Need to downsize!!

Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I currently have a canon 7d and a canon 17-40 L lens which im thinking of getting rid and just buying 1 single camera that is light weight and useful to the complete family.

The kids are getting older and they are eager to use the camera and don't really know how to use the 7D and would just like to take pics on holiday or at parties where there is no risk of breaking kit.

I understand there will be a drop in image qualities but the family end up using a smartphone as "its just so much easier" to take photos.

What I am looking at is some camera that will give me decent results in low light and which is small enough for them to use.. Something along the lines of the Sony NEX5!

Any recommendations?

Please I know many will think im mad but the Canon 7d (whilst I love it) - is really not getting used and I feel that using a smartphone to take pics everywhere isn't really worth while!

Thanks in advance

Lots of people tend to use a camera more when it suits their needs and is very portable. Often thought about a small camera but the really good ones are very expensive!

Any recommendations.. Looking at pulling the trigger on the sony nex on amazons deal of the day

If you're used to the Canon, why not look at something like the G16? The controls will feel familiar to you, and you can put it into Auto for the kids to use.

The Canon G1 X Mark II is an option worth checking. If you end up selling the 7D and 17-40, you shouldn't have a problem funding that purchase.

Otherwise, there are several compact system cameras to choose from. The NEX-5 is an old model, one of the oldest cameras of its type, so it isn't a good choice. If you like the Sony NEX cameras, consider the a6000. However, I think the Olympus OM-D E-M10 is a better buy.

If pocketability is what you're after, go for a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 if you need interchangeable lenses (mostly to use fast primes in this case) or a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III if it isn't. (Its 24-70mm equivalent, f/1.8-2.8 lens is plenty versatile. Keep in mind the crop factor, though, making it more like a 24-70mm f/4.8-7.5 equivalent, while your 17-40mm on the 7D was 27-60mm f/6.4 equivalent, to put things in perspective as to what you should expect from a depth of field standpoint.)

I've owned, and been happy with, a Panasonic LX3 and now use a Sony RX100 II. In many ways I miss the LX3 it was great, I've no doubt the LX7 or whatever the latest one will be even better in some ways. The Sony is great but I find it has taken a bit more getting use to than the LX3.

Id go for the LX range in your situation BUT you might want to see if the camera is too big, I doubt it's bigger than a NEX with lens though. Auto mode on the LX is great, and you can use AV, M modes etc if required. Short focal range but fine for what you want I think.

How about the Canon m? It's cheap at argos and also Currys if you can find stock

Hello,

I currently have a canon 7d and a canon 17-40 L lens...

I understand there will be a drop in image qualities but the family end up using a smartphone as "its just so much easier" to take photos.

What I am looking at is some camera that will give me decent results in low light and which is small enough for them to use.. Something along the lines of the Sony NEX5!

I've been quite impressed with whole image smartphone pictures taken in good light but less so when the shots are taken indoors and at parties etc and I suppose it's the indoor/party part of the requirement which will be most challenging image quality wise but it should be pretty easy to improve on a smart phone for that and keep or even improve on the IQ you get from your 7D and f4 lens.

A couple of my family members have Nex's and the straight out of the camera JPEG image quality seems to be very good and if you want to really push the boat out you could go for a A6000. The kids could use it on Auto with a kit lens and you could use it with a nice fast prime and get IQ which will almost certainly kick sand in your 7D's face.

Thanks for the feedback guys.. need to ponder over it.. I love the 7D and it would be a shame to see it go!

really in a predicament and if I could save some money while doing it I will be a happy chappy. will look at the Fuji and Sony options!

What would you guys recommend at the £600 price point!

Thanks for the feedback guys.. need to ponder over it.. I love the 7D and it would be a shame to see it go!

really in a predicament and if I could save some money while doing it I will be a happy chappy. will look at the Fuji and Sony options!

What would you guys recommend at the £600 price point!

fuji x100s.

If I had £600 to drop on a compact / smaller camera that had DSLR quality plus a ton of other features i would not hesitate to get teh fuji X100s.

Check out the reviews on line....

Back