Critique ?Negative space .....

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
...or just a picture with a lot of blank space in it?

3208-1393796655-3f85fefa5e89eb3f74e5ca9f68e47405.jpg

I'd be very interested in views (in either direction) on this one.

I like it because I took it on holiday in Portugal recently and one thing that struck me was that most things there seemed to be painted in white.

As an object framed centrally it may not be the most interesting.

As an image (or as a composition) it works when presented this way and is pretty much nailed on to the rule of thirds.

If the white backdrop is a lasting memory of your trip then it's only right that you present it as an integral part of the composition.

Last edited:
I don't like the composition, I would have placed it centrally with a lot of white space all around. That's just my subjective feeling. I also think it's a little lopsided but not 100% sure.

I like the idea though. And I like the subject. I like that you are initially presented with quite an alien, unrecognisable object. Then, a split second later, you clock the shadows and realise what it is - a fairly ordinary and mundane object. I do enjoy an image that initially confuses then resolves itself, even if it only takes a fraction of a second. I think a central composition would reinforce that effect.

I'd like to see it slightly overexposed so the whites are whiter and the shadows work you just a little harder.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to comment - much appreciated.

As an object framed centrally it may not be the most interesting.

As an image (or as a composition) it works when presented this way and is pretty much nailed on to the rule of thirds.
Rule of thirds only works for me if it's offering balance (which is usually what the rule provides). There's nothing to balance in this image, I think that's one reason I feel I'd like a central composition better.

Of course, someone may legitimately intend to create an unbalanced image. That's a creative decision for the photographer. I don't get the feeling that this is the intention here, however, so the composition feels "wrong" to me.

Rule of thirds only works for me if it's offering balance (which is usually what the rule provides). There's nothing to balance in this image, I think that's one reason I feel I'd like a central composition better.

All subjective however the OP remarked on how it was the white backgrounds that struck him.

If it was a central composition, all the focus would be on the object regardless of how much space was around it. The white would be nothing more than 'background'.

Taking the object away from 'centre stage' has allowed the background to become more than just a background - but an equally important part of the image.

All subjective however the OP remarked on how it was the white backgrounds that struck him.

If it was a central composition, all the focus would be on the object regardless of how much space was around it. The white would be nothing more than 'background'.

Taking the object away from 'centre stage' has allowed the background to become more than just a background - but an equally important part of the image.
I would have it placed centrally, but quite small in the frame so the background was not ignorable.
The current composition just looks awkward (to me). Again, nothing wrong with creating an awkward image on purpose but I don't feel that this was the intention here. And, of course, others may not feel it to be awkward at all.

Thanks for the discussion - it helps me to be clearer on what I want/am trying to do.

I had put it on the thirds position because it was the thirds (ie simple application on the 'rule') - but having done that it looked right (to me.

I will try to experiment as suggested to see what I think then

Back