Neighbours spycam - HELP!!!

What makes you think I haven't?

That you're calling a police community liason officer a plastic policeman, the derogatory term usually kept for police community support officers.

Just had the local community support officer,.

steep said:
That you're calling a police community liason officer a plastic policeman, the derogatory term usually kept for police community support officers.

Steep, I think you need to go re-read the thread :LOL: :p

TBH if the camera hasn't moved it is most likely just left there,

Go out and get some better snaps of it. See where its pointing and what kind of cam it is.... you might find it isn't even a camera.....

I have a webcam sat on my office window sill looking out to the street where all the kids play.. some of them topless.

I must be a pervert.. Quick ring the police.

Or its just sat there unplugged beacuse thats where I put it after I finshed using it.

TCR4x4 said:
I have a webcam sat on my office window sill looking out to the street where all the kids play.. some of them topless.

I must be a pervert.. Quick ring the police.

Or its just sat there unplugged beacuse thats where I put it after I finshed using it.

Stay right where you are, lynch mob on the way!

I'm just as bad! Sometimes I go outside with a 200mm lens....sometimes even walk near where children could possibly be!.....

Camera has been removed, strangely enough almost as soon as the community officer left!! Spoke to him this morning and confirmed that there was not much the police could do, but he did comment that he was seen as he left my house yesterday "a fair bit of curtain twitching" was his words. So neighbour obviously felt she was doing something wrong.
My nieces did spot the camera when they were in the garden at easter and they did think it was a bit odd, but didn't mention it to us, the youngest (12) did say she felt a bit uncomfortable in the garden, so reason enough to get it sorted.
I quite agree there is no reason to involve the time of a full-time police officer, but these are the sort of things community support are very good at.
As for speaking to the neighbour, I have done in the past, but since she started putting notes through the door, about various 'complaints', none of which make any sense, I've given up.
For anyone who thinks this is ok, wait until it happens to you, and I cannot stress strongly enough that this camera was pointing directly at the centre of our garden and from the angles very little if any of her garden would be in the frame, how would you feel when you have friends and family round and know you are probably being watched. I have no problems with security cameras covering a general area, but what about when they are only pointed at you!

Last edited:
Camera has been removed, strangely enough almost as soon as the community officer left!! Spoke to him this morning and confirmed that there was not much the police could do, but he did comment that he was seen as he left my house yesterday "a fair bit of curtain twitching" was his words. So neighbour obviously felt she was doing something wrong.
My nieces did spot the camera when they were in the garden at easter and they did think it was a bit odd, but didn't mention it to us, the youngest (12) did say she felt a bit uncomfortable in the garden, so reason enough to get it sorted.
I quite agree there is no reason to involve the time of a full-time police officer, but these are the sort of things community support are very good at.
As for speaking to the neighbour, I have done in the past, but since she started putting notes through the door, about various 'complaints', none of which make any sense, I've given up.
For anyone who thinks this is ok, wait until it happens to you, and I cannot stress strongly enough that this camera was pointing directly at the centre of our garden and from the angles very little if any of her garden would be in the frame, how would you feel when you have friends and family round and know you are probably being watched. I have no problems with security cameras covering a general area, but what about when they are only pointed at you!

It probably was not the fact that they noticed the police car out side you house but more the fact that they over heard your conversation with the aid of the bugs they had planted when you where on holiday! :D

Glad to hear it seems like the issue has hopefully been resolved now Jim.

It probably was not the fact that they noticed the police car out side you house but more the fact that they over heard your conversation with the aid of the bugs they had planted when you where on holiday! :D

:LOL:

Jeff.

The sad thing here is, that the police do not seem to have the ability (Or authority due to some stupid law/section/act etc) to just 'have a word' these days? Could they not have gone round and just said...Please can you move it as it's making your neighbour uncomfortable? Then they could ahve a nosey round at the same time and see if anything suspicious was going on and keep an eye on them?

No, it's sorry, nothing we can do....

Same as when your car gets hit, or you get struck by a car even...sorry nothing we can do...

