Need some help from Nikon D3500 owners... can't disable/access auto ISO.

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm trying to help my niece to learn photography (exposure) long distance. She has a D3500 and I've never handled one before... that shouldn't be a problem but we've run into an issue I can't understand and haven't found a cause/solution for.

The camera is set to manual mode... but accessing the ISO settings is disabled?

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 1.46.52 PM.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg

This wouldn't be one of those weird things like it can't be set because the time/date isn't set would it?

Last edited:
I just got my D3300 to show that same message, but this was because Auto ISO was highlighted. Message goes away when scroll / toggle down away from Auto ISO and any value can be chosen.

I got it to show that message because the auto ISO was highlighted, scroll / toggle down away so auto ISO is not highlighted, then try choosing a value. It works for me.

I just got my D3300 to show that same message, but this was because Auto ISO was highlighted. Message goes away when scroll / toggle down away from Auto ISO and any value can be chosen.
Thanks, but she's not even able to get in beyond the initial menu item to highlight auto or anything else. And I noticed that the ISO field (currently at 25,600) doesn't say ISO or ISO-A like it should...

Last edited:
Thanks, but she's not even able to get beyond the initial menu to highlight auto. And I noticed that the ISO field (currently at 25,600) doesn't say ISO or ISO-A like it should...

Maybe the D3500 is different from the D3300. Failing that, maybe a factory re set. I will have a nose on my camera, if I spot anything else, I will let you know.

Or any chance the ISO value can be changed via the fn button, and rear wheel dial? Holding fn button while scrolling rear wheel changes ISO on my D3300. But I can't recall if that was the default for the fn, or I assigned it to do that.

Or any chance the ISO value can be changed via the fn button, and rear wheel dial? Holding fn button while scrolling rear wheel changes ISO on my D3300. But I can't recall if that was the default for the fn, or I assigned it to do that.
D3500 doesn't have the Fn button... you have to access ISO with the i button. And you can't enable/disable auto ISO other than through the menu.

see 17 mins on into video
Thanks, I know how it should work... I don't know why it's not. And the ISO field (where it's displaying 25,600) should have either ISO or ISO-A next to it, but that is missing as well.

Here's a question: If the "ISO sensitivity settings" menu item is highlighted do you have to scroll right to get in, or can you press the ok button in the middle instead? My Nikons don't care...

It's not because it's in "American Tourist" mode is it? If you switch to shutter or aperture priority it becomes available?

Yeah, auto mode - was called American Tourist mode by someone I know from about 30 years ago

The only way I can replicate having ISO settings switched off and display the message your seeing is by putting the camera into full auto

The only way I can replicate having ISO settings switched off and display the message your seeing is by putting the camera into full auto
I suspect she was using full auto before... but it knows it's in manual now... I'm wondering if it hasn't fully registered something.

I suspect she was using full auto before... but it knows it's in manual now... I'm wondering if it hasn't fully registered something.

I am not sure if the D3300 has the same set up as the D3500. But I have just put my D3300 in full auto mode, and the ISO option is greyed out, and I am unable to select ISO value option via the menu panel. I can't even select ISO option with the fn button and rear wheel dial, even though the fn button is assigned to ISO. If I also try and select ISO using the rear info button, the ISO can't be chosen. So I could not even mess about with the ISO option, thus leaving it not selectable when going into other modes such as full manual mode, like you are experiencing now.

I have tried to replicate various combinations, such as auto ISO to ON / OFF with highest and lower values, and going back and forth into aperture / shutter / full manual modes, and I am able to select ISO value in modes.

NOTE *

When Auto ISO sensitivity control is ON and you set the ISO to your maximum, if you then go and turn OFF the sensitivity control, the maximum ISO value that you chose is greyed out, and you are not able to select it, to change the value.

Check to see if the sensitivity control is set to OFF. Try turning the Sensitivity control to ON.

I get the message This option is option is not available at current settings or in the camera's current state. The message goes away, when I turn the sensitivity option to ON.

Or at least that how it works on my D3300, not sure if the D3500 is the same.

A bit of a long shot, but you may also find auto-iso isn't available with older lenses. I guess to do with metering.

A bit of a long shot, but you may also find auto-iso isn't available with older lenses. I guess to do with metering.

I put a very old lens and teleconverter on my D3300, aperture was not recognised but I got around that by going full manual and selecting ring aperture. I was able to change the ISO with my old lenses. Maybe the D3500 is different.

