need to buy a lightweight laptop or 2 in 1 for Lightroom and Portrait Professional.

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

My MacBook Pro 2015 died on me earlier, I took it to a friend that is a Mac expert and he said that there was a crack in the logic board, and that I would be looking at around £250 for a used replacement. So I have decided to go back to a Windows based device. Ideally I need something light that will run Lightroom, Portrait Professional and other Windows applications including some DJ software for my online radio station & something which can be used from the mains should the battery run too low.

I do have a iPad Pro which I love, especially for culling photos from sporting events and other day to day use like surfing etc, but for skin retouching I just cannot get to grips with Affinity Photo, and do prefer Portrait Professional for it’s sheer speed and reliability for skin softening and then hitting the button to return to LR with the softening completed, comes real handy when doing bulk studio edits.

Storage space isn’t that essential as I have got external drives, plus I subscribe to the 1tb Creative Cloud plan, so just need something that will do what I need it to, so basically import photos when away from home, do the retouching and other edits, then export and upload. I know I was originally against the Surface due to the flickering issue but am now considering one or another 2 in one as I do love touch screen. I haven’t got an exact budget in mind, but for 4yrs I used an 12” HP Elitebook 2nd Gen i5 for all of my editing, so don’t mind something that isn’t the latest tech, but unfortunately the Elitebook does add quite a bit of weight to my rucksack, so do need something light.

Can anyone here suggest anything touch screen preferred for stylus etc, which will do what I need it to ?.

Many thanks

Something like a Surface Pro sounds ideal for you, or there are many, many 2-in-1 Windows laptops out there. For editing you'll obviously want something with a decent screen and at least 100% sRGB coverage, which pushes you over the £1000 mark for many Windows machines.

Back