Unbelievable! I'd be keeping an eye on your neighbours, just to be on the safe side! Nothing wrong with a good neighbour looking out for you. You do the same! ;-)

The sad thing here is, that the police do not seem to have the ability (Or authority due to some stupid law/section/act etc) to just 'have a word' these days? Could they not have gone round and just said...Please can you move it as it's making your neighbour uncomfortable? Then they could ahve a nosey round at the same time and see if anything suspicious was going on and keep an eye on them?

Surely it's not the place of the police to be doing this?
No law is being broken, at most it's a possible civil issue, problem neighbour, notes of complaint etc - case of go around and have a word or see a solicitor.

Civil issue? That's the polices excuse to not get involved.
Sadly these innocent things can turn into awful things, then the police blame everyone else but themselves for not dealing with it properly to start with!

Cheers Jeff, to be fair Tori, the officer has been very helpful and did suggest that if goes back up they can have a word with them if I wish.
Hi Gramps as I said earlier I would be uncomfortable having a full-time policeman coming round, but it was the community support guy and he took a walk down to see what was going on, no policemen as such and no patrol cars.
And thanks to all who posted much appreciated.

The camera may have been removed because she or her son saw this thread! At least when she was upset about something you were doing she had the sense to put a note through your door about it. I really cant see why you didnt do the same.If they were photographing something on your property have a think about what it may be that you are doing that upets them and makes them feel the need to get photographic evidence.

It is always best to try to resolve things like this in a friendly way.

Civil issue? That's the polices excuse to not get involved.
Sadly these innocent things can turn into awful things, then the police blame everyone else but themselves for not dealing with it properly to start with!

If it's not a civil issue tell me what law is being broken that requires police involvement?
We don't want a police state where every action has to be justified to the police!

As long as the OP is happy it's been dealt with thats all that matters. I do wonder if the visit from the police had not spurred the removal of the camera, how would he feel?

A law may not have broken, but it is the laws job to keep the community safe is it not? Let's face the police are not interested in 'keeping an eye' on folk anymore. All they want are the 'interesting' jobs.

A law may not have broken, but it is the laws job to keep the community safe is it not? Let's face the police are not interested in 'keeping an eye' on folk anymore. All they want are the 'interesting' jobs.

It's not whether or not it's interesting, it's whether or not a law has been broken - we've got Social Services/Local Councils for 'keeping an eye' on folk ... don't get me started.

Totally agree! Have you tried reporting anything to social services. They would want incident numbers etc maybe? Correct me if not. But they would want to know why you were suspicious?

Without wanting to hijack the thread, assaulting a police officer = not a civil matter?
Failing to stop at an accident = not a civil matter?
Injuring someone by hitting them with your car= not a civil matter?

Also...don't get me started! The police do not care these days. Gone are the days of warnings and a quiet word.

I agree there are alot of things should be dealt with without police involvement where possible. It sounds like the OP has had previous problems and maybe that wasnt possible. If he thinks his family are bring spied on, how is that a civil matter? Is there no law regarding privacy? Where does it have to involve police? Im sure theres an innocent reason for their camera being there, but when would the police like to change civil to criminal? When they find images of children on the net maybe? Would you then wish youd done something then? Personally id love to deal some incidents without the involvement of the police, but dont they call that vigilantism?

Totally agree! Have you tried reporting anything to social services. They would want incident numbers etc maybe? Correct me if not. But they would want to know why you were suspicious?

Without wanting to hijack the thread, assaulting a police officer = not a civil matter?

Also...don't get me started! The police do not care these days. Gone are the days of warnings and a quiet word.

I agree there are alot of things should be dealt with without police involvement where possible. It sounds like the OP has had previous problems and maybe that wasnt possible. If he thinks his family are bring spied on, how is that a civil matter? Is there no law regarding privacy? Where does it have to involve police? Im sure theres an innocent reason for their camera being there, but when would the police like to change civil to criminal? When they find images of children on the net maybe? Would you then wish youd done something then? Personally id love to deal some incidents without the involvement of the police, but dont they call that vigilantism?

Tori
I know you recently had issues with the police not helping you and I was sympathetic to your problem, but we really dont know anything about the OP or what was happening here. We have only heard one side of the story.Read the OP again and try to think about why his neighbours may have felt the need to collect photographic evidence after being unable to sort a problem with the OP. I am not suggesting that the OP has done anything wrong but we dont know that he hasnt.

True enough Sue. I really should stop replying to these threads!

