Neofin blue - out of date?

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I have 3 small vials of blue, not sure how old they are, maybe 4/5 years.
Can I still use them?
Matt

Shoot a test roll first or at least a test few frames.
But I think neofin is largely preservative do should be okay and it's not like it'll oxide in those vials.

Test roll sounds like a good idea, thanks.
Matt

Neofin is a one shot developer so testing is impractical. As long as the vials are still sealed [never opened] and clear nor gone brown they should be ok.
The the original vials were all glass that had been flame sealed, you had to file the neck and break it off, like some injectable medicines.
That sort is unlikely to go off.

Neofin is a one shot developer so testing is impractical. As long as the vials are still sealed [never opened] and clear nor gone brown they should be ok.
The the original vials were all glass that had been flame sealed, you had to file the neck and break it off, like some injectable medicines.
That sort is unlikely to go off.
I was thinking of using one vial and if ok use another one to Dev the "valuable" roll.
On their website they say 2 yr shelf life if unopened - that was my concern.
Matt

Neofin blue is not suitable for developing all types of film.
It was formulated as a "beutler" type developer designed for use on very low iso films like the original single coated high silver content Adox KB and R 14 and the slightly faster KB17 and R 17 films. They were not suitable for the KB21 and R21 films which needed the Neofin red Developer ( which gave results similar to dilute D76 developer)
Neofin blue is not a fine grain developer and relies on the inherent fine grain nature of slow films. It is an extremely dilute and high actuance and compensating developer that increases edge contrast sharpness and compensates for the inherent contrast of slow films by bringing up the shadow areas.
Adox 14 and 17 din films were the equivalent of ISO 20 and 40 today.
I doubt there are any such films still available that can take full advantage of being processed in Neofin blue.

Efke continued to make single coated high silver content Film on the original Adox machinery up to 2006 in speeds of 25 50 and 100 ISO

I was thinking of using one vial and if ok use another one to Dev the "valuable" roll.
On their website they say 2 yr shelf life if unopened - that was my concern.
Matt
The original glass vials did not state a shelf life.... so yours must be the screw top ones.

What sort of film do you intend to process with it. Any modern normal speed film is likely to show extremely sharply defined grain. I expect Pan F (iso 50) to still work well with it.
Though Pan F is strange, in that it needs to be processed soon after exposure ... Days rather than weeks or months, as the latent image soon fades, and then gives the impression of extreme under exposure.

All glass vials, so presumably no shelf life, I was going to use on FP4/HP5 but I guess it's not suitable so I will need something else.
Thanks for the info.
Matt

Back