Netbook/Camera RAW issue

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just got an Acer Aspire One (1.6ghz/1Gb RAM/XP) like this one, mainly to amuse myself on airplanes and whilst visiting the in-laws abroad. I did notice that it fits in my camera bag quite nicely too... so I thought I'd try sticking CS3 on it to see how it copes: Very well, considering. Adobe Bridge struggles slightly, but works ok too, despite being quite a bit below the minimum system requirements.

Here's the problem: Camera RAW opens fine, but the window is larger than the screen, meaning that I can't see the clarity/vibrance/saturation sliders or the cancel/open/done buttons at the bottom of the screen. The max screen size I can set is 1024x600, and it's not enough! I can't resize the camera RAW window, and to shut it down I have to Ctrl/alt/del...

Has anybody got any ideas about how to get around this (or suggestions of another program that can deal with it, and then let me continue in CS3), or am I p!ss!ng into the wind?

I've just got an Acer Aspire One (1.6ghz/1Gb RAM/XP) like this one, mainly to amuse myself on airplanes and whilst visiting the in-laws abroad. I did notice that it fits in my camera bag quite nicely too... so I thought I'd try sticking CS3 on it to see how it copes: Very well, considering. Adobe Bridge struggles slightly, but works ok too, despite being quite a bit below the minimum system requirements.

Here's the problem: Camera RAW opens fine, but the window is larger than the screen, meaning that I can't see the clarity/vibrance/saturation sliders or the cancel/open/done buttons at the bottom of the screen. The max screen size I can set is 1024x600, and it's not enough! I can't resize the camera RAW window, and to shut it down I have to Ctrl/alt/del...

Has anybody got any ideas about how to get around this (or suggestions of another program that can deal with it, and then let me continue in CS3), or am I p!ss!ng into the wind?

Try this:
Right click on the screen to bring up the display properties
Click Settings
Click Advanced
Click Monitor
Un-check the 'hide modes etc' box
Click OK

And hey presto you can change the screen resolution :D
HTH - You will have to scroll around the screen using the touch pad, but you soon get used to it ;)

Hey, that works a treat! I now have a PC small enough to fit in with my existing camera bag that runs Photoshop CS3 Extended! All for £260+-.

Cheers Steve (y)

Hey, that works a treat! I now have a PC small enough to fit in with my existing camera bag that runs Photoshop CS3 Extended! All for £260+-.

Cheers Steve (y)

Always happy to help out :D

Jerry.

It's not anywhere near as fast as my desktop, but it can cope. A video will give you a better idea... so I made one. This is my netbook simultaneously running Adobe Bridge (supposedly Pentium 4 or better ony), Camera RAW and Photoshop CS3 Extended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQAZ8Gf4VmM

Bridge slows it down the most, and it's much faster when running CS3 only. Dunno about lightroom though!

Hope that helps.

Jerry.

It's not anywhere near as fast as my desktop, but it can cope. A video will give you a better idea... so I made one. This is my netbook simultaneously running Adobe Bridge (supposedly Pentium 4 or better ony), Camera RAW and Photoshop CS3 Extended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQAZ8Gf4VmM

Bridge slows it down the most, and it's much faster when running CS3 only. Dunno about lightroom though!

Hope that helps.

Thanks VERY much for that. Really more help than I could have asked for.

It looks like it runs OK.

jerry

Back