Neewer Gimbal head

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Hi i purchased a Neewer gimbal head brand new but have noticed when i lay my tripod down on its side with the head on it i get fluid leaking from it, i guessing this shouldn't happen so was wondering is it because its a cheap one its just not that good . has anyone else had this problem with cheap gimbal heads . Thanks

Reminds me of those part-cooked bread rolls you can buy in the shop ... take them home and finish baking them yourself! :(

They are filled with something akin to a silicon grease / lubricant . I found the one I had was quite stiff as well ,it needed to be swung round for a few minutes to loosen it .. there is no known cure ,I sold mine in the end

Well, I've got a Neewer gimble head and can't find fault with it - I guess there's good and bad everywhere :)

Interesting thread I've been thinking about getting one (Neewer) for a bit. They seem a good price and if a bit of tinkering will save hassle and money, I'm still tempted ...

Reactions: Sky
I have one. They are pretty crap, but exactly what I expected for the price. The issue with them compared to a decent gimbal is that they do not use any bearings in the pivots, instead there is a simple nylon bush, but to stop this locking up it is a sloppy fit. When you slacken off the locking screws the sloppy fit results in the swing arm dropping the the camera is no longer level.

I improved mine by wrapping the bushes with electrical tape to take up some of the slack and lubricating with 3in1 oil before reassembling.
It is no alternative to proper bearings but it is an improvement.

When you slacken off the locking screws the sloppy fit results in the swing arm dropping the the camera is no longer level.
But I assume there is no creep once its "locked up"?

Well there is a turn up for the books!
I ordered the neewer gimble around 11am Friday, the ( free) delivery ETA was Weds / thurs.
It arrived on my doorstep 13:30 today 26-27 hours that's not bad service Amazon (y)
But I have to add my doorstep is NOT my designated safe place :rolleyes:

I have to say, straight out of the box, the movement is very fluid, as good as my Manfrotto ball heads.
In fact I need to add a little tension to the adjustment screws for my own "ease of use"

2 minor niggles
1) I really couldn't understand why I couldn't get the camera level, on the tripod ...
And then I adjusted the tripod collar on my lens :facepalm:

2) I'm not really a fan of the tripod mounting plate, TBH. I much prefer the quick release system of the Manfrotto heads.
But I'm sure given time I'll get used to it.

In conclusion, I'm not sure why I didn't buy one years ago (y)

Last edited:
Well there is a turn up for the books!
I ordered the neewer gimble around 11am Friday, the ( free) delivery ETA was Weds / thurs.
It arrived on my doorstep 13:30 today 26-27 hours that's not bad service Amazon (y)
But I have to add my doorstep is NOT my designated safe place :rolleyes:

I have to say, straight out of the box, the movement is very fluid, as good as my Manfrotto ball heads.
In fact I need to add a little tension to the adjustment screws for my own "ease of use"

2 minor niggles
1) I really couldn't understand why I couldn't get the camera level, on the tripod ...
And then I adjusted the tripod collar on my lens :facepalm:

2) I'm not really a fan of the tripod mounting plate, TBH. I much prefer the quick release system of the Manfrotto heads.
But I'm sure given time I'll get used to it.

In conclusion, I'm not sure why I didn't buy one years ago (y)
the arca type plate is fairly standard now Chris and you can buy spare foot plates in various lengths for all your gear and at silly prices to via e.bay

the arca type plate is fairly standard now Chris and you can buy spare foot plates in various lengths for all your gear and at silly prices to via e.bay
Cheers Jeff, (y) I still prefer the Manfrotto quick release though.

I purchased the Neewer Gimbal and have had no issue. In fact, there seems to be some improvements in its operation. There is no movement straight out of the box. The wobble is not there. So very happy with it.

Back