Need some advice regarding D850 and BMPCC 4K

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone got experience with these cameras? I own the BMPCC 4K but have been wanting to shoot photos now for a while. I have been thinking to possibly sell my BMPCC 4K to buy a D850. How is the video on the D850 and do you think i could get away with not having a dedicated video camera like the BMPCC 4K? I would love to have both but just cannot afford it unfortunately so it's one or the other at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated or any cameras that would do both stills and video very good would be helpful too. Thanks.

I have no idea about your video requirements. BMPCC to me is all about RAW video, that's 14bit or even 16bit. I note AF is not great on these. So if it was for me and if video was important - and it would need to have 14bit or more DR - I would absolutely need RAW or at least the best 10 bit log there is, and of course the AF. 8bit generic video can look really sad in contrasty environment.
I think you will be looking into latest mirrorless for a proper hybrid camera and then likely with an external recorder (some extra £1k). Canon R5 - 8K RAW internal (limited video duration) 45MP; R6 log 4K no RAW 20MP; Panasonic thing 4K 10bit log external with extra firmware purchase; Nikon Z6 & Z7 RAW external again with paid firmware upgrade. Sony's as far as I know are still 8bit log.
R5 is looking the simplest and the best for short videos but most expensive as well, and you may need 2 or 3... Of course you could just get whatever stills camera and C300 II to have the best of both.

Yeh the RAW video capabilities of the BMPCC4K make it VERY hard to give up! Video is important so i think i'm going to have to save a little while longer and have both. I may got the Olympus route though as all my M4/3 lenses will work on that system. Have you any experience with Olympus cameras at all?

Thanks for taking the time to write out your post. Lots of thinking required for me to make the best decision.

If you film locked off shots or shots without much camera movement and don't do much post production you should be OK with the D850. If you have a lot of camera movement and detail in the frame the codecs will struggle, also the in camera audio of the D850 is nowhere near as good as the BMPCC 4k. So if you need sound you will also need an external audio recorder or something like an Atomos recorder.

If you want to shoot good stills I would think about a D810 or even a D800 which is going to give you great image quality and at a fraction of the price of the D850.

I used to shoot video on a DSLR and then started to use the BMPCC 4K for the access to BRAW and now wouldn't go back.

Yeh I agree the BMPCC4K is just too good to give up now so I have decided on a Olympus camera for my stills. It can use all my m4/3 lenses too so it's the natural step for me. I only wanted Nikon because it's what I'm used to, but I'm going to force myself to learn Olympus now. Thanks for your input and help

Back