Need your help 70-200+TC vs 120-400 or other? (nikon mount)

Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone,

I know this is another thread concerning lens choice for motorsport photography but I can't make my mind :shake:.
Therefore I summon your expertise to help me on this one. I'm not a pro and have no credencials so I'm left behind the fence and on the stands to shoot in the Algarve Motor Park (Autodromo Internacional do Algarve) in Portugal. I've found out my 18-200VRII lacks the quality I'm looking for and is too short :nono:.

Unfortunately, I can't find a Sigma 100-300 f4 for sale (new or used) here in Portugal and my budget doesn't allow me a nikkor 200-400 f4 or a Sigma 120-300 2.8 os :LOL: so I started to search for a solution with more range and somehow more afordable.

What do you think would be the best option for my D90? A Sigma 70-200 2.8 (os or not?)+TC (which one?), a Sigma 120-400, or other (please specify)? :thinking:

Thanks(y).

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I can't find a Sigma 100-300 f4 for sale (new or used) here in Portugal

Have you thought about buying one from the UK :shrug:

I had one and thought it was a cracker of a lens (even with a Sigma APO EX 1.4x TC) & used it on a D90 & D300s... Only sold it to fund a 70-200mm VR (then onto a 70-200 VRII) havent a clue why thou as not long brought the TC-20E III to go with it :bonk:

Have you thought about buying one from the UK :shrug:

I had one and thought it was a cracker of a lens (even with a Sigma APO EX 1.4x TC) & used it on a D90 & D300s... Only sold it to fund a 70-200mm VR (then onto a 70-200 VRII) havent a clue why thou as not long brought the TC-20E III to go with it :bonk:

I have actually, but it seems as they are hard to find these days.

What do you think of the 70-200+TC? Are you pleased with it?

Thanks(y).

:wave:

I'd really like your help please :help:.

I found out some people had issues focusing with the Siggy 120-400 and a Nikon D90. Did someone here felt the same?

What about the sigma 70-200 OS+TC? Is it a safe bet?

Cheers (y).

the 120-400:bonk:

Thanks for the feedback.

TC's are good for the occasional requirement, but no substitute for having a lens with the native focal length you need.

True, unfortunately there aren't that many options to go for, it's either a 70-200+TC, a 100-300 f4+TC (if you can find one), the 120-400 or 150-500 that provides the reach but are a bit slow, the new 120-300 f2.8 OS or some primes like the Nikkor afs 300mm f4+TC or longer.

If Nikon decided to update the 80-400mm to perhaps a 100-400 f4 af-s VR, it could be something interesting but it's just rumors...

I now think that perhaps I should go for a Nikkor 70-200 VRII+TCE20III or the new Sigma 120-300 2.8 OS+TC instead of buying a more affordable lens and later on buy one of these... It's a lot of money but it would be best to make the correct decision the first time...

Unfortunately, it seems reviews for the 120-300 2.8 OS are almost impossible to find. This lens would provide the reach I'm looking for and if a TC is added I could go all the way to 600mm :bonk:. On the other hand, the 70-200 VRII is a lens I've been dreaming of since it got out and I bought my D90 :love:.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot (y).

Thanks for the feedback.

True, unfortunately there aren't that many options to go for, it's either a 70-200+TC, a 100-300 f4+TC (if you can find one), the 120-400 or 150-500 that provides the reach but are a bit slow, the new 120-300 f2.8 OS or some primes like the Nikkor afs 300mm f4+TC or longer.

If Nikon decided to update the 80-400mm to perhaps a 100-400 f4 af-s VR, it could be something interesting but it's just rumors...

I now think that perhaps I should go for a Nikkor 70-200 VRII+TCE20III or the new Sigma 120-300 2.8 OS+TC instead of buying a more affordable lens and later on buy one of these... It's a lot of money but it would be best to make the correct decision the first time...

