need smallish bag for days out what should I get

Name
Tristian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I need a bit of help choosing a new bag. I what a smallish bag for days out but able to fit the following kit:

Canon 50D, Canon 70-200 F4 IS, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC. Bag must fit with 70-200 on body.

Would be nice if bag could also fit one of the following too :canon 580ex or canon 50 F1.4 or sigma 10-20.

I want a shoulder bag style not a backpack type if possible.

I was think maybe on of these might work:

http://www.kata-bags.com/productFRM2HS.asp?p_Id=19813&Version=Photo
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Stealth Reporter D200 AW,2045.htm

Any comments or thoughts very welcome?

I will be buying a nice large bag too maybe a Stealth Reporter D550 AW which will take the lot and more, but on a day out with family I won’t want to lug all my kit with me.

I just checked out The Kata Access 17-PL and 18-PL yesterday and ended up buying the PL-18. My gear is 7D with 70-200mm f2.8 attached and a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8. This fitted OK into the 17-PL but it was a little bit of a squeeze to get the Sigma into a side pocket because of the diameter of the main lens. I think the 70-200mm f4 may be a better fit. The 18-PL allows plenty of room for the camera strap to be tucked away (something that is forgotten about I think) and also room for a grip to be attached to the body if I get one in the future. I would go with the PL-18 to give yourself a bit more room for manoeuvre. I don't think I would be able to get another lens into the other pocket - it seems to be sized for a flash. It may be deep enough to hold a 50mm or a 1.4x extender but I don't have one to try...

It's a very nicely made bag btw.

Last edited:
To carry that amount of gear on a day out I would suggest forgetting the shoulder bag, that weight will become a real drag over the course of a day. A backpack style bag will support the weight a lot better and be much more comfortable. I use a Kata DR 465, which takes my gripped 50D fitted to a 24-105L + Sigma 10-20 in the bottom compartment, a 70-200 2.8 IS in the top compartment, and room to spare for flash, Goretex Paclite and various bits and bobs.

thanks for that!

What are the benfits of the backpack style? I like the idea of a sholder bag as you dont have take the bag off and put it down to get at your kit, its just unzip the top and use. I'm not sure I like the idea of having my kit on my back to me it seams safer by my side this might just be me being odd.

I need to find a local stockest of the Kata to try.

I've a Lowepro MicroTrekker 200 Backpack.

Fits loads in and is very comfortable.

It doesnt look like a camera bag too much either, for security reasons.

Just hang it over your shoulder in use like any normal camera bag

Thanks, I will take a look at the Lowepro MicroTrekker 200 Backpack.

Bags are a bit of a mine feild as there is so much choice.

Ive just got a Lowepro Classified A160 and can fit my 60D (or 40D) with either 17-55IS f/2.8 ( and hood) or 70-300IS (with hood) attached, with the other lens stored away. I can also fit my 580EXII flash and maybe my 50mm f/1.4 prime.
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Shoulder-Bags/Lowepro/Lowepro-Classified-160-AW-Shoulder-Bag---Black

Its got a nice easy, quick top access

As Magirus pointed out, This amount of gear on one shoulder can be quite uncomfortable and for me its great on days out but i wouldn't really take all this out for a day.

Last edited:
I can squeeze a camera body with zoom lens and 2 other lenses into a lowepro nova aw 1. It's dinky. One lens is a 50mm which is small though. It becomes more tricky if you want to stow the camera with the 50mm on it with the other two (28-300 and 105mm macro).

It's got a couple of handy pockets for spare batteries, polarizer etc.

I don't like the backpack style either. Being lazy I tend to go for long range zooms so I don't have to have more than one lens if I can help it :)

Back