Neighbourhood Bully.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
She really is a right stroppy piece - just wont tolerate anyone else on the feeder at all...

IMG_5391-01.jpg

Unless of course she doesn't know they're there. :LOL:

IMG_5402-01.jpg

Great capture there CT, we have Green Woodpeckers, I've heard but never seen them. Well done:clap:

What id do to get one of these on my feeders! great captures CT.

It's a bit of a story. ;) I know there are Green Woodpeckers about, because we hear them drumming away in the park next door and occasionally catch a glimpse of them. The only worthwhile shots I ever got of a Green Woody though, was earlier in the year when a fledgling one landed on the lawn, but seemed mighty interested in the nut feeders which were a tad too close to the house.

With this in mind, we erected a nut feeder about 40 feet from the house. it's one of those on a metal pole which just shoves in the ground and stands about 8 or nine feet high I suppose. The hope was that the Green Woodpeckers would feel safe enough using it as it's close to the trees so it's a quick dash for cover if they need to.

It's been up about three months and the tits and other small birds love it, but no sign of a Green Woodpecker at all. :(

But amazingly in the last few days, the female Great Spotted has started visiting 2 or 3 times a day. I say 'amazingly' because we really had no idea there were any in the area at all. :shrug:

So a pedestal type feeder or getting a feeder sited quite high up is your best bet Bev, as they're quite wary birds and seem happier feeding higher from the ground. Be patient for a while, if there are any in the area, they'll come sooner or later as food starts to get scarce with the colder weather.

Like No2. I have never seen a Greenwoodpecker on a feeder, I think they are more of a ground feeding bird as they particularly like eating ants.

Nice shots CT, as always (y)

Um :cautious: About the feeder thing though ... ours is about 4 - 5ft from my birdwatching window and today our GSW visited it. Had I not been in total shock I would have got some snaps :LOL: I'll be ready and waiting in the morning though :naughty: So they will come closer provided there are no sudden movements. It doesn't even need to be that quiet as we have a main road running in front of our house :LOL:

Good luck Jo. (y) It's pretty quiet where we are so shutter noise can be a big problem with some birds.

nice shots CT

used to have a green woody in the garden after the ants!

have not seen any since i got my slr (I think they know. its the same with the nuthatch....grrr)

get a few of the greater spotty dudes though

Back