Need to replace a full external backup HD...

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Current 1tb external is now full....

I have a new external 3tb to replace it with...

Easiest way to to do this without LR and iTunes getting a big tizzy ?

Current 1tb external is now full....

I have a new external 3tb to replace it with...

Easiest way to to do this without LR and iTunes getting a big tizzy ?

I would have thought simply copying the 1TB contents to the 3TB drive and using the new one as appropriate would 'do the trick' ~ unless I have completely lost the plot :)

Last edited:
If you are Mac user get carbon copy cloner to copy everything across. Do you have more than one copy of the data? If you don’t, start thinking about getting some kind of backup system sorted out.

Last edited:
If you are Mac user get carbon copy cloner to copy everything across. Do you have more than one copy of the data? If you don’t start thinking about getting some kind of backup system sorted out.

Did not think of Mac

Having said that if the way the data is stored might have hidden control files then for PC I have used Macrium Reflect Free to clone both OS drives and data drives.

I would have thought simply copying the 1TB contents to the 3TB drive and using the new one as appropriate would 'do the trick' ~ unless I have completely lost the plot :)

Sorry, should have said - PC user....

Would ideally clone the drive and plug in.....

Sorry, should have said - PC user....

Would ideally clone the drive and plug in.....

As I recall (I think) I ran Macrium with verification turn on so that the cloning process confirms the files are exact copies, without errors, of the originals.

Edit ~ as per Rob's advice, please do not rely on just a single copy of your backup files.

Last edited:
After you’ve sync’d your files over, if you assign the new drive with the same letter as the old one, Lightroom should just work assuming that you’ve got the folders set up in the exact same way

Last edited:
Back