Nervous - back to basics

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Yes, I know all the reasons why it might be a bit daft to go back to film.
I've bought quite a few manual lenses recently and decided that I'd have a bit of a dabble with film again.
Spied a bargain - a Pentax S1a with a Super Takumar 55mm f2 lens and the original camera case for £60. It's in immaculate condition, not sure when it dates from but someone has certainly cared for it.
Time to visit Harrisons and buy some b&w film.
Fingers crossed at least one neg comes out okay.
The journey begins.

Problem. Eyesight not great, what do I do re knowing when it is in focus? Awkward with glasses on.

Problem. Eyesight not great, what do I do re knowing when it is in focus? Awkward with glasses on.
Well I wear glasses too and it's a bl??dy nuisance the only problem you might have is doing close ups where focus is more critical.....you might be able to still get viewfinder dioptres that slot in (the viewfinder) ????

Spied a bargain - a Pentax S1a

Did it come with the clip on meter? Fond memories (albeit dim and rose tinted!!!) of using one - it was my first foray into "proper" photography 40 odd (some VERY odd...) years ago.

Did it come with the clip on meter? Fond memories (albeit dim and rose tinted!!!) of using one - it was my first foray into "proper" photography 40 odd (some VERY odd...) years ago.
No unfortunately. I'm chuffed at the price. It was £80 but they knocked £20 off for me.
Might have a look on fleabay to see if there is one for sale.

The clip on meter was an accessory. From memory, at around the same price as a Weston Master V, the then top end selenium meter. Basically, you paid for the convenience, but the Weston was more versatile. Other hand held meters were much less expensive.

Snip:
Yes, I know all the reasons why it might be a bit daft to go back to film.

Would buying a classic car be daft? If it was your only and every-day transport, then perhaps the decision would be questionable. If it was for fun, enjoyment and use on weekends, high-days and some holidays, then it's probably not daft at all, and perhaps even enviable?!

For some it's all about the destination and how soon and easily they can get there; for others it's also about the journey, and enjoying the sights, sounds, smells, feel and experience of that too. It seems you've enjoyed the vintage lens experience, so why not the full film camera experience too? However, be warned, it won't try to flatter you and tolerate shortcomings like a modern digital camera; make a mistake and it will let you know, sometimes brutally so - as could a mis-timed gear change with a classic/vintage car.

I have a suspicion that not everyone may appreciate that level of honesty these days, or be able to cope with it. I hope you'll enjoy it though, and find the experience a refreshing change. :)

Last edited:
IIRC Nikon's F series had interchangeable focus screens. The K screen incorporated a split image finder in the centre which was/is reasonably easy to use, even if your eyesight isn't great. Some of the other screens may have had this too, but it was a long time ago and I can't remember. Perhaps Pentax offered something similar?

And OM single digit cameras, Canon F1, Exakta and a few others. In general terms, if you could change the finder, you could change the screen. Olympus weren't the only ones to allow screen swapping through the throat though.

My eyesight is dreadful and my hit rate is substantially better on rangefinders. Aligning the patch seems to suit my brain much better than the "is it blurred or is it sharp?" question.

I did think about changing the focus screen on my F-1n, but apparently (according to the instructions) the one I have is the best. So I have no clue whether a different one will be any better unless I plop down the cash and try it.

Back