Just waiting to see if it could be because the sensitivity control is set to OFF, that might be the issue.

Last edited:
So I could not even mess about with the ISO option, thus leaving it not selectable when going into other modes such as full manual mode, like you are experiencing now.
Thank you.
But when you go to another mode like manual you could use the ISO sensitivity settings menu option to re-enable sensitivity control right? There's not another menu option somewhere is there? That's my problem, the main menu item is disabled.
I understand that it is usually a sub-menu item (like auto) that is disabled and generates the messages, not the main menu item?

Is there any time where the ISO label is missing from the current ISO field like in the image above (next to 25,600)?

She has the 18-55/70-300 (kit lenses I believe).

Last edited:
Thank you.
But when you go to another mode like manual you could use the ISO sensitivity settings menu option to re-enable sensitivity control right? There's not another menu option somewhere is there? That's my problem, the main menu item is disabled.
I understand that it is usually a sub-menu item (like auto) that is disabled and generates the messages, not the main menu item?

IMG_0869.JPG

If I try to choose the option in yellow, I get the same message as you do. But if I toggle up to where it says OFF, click that and turn it to ON, the message goes away, and I can freely pick any ISO.

You should have a section where you can enable ISO sensitivity control to ON or OFF.

It looks like the ISO on yours has been set to whatever it is, and it can't be over ridden for some reason.

IMG_0870.JPG

I have set the camera to off, now I can't freely change the ISO, not until I turn the function back on.

She can't get in that far... she's locked out at the main menu item.

(reattached for clarity)
View attachment 273413

This is strange. When looking at that image, you'd swear the camera must be in a full auto mode because of all of the options that are greyed out. They should all be selectable in manual mode. They all seem to tally with being in auto. But your image of the rear screen, which I assume your niece took at the same time shows manual mode is selected. Really odd behaviour.

Does the D3500 have some sort of separate bank of settings for movie mode or anything like that?

This is strange. When looking at that image, you'd swear the camera must be in a full auto mode because of all of the options that are greyed out. They should all be selectable in manual mode. They all seem to tally with being in auto. But your image of the rear screen, which I assume your niece took at the same time shows manual mode is selected. Really odd behaviour.

Does the D3500 have some sort of separate bank of settings for movie mode or anything like that?
I initially thought she had failed to put the camera in M mode as directed and lied to me... but she's verified everything twice for me (i.e. I had her try again after sending me the picture of it being in manual mode).
I've tried to find something like movie settings/mode that could be causing this, but I haven't.

I've given her a list of trouble shooting steps to take; checking the menu function after each:
"*Make sure there is a memory card in the camera and the date/time/timezone are correct in the setup menu.
*Try the A/S mode.
* Reset shooting menu; first item.
*Reset setup options; first item in setup menu.
*Reset all settings; second to last item in setup menu (quicker to scroll backwards/up to get there).
The ISO settings/menu should start working after one of these steps. When it does you don't need to do the other checks/resets."

If none of that works I'm going to have to recommend she has it replaced/repaired... I have no other ideas...

I'm trying to help my niece to learn photography (exposure) long distance. She has a D3500 and I've never handled one before... that shouldn't be a problem but we've run into an issue I can't understand and haven't found a cause/solution for.

The camera is set to manual mode... but accessing the ISO settings is disabled?

View attachment 273320

Maybe the only other option is for her to choose the Reset shooting menu which is highlighted in the screen, it seems like it can be selected as it is in white, and not greyed out. Reset Shooting: Resets settings dealing with image quality, size, lighting adjustments.

Then Reset Settings: Resets settings related to how images are stored and how information is displayed on the camera screen.

Then Reset Settings: Resets settings related to how images are stored and how information is displayed on the camera screen.
My understanding is that the "reset all settings" option restores the camera to factory except for date and language settings. I'm having her do that last as I'm really hoping something else fixes it; so I can figure out/understand where/what the actual issue is.

My understanding is that the "reset all settings" option restores the camera to factory except for date and language settings. I'm having her do that last as I'm really hoping something else fixes it; so I can figure out/understand where/what the actual issue is.

I have tried to replicate the issue that your niece is having, but I can't. I can only get that message to flash up in auto mode, and the one just after auto mode with the flash circled. It really is a mystery. :thinking:

A daft question probably but is she extending the lens before trying to change the setting?

Back