *better* and worth the money. But I don't *need* a new camera. ;)

I would go for the Sony A7 III with FE 28-70mm kit lens
Followed by the Sony Zeiss FE 16-35mm f4 lens

Why.... because mirrorless is the future and pound for pound the Sony A7 III is unbeatable. :D

I wouldn't bother buying the kit lens. You could just about buy a Samyang 35/1.4 & the Sony 85/1.8 for that budget. Better quality than the zoom options.

But there's no point going to that thread to see what people think of the A7III.

Hence the short hand reply to the question about the Sony and the prompt to visit the thread.

Do try and keep up.

:D

There is also no point going to the A7III thread to read about the wonderful D810 and vast array of lenses you can have with it. The D810 thread is full of praise for one of the best 35mm digital camera's ever made.

There is also no point going to the A7III thread to read about the wonderful D810 and vast array of lenses you can have with it. The D810 thread is full of praise for one of the best 35mm digital camera's ever made.
Oh for gawd sake... the op asked what the A7III was like...

I suppose it would have been better not to suggest he go to the Sony thread for answers? I should have realised the Nikon faithful would be along to whinge.

:nikon: and :runaway: to anything else...

Last edited:
Oh for gawd sake... the op asked what the A7III was like...

I suppose it would have been better not to suggest he go to the Sony thread for answers? I should have realised the Nikon faithful would be along to whinge.

:nikon: and :runaway: to anything else...

All I was merely pointing out is there is a Nikon D810 thread. As the OP had a Nikon and had a £3k hole burning in their pocket it would be remiss of me not to mention the Nikon D810 and the 24-70 F2.8 - especially given the nature of the photography they do and that they said Nikon had served them well - which BTW - they tend to do :p

We all know there are dedicated thread for these sony camera's for the OP to look at but I recommended a proper camera :D

Last edited:
Would go try a few and see what takes your fancy.

If would try:
D750 - leaves a nice chunk for glass
D810/D850
A7iii

Not sure there are any Canon offerings I would personally look at, but mainly because I have not used anything Canon for a long time!

All will feel and handle differently.

Last edited:
Would go try a few and see what takes your fancy.

If would try:
D750 - leaves a nice chunk for glass
D810/D850
A7iii

Not sure there are any Canon offereings I would personally look at, but mainly because I have not used anything Canon for a long time!

All will feel and handle differently.

Canon 5DSR and their equivilent which is also excellent

I wouldn't recommend a D750 - the sensor res is so far behind the D810 and A7RII/III I couldn't bring myself to recommend one given how many D750's appear on my workshops - they're just not that good IMHO. The D810/850 are the ones.

I wouldn't recommend a D750 - the sensor res is so far behind the D810 and A7RII/III I couldn't bring myself to recommend one given how many D750's appear on my workshops - they're just not that good IMHO. The D810/850 are the ones.

Behind the A7iii res wise??? Still believe the D750 is one of the best all round cameras you can buy today (IMO) if you don't want mirrorless.

Canon 5D Mkiv is worth a look too. However, as I said, leaving some budget for two or three lenses to give some focal length coverage would be my consideration when budgeting.

Behind the A7iii res wise??? Still believe the D750 is one of the best all round cameras you can buy today (IMO) if you don't want mirrorless.

24mp vs 36mp or even 42mp in the A7r3 - for landscapes that stuff counts. I've seen a few in my day and the files that come off - don't get me wrong I don't think they are a bad camera but compared to a D810 they feel light and cheap in the hand and res wises quite a few camera's out perform them.

Sadly I don't have the £3k spare yet so haven't been able to buy one, but it's only a matter of time ;)

I'm tempted to sell my XCD 30mm to fund one :D or just wait until my photography business generates me some income that I might buy one when the Leica Q2 comes..

24mp vs 36mp or even 42mp in the A7r3 - for landscapes that stuff counts. I've seen a few in my day and the files that come off - don't get me wrong I don't think they are a bad camera but compared to a D810 they feel light and cheap in the hand and res wises quite a few camera's out perform them.

Same res as the A7iii at 24mp?

Still think best best is for the OP to go try them in hand!

Back