Need some advice regarding portrait shots

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
No
A little background, I have been asked by my company to do some portraits of all the staff in the office. Whilst I am confident with everyone in the office I still find it a little awkward to be taking pictures of them all for a professional manner.

I just wondered if anyone has any tips on making it all a little less awkward and a bit more relaxed? It's not really my 'thing' portrait photography, I prefer to be a more landscape type but because I own a DSLR and am now in a role which covers this sort of thing it's fallen on my shoulders slightly.

Any tips would be greatly received!

It comes with practice but if you don't fell confident it's unlikely you're going to find it in time for your portrait photos.

You say because of your job role that's it's fallen on your shoulders. It's hard to imagine a job other than photographer that requires taking portraits.

I'll try...
Be confident, be fun, be engaging, don't fiddle with gear and settings, you need to have that nailed before your subjects see you.

Thanks for the advice. I am in a marketing role and have a keen interest so the office put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5 it seems! I don't mind doing it because I love being behind the camera, I just wish I was more confident in that sort of scenario! It's for roughly 20-25 people.

I think having the settings nailed down before they come in is a great idea thanks for the tip!

I had this in my previous job and as it was highly corporate and I am the most un-corporate person you could wish to find, it was a bizarre combination!

Best advice I can give is find out where they want you to shoot and then scout somewhere that actually works - they wanted me to do it in a conference room upstairs with one tiny window - I said no and took the staff outside. I have a reasonable grasp of my camera but I can't work miracles ;) And what the others said about having your settings nailed!

I had this in my previous job and as it was highly corporate and I am the most un-corporate person you could wish to find, it was a bizarre combination!

Best advice I can give is find out where they want you to shoot and then scout somewhere that actually works - they wanted me to do it in a conference room upstairs with one tiny window - I said no and took the staff outside. I have a reasonable grasp of my camera but I can't work miracles ;) And what the others said about having your settings nailed!

Ha ha yes I think the idea is 'Conference Room'! There is more than one window though fortunately but I am going to do a set up and check what the lighting is like before I agree to do it I think!

Ha ha yes I think the idea is 'Conference Room'! There is more than one window though fortunately but I am going to do a set up and check what the lighting is like before I agree to do it I think!
Walk into the room and turn out the lights, your eyes are awesome, but rubbish for judging what a camera will 'see', mixed light sources are the reason the world is full of appalling head shots for work.

If they're people you know well, it might also help getting away from behind the camera and using a cheap remote shutter and the camera locked in on a tripod. Then you can just chat to them firing away without your head behind the camera.

Back