Nelson and friends

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Since the 12 December there has been a seal (Nelson) living in our reservoir, which to the anger of fishermen doesn't look be be leaving any time soon.

Took the kids down today to have a look, though he was sleeping on the island the whole time. There was however a very obliging heron which gave me my most successful BIF to date.

Image-014 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-002 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-009 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-007 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-011 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-023 by David Walker, on Flickr

Nelson looks to have an extremely sore rear flipper to me. :(
They think that he may have got caught up in a fishing net or something out at sea before he journeyed inland.

There have been 2 or 3 unsuccessful rescue attempts so far, but on the last one they came to the conclusion that the wound on his flipper is not life threatening and so they can't make any more attempts to move him on. He will probably move on himself once there are no fish left, the bailiff is at his wits end!

Nelson died today. :(

Despite previously explaining to the local community that tranquilising was not an option as there was a risk he would enter the water before it took affect and would drown, today they* tranquilised him and he drowned. I will be telling my kids he swam back out to sea.

*Not sure who "they" are, who organised the ill fated rescue attempt or what professional organisation was brought in to do it.

Back