Need shoulder strip or harness for carrying a 150-600mm lens

Name
jo
Edit My Images
Yes
I normally use a Joby shoulder strap to carry my camera's, it's doing a fine job, it's either attached to the tripod mount on the camera or to the lens foot if I'm carrying a heavy lens,... But.

Since upgrading my 150-600mm to a sigma sport version, I've had to buy a longer P plate, so I can balance my camera on the gimbal, which now uses the mount holes I used to use for the strap.

So one of two choice..

Either keep taking the P plate off the foot while I'm carrying the Lens, but knowing me, I will either forget the plate, end up faffing for ages getting it back on to the foot for correct balance or lose bits of it..

So, any shoulder straps or harnesses that will enable me to carry my camera/lens without having to remove the P plate off the lens foot etc.

p.s

Please remember I'm female,

Sounds like you are using a Wimberley lens plate..................as such this is Acra Swiss grooved, yes?

If so try what I have done. Buy a the Wimberly C-12 clamp (more budget version about) and bolt the clamp, the clamp has grub screws to secure the connection to the strap for easy engagment/disengagement. As for the body, my old Canon 5D3 has an L-plate and my Olympus a body plate so the strap is universal and will be so for whatever get in future.

HTH :)

PS you will the C-12 has large nicely gripable shoulders on the clamp screw, I especially liked that compared to many others that just have a milled surface..........makes for ensuring a good tight & secure connection IMO no matter what strength to have in your hands. Milled surfaces are fine but I was concerned whether it would be clamped shut firmly enough!

PPS I use a Black Rapid sling strap and it has a bolt to attach to camera/lens/plates etc rather than a separate device that (looking at the Jobo info) the Jobo uses.

Last edited:
I made up a rig for carrying my long lens from a leftover Think Tank Bacpack strap, a 3/8th "Eye Bolt"(E Bay) and an arca style clamp. The shoulder strap from my old LowePro Toploader works well too. Note this just attaches to the QR plate so no faffing about.
This setup is just long enough to allow me to swing the lens up and shoot without dismounting and allows easy carry by my side or can be swung around my back when negotiating rough terrain or brush etc. I am 5'9" so if you are a little shorter it should be perfect.

The cost was minimal as I only had to buy the Eye Bolt (pence) as the other bits were lying about. However it is a VERY strong setup and reasonably comfortable with my long lens and a pro body, with your lighter setup it should be good for fairly long walks without discomfort.

Attachments

• Lens06.JPG
    Lens06.JPG
    395.8 KB · Views: 18
You can buy a replacement foot for your sigma on Ebay here

I recently purchased one for mine, I am still waiting for it to arrive but I have one for my Sigma 500mm f/4 Sport and it works well.
Have one on my 150-600 Sport and it does the job well. :)

My way round it is to buy a over sized arca type plate from China 150mm for around £5 .. then drill a hole in it the end . use either black rapid or or similar over the shoulder harness fit plate to tripod foot . .. then purchase two sets of op.tech clips one short one long ,attach one long half and one short half to the slider then the other long one to the lens lug and the short one to the pre drilled hole at the front of the plate clip them together and a nice easy unit to carry just adjust the length to suit .. the beauty of this system is it’s easy to use the gimbal without unscrewing anything . Once happy it’s. Working cut off the silly clip from the black rapid ,I,ll see if I can dig out some pics.
It works better than most as the c of g is about right so keeping it level

Last edited:
Back