Unfortunately, it seems reviews for the 120-300 2.8 OS are almost impossible to find. This lens would provide the reach I'm looking for and if a TC is added I could go all the way to 600mm :bonk:. On the other hand, the 70-200 VRII is a lens I've been dreaming of since it got out and I bought my D90 :love:.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot (y).

i think it depends on what length you want to go to, I have a 70-200 VR and its a stunning bit of kit but I think sticking a 2.0 t/c you going to be a bit disappointed its got to degrade quality and focusing speed.
If you want longer lens than the 200mm I would tend to go for the Nikon 300mm f4 takes t/c very well (look for posts by desantnik, maska and Paul (one half of Paulshaz) they use a 300mm f4 a lot. I suppose it depends how much you would miss the shorter focal length. Is a s/h 300 and a s/h 70-200 mk1 an option?

i think it depends on what length you want to go to, I have a 70-200 VR and its a stunning bit of kit but I think sticking a 2.0 t/c you going to be a bit disappointed its got to degrade quality and focusing speed....

:thinking: Are you on about the latest Nikon TC-20E III or the mk II version :shrug:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=34567440 To give you some idea...

As well as a few of us own that combo on here ( Nikon 70-200 VRII & TC-20E III) & I have yet to find any disappointment in it...

i think it depends on what length you want to go to, I have a 70-200 VR and its a stunning bit of kit but I think sticking a 2.0 t/c you going to be a bit disappointed its got to degrade quality and focusing speed.
If you want longer lens than the 200mm I would tend to go for the Nikon 300mm f4 takes t/c very well (look for posts by desantnik, maska and Paul (one half of Paulshaz) they use a 300mm f4 a lot. I suppose it depends how much you would miss the shorter focal length. Is a s/h 300 and a s/h 70-200 mk1 an option?

I appreciate your input (y).

The (optimus) prime :)lol:) option is one I have thought of, the only problem is it would be a lens I would only use for races and I do intend to buy a 70-200 in the future for portraits, concert and sports, so the thought of carrying that many lenses and weight around when I'm walking all day around the circuit isn't one I look forward to :thinking:.

I'm sorry but what do you mean by s/h 300 and a s/h 70-200? :thinking:

:thinking: Are you on about the latest Nikon TC-20E III or the mk II version :shrug:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=34567440 To give you some idea...

As well as a few of us own that combo on here ( Nikon 70-200 VRII & TC-20E III) & I have yet to find any disappointment in it...

I just had a twilight moment as I was just writing you a private message to ask if you could provide some thoughts and perhaps some photos taken with the 70-200VRII+TC20EIII) and here you are :LOL:.

Thank you both (y).

Heres just 2 of the threads on the 70-200 VRII & TC-20E III TC-20E III -Thread 1 & Thread 2

Many more just search for Nikon TC-20E III...

Thank you Trig's ;).

@yamahatdm900, I haven't put the second hand option totally out, but to buy expensive second hand glass would require some testing before and since I find that hard (overseas), maybe I shoud go for the safe side and buy from a dealer with warranty...

I wanted something longer to shoot the SBK next month and to rent a lens isn't an option because there is no place to do that here :bang:. The 300 f4 is a great option but I prefer a zoom. Since the motoring season ends after the SBK at my local circuit, the best thing to do is to play with my 18-200 until I manage to fund some quality glass like a Sigma 120-300 2.8 OS :thinking:.

Meanwhile, I'll gather more information, give it some more thought and try to convince my gf that the lens is a bargain considering a 200-400VRII :wacky::LOL:.

Thanks for the input(y).

Thank you Trig's ;).

@yamahatdm900, I haven't put the second hand option totally out, but to buy expensive second hand glass would require some testing before and since I find that hard (overseas), maybe I shoud go for the safe side and buy from a dealer with warranty...

I wanted something longer to shoot the SBK next month and to rent a lens isn't an option because there is no place to do that here :bang:. The 300 f4 is a great option but I prefer a zoom. Since the motoring season ends after the SBK at my local circuit, the best thing to do is to play with my 18-200 until I manage to fund some quality glass like a Sigma 120-300 2.8 OS :thinking:.

Meanwhile, I'll gather more information, give it some more thought and try to convince my gf that the lens is a bargain considering a 200-400VRII :wacky::LOL:.

Thanks for the input(y).

Makes sense, enjoy yourself at SBK round and dont forget to post the pictures(y)

Back