Sadly it's not just 'recently' as you've said though :(

Hopefully now the camera is removed everyone is happy :)

yes, you're quite right. pcso, same as turned up to his house.............

Seems I need to book a visit to specsavers, I apologize.

That isn't my experience. Of course, it does depend on individual officers but we had a problem with a particular neighbour (a very strange character) who seemed to be walking his dog, and hanging around, at least 6 times a day when my daughter (then 14) was at home, weekends or school holidays, but never when she wasn't there. Not a man who can be spoken to so I phoned local plod, who took it very seriously and who 'had a word'.

Now, he hadn't broken any laws, he had a perfect right to walk his dog past our place whenever he wanted to, but the police saw the problem for what it was and dealt with it exactly as it needed to be dealt with, without any fuss and without anyone getting arrested.

That isn't my experience. Of course, it does depend on individual officers but we had a problem with a particular neighbour (a very strange character) who seemed to be walking his dog, and hanging around, at least 6 times a day when my daughter (then 14) was at home, weekends or school holidays, but never when she wasn't there. Not a man who can be spoken to so I phoned local plod, who took it very seriously and who 'had a word'.

Now, he hadn't broken any laws, he had a perfect right to walk his dog past our place whenever he wanted to, but the police saw the problem for what it was and dealt with it exactly as it needed to be dealt with, without any fuss and without anyone getting arrested.

and now the guy's practically branded a paedophile for walking his dog - then we wonder why togs get problems taking photos!

I don't know why but this reminds me of that woman who was sunbathing naked and the guy next door looked over and ended up being charged for being a peeping tom. So he then out to his garden and sunbathed naked and when she looked over he ended up being charged for exposure haha

I'm sure it was a joke but wouldn't surprise me if it were true lol

I think the camera being suddenly removed after the police presence does raise issues that the neighbour was very aware of it being at the window. It can be quite unnerving when you suspect someone is watching you but aren't 100% sure.

My wife has already caught our neighbour across the road watching her her in the bedroom and we've only just moved in a few weeks ago. She looked up and saw his head disappear quickly behind the fabric blinds so she called me through. The idiot didn't realise that because his light was on I could see his whole body outline hiding behind the blinds! (full length sash windows) lol Then his lights went off and suddenly the blinds opened slightly. Creepy.

We've put net curtains up in the babies room which is also at the front of the house and within viewing range of this dirty sod. At the moment all he has done is look out of his window so I just have to ignore both him and the situation. By the looks of it he'll be dead soon anyway.

and now the guy's practically branded a paedophile for walking his dog - then we wonder why togs get problems taking photos!
There's an old saying that if it looks like a dog and smells like a dog it's a dog...

My only real alternatives were to do nothing, to speak to him myself and risk things getting out of hand, to try to catch him actually doing something that would get him arrested or to tell other neighbours about his conduct so that they could keep an eye on him.

I know the man, he's arrogant, conceited and a born liar. If I'd spoken to him I would have got nowhere and he wouldn't even have admitted to himself that I might have a point, that's why I asked the police to have a word.

I feel that the action I did take nipped any potential problems in the bud and gave him a chance to change his behaviour. The police officer will have simply told him that his behaviour was open to misunderstanding and that it might be better to change it, to avoid possible problems. What's wrong with that?

Getting back to this thread, I wasn't there and so can't judge but I doubt whether I would have taken the same action unless I was pretty sure that it really was a camera and that it really was pointing into my conservatory.

hmm a camera on a window sill looking over a big conservatory roof.

you do realise that he can take pictures anytime he likes by holding the camera or putting it back.
there's no way that camera was doing anything untoward and you are being paranoid.

a neighbor looks across the road from his house into your bed room, why don't you shut the curtains. What are you doing looking at his bed room.

neither of which matter anyway.

Maybe he thought, that a 12 and 14 girl, out most of the day in their nightware was very odd. And thought it would be best to keep an eye on you.

Every coin has 2 sides

My neighbour never gets undressed at night with her curtains open anymore.
It was only a 100-400L on my camera on the windowsill.

Seriously tho, good luck with this one if it is pointing into your house.
i suppose it could be a wide angle camera that covers the whole of their garden and jsut happens to be pointing in your general direction.
big hedge anyone?

Back