Need some help regarding flash photography

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Hi guy's,

I've got a few Airbase visits coming off soon and I'll probably need to use a flash for some of the indoor/hangar photos. I have a Nikon SB-800 which I'll use on either my D3 or D300. I've only used it a few times so could do with some advice on what would be the best settings to have the flash and camera set to. There would be a mixed bag of shots from close up cockpits to whole aircraft.

Any advice would be most appreciated:)

Mark

Hi Mark

A single SB-800 is going to struggle with a subject this size.

I swear I watched a video of Joe McNally illuminating a plane with speedlights and CLS....about 40 of them or something crazy, I'll try and find it.

As far as camera settings go, if you don't have experience with the flash just whack it on top set to ttl rather than manual, and use aperture priority on camera.

I don't think I've really helped alot but there you go lol :)

Regards

Danny

Hi Mark,

Having your SB set to TTL ensures the camera/flash measures and sets the flash power. Its short for Through the Lens (metering). The image should be exposed correctly, if you require more or less flash power, adjust the flash compensation on the flash head (or in camera if using cls)

If you set your aperture on AP, to create the right creative aesthetic (DOF), let the camera deal with the shutter speed as the very short flash duration will freeze the motion for you without having to worry so much about motion blur.

With using one very small light source without modification or bounce you are going to be getting hard shadows. There are several ways to get around this but is dependant on what situation you are in, your intended image and so on.

In all honesty the best way is going to be experimenting :)

If I can help you with any other questions let me know

Regards

Danny

Back