Review Netbook - Acer Aspire One D

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
This year I plan on going away with the camera and wanted a cheap alternative to my lumpy oversized Vaio, I didn't want to pay through the odds for something that wouldn't be used regularly and more importantly wanted something small and lightweight so started to look at Netbooks.

The Aspire wasn't the most powerful thing out there and wasn't looking for something with the power to do full PP work so it looked like it would fit the bill.

I picked up the Notebook this morning and have been playing all day, the battery life is superb and typing is easy with full sized keys.

For the travelling tog I could not recommend the book enough as it has three USB ports, one for the small external hard drive (160GB or 250GB as standard), one for my card reader and the third for the iphone so covers all bases there.

The books dimensions are below (copied the tech spec) but it looks superb and is tiny which is suprisingly easy to handle!

For anyone worried about running out of space and looking for a travel companion this will fit into the smallest of camera bag laptop slots!

The trackpad is also exceptionally easy to use with a rocker button for your left and right clicks :)

The Acer comes with 1Gb RAM as standard but I have already ordered a 2GB card for a whopping £18 on the net new but not sure it really needs it, and am running Ability Office which can be bought for £20, with a Netbook which only costs £229 it really is a bargain which will help anyone travelling with there camera and who is worried about space...

Image stolen below:

Acer-Aspire-ONE-D255-2DQrr-101-166-GHz-1-GB-Netbook---LUSDQ0D014-AAG499-h0.jpg

Tech Specs:

Processor Intel® Atom™ Processor N450
- 1.66 GHz
- 512 KB L2 Cache
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Starter
Android 2.1
RAM - 1 GB DDR2 installed RAM
Graphics card Intel GMA 3150
- with shared video memory
Screen type Widescreen LCD
Screen resolution - WSVGA
- 1024 x 600
Screen size 10.1"
Screen features CineCrystal technology
LED backlighting
Hard drive 160 GB
Optical disk drive None
Memory card reader Multi-in-1
USB 3 x USB 2.0
FireWire No
Modem/Ethernet Ethernet RJ-45 port (Fast Ethernet)
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n WLAN
Bluetooth No
Video interface VGA
Audio interface Headphone/speaker/line-out jack
Microphone-in jack
TV output 1 x VGA (analogue video output)
Extension card slot No
Sound High-definition audio support
2 x built-in stereo speakers
MS-Sound compatible
Built-in digital microphone
Webcam Acer Crystal Eye webcam with 1280 x 1024 resolution
Keyboard & Mouse 93% of full-size keyboard
Multi-gesture touchpad, supporting two-finger scroll, pinch, rotate, flip
Battery - Lithium-ion 6-cell battery
- up to 8 hours battery life
Additional features Kensington Lock Slot
Accessories included Power cord, AC adapter, battery, documentation
Size 259 (W) x 185 (D) x 24 (H) mm
Weight 1.25 kg

I'm a big fan of the acer aspire one for ultra portability.

Overall though if going for a compact laptop style device the Samsung Q330 would probably be my choice of the moment.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/223718

13.3" screen is just that bit more practical. The CPU and RAM make it much more effective for general tasks. But it's still very compact and portable.

Back