Netflix account hacked again

Name
Hugh
Edit My Images
No
For the third time this year . Other than using strong passwords and securing profiles with a pin can I do anything else? Netflix aren’t helpful and I object to paying for some bloke in Moscow to watch filns

Use massively strong passwords (my Netflix password is 36 characters long & contains upper/lower case, numbers, symbols, none repeated & no dictionary words) I never have to type it in, that's what a secure password manager is for.

If it gets hacked, reasonably it has to be a weakness in Netflix itself...

How did you find out, did he change your admin password or was it one of those email alerts?

I've been paying for others to watch Netflix for a while now and keep fighting with my wife over me wanting to rename the accounts, seeing as it's my in-laws sponging...

aOmeZN3_460s.jpg

@gman calling them parasites is a brilliant move and the name of your account is the cherry on top.

@boyfalldown there are multiple things here. I would first of all get a password manager (I use LastPass, change Netflix password, change password of associated email account and the secret questions. Do not under any circumstances reuse passwords between accounts/ subscriptions you have. My average password is 24 characters with small and capital letters, numbers and special characters.

Where you can always use Two Factor Authentication, via your phone is fine, using a separate dongle (like Yubikey) better. Don’t save passwords on your browser when prompted, delete the ones already saved if any. Disable auto login, I would rather log in every time to websites where my card details are held, should be quick with password managers.

Do not use a public WiFi network, if you must then use a VPN (I use NordVPN but there are a bunch of good ones do your research as not all VPNs are created equal), preferably use it all the time.

If you are predominantly using a PC, separate accounts for you and others using the computer, I suggest running a virus scan of your PC to ensure you don’t have key loggers or a virus on there. Make sure your operating system is updated, run Windows Defender if using Windows and see what you get.

On the browser front, use Brave and turn on the shields to block tracking. I find it the least intrusive of all browsers and does a good job protecting you from various cookies, ad trackers and other potential nasties.

Don’t share passwords with others, in my case this includes my wife. This is not for lack of trust but because I know she is not security minded like I am (think 1234 type passwords). Using LastPass you can share a password while keeping it hidden and only visible to you. When the other person wants to open a website the password is populated for them but they will not see it.

Long answer but I’m pointing out everything I would personally do. You may already be doing some of these things which should save you some effort.

EDIT: Corrected some typos, added recommendations and expanded the answer a little. I hope people find this useful, requires a change in mindset but really helps keep you safe.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I can't take credit for that, but I did love it as well! lol

@gman calling them parasites is a brilliant move and the name of your account is the cherry on top.

@boyfalldown there are multiple things here. I would first of all get a password manager, change Netflix password, change password of associated email account and the secret questions. Do not under any circumstances reuse passwords between accounts/subscriptions you have. where you can always use Two Factor Authentication, via your phone is fine, using a separate single better. Don’t save passwords on your browser when promoted, delete the ones already saved if any. Disable auto login, I would rather log in every time to websites where my card details are held, should be quick with password managers.

Do not use a public WiFi network, if you must then use a VPN, preferably use it all the time. If you are predominantly using a PC, separate accounts for you and others using the computer, I suggest running a scan of your PC to ensure you don’t have key loggers or a virus on there.

On the browser front, use Brave and turn on the shields to block tracking. I find it the least intrusive of all browsers and does a good job protecting you from various cookies, ad trackers and other potential nasties.

Long answer but I’m pointing out everything I would personally do. You may already be doing some of these things which should save you some effort.

I suppose there will come a time, when the technology is sufficiently socially integrated, that the victim won't need to do a damn thing and the criminal will be prosecuted. Might be a while yet though.

I suppose there will come a time, when the technology is sufficiently socially integrated, that the victim won't need to do a damn thing and the criminal will be prosecuted. Might be a while yet though.

From my experience that is unlikely. There will always be a criminal element where there is financial gain involved. All you can do is make it annoying enough for them to want to hassle someone else.

I regularly check my email’s login history and on a typical day there will be 5-10 login attempts from outside the UK. It has become a fact of life now.

do the hackers change your password to get access?
or find out your password to get access?
very different things

@boyfalldown there are multiple things here. I would first of all get a password manager, change Netflix password, change password of associated email account and the secret questions. Do not under any circumstances reuse passwords between accounts/subscriptions you have. where you can always use Two Factor Authentication, via your phone is fine, using a separate single better. Don’t save passwords on your browser when promoted, delete the ones already saved if any. Disable auto login, I would rather log in every time to websites where my card details are held, should be quick with password managers.

Do not use a public WiFi network, if you must then use a VPN, preferably use it all the time. If you are predominantly using a PC, separate accounts for you and others using the computer, I suggest running a scan of your PC to ensure you don’t have key loggers or a virus on there.

thank you,really helpful

How did you find out, did he change your admin password or was it one of those email alerts?

I've been paying for others to watch Netflix for a while now and keep fighting with my wife over me wanting to rename the accounts, seeing as it's my in-laws sponging...

aOmeZN3_460s.jpg
He changed the password, and put all the profiles into Turkish which was the giveaway. Fortunately my wife speaks Turkish so we could reset it without using Netflix customer service who are s***

He changed the password, and put all the profiles into Turkish which was the giveaway. Fortunately my wife speaks Turkish so we could reset it without using Netflix customer service who are s***

That’s useful to know, you might want to consider that the device your wife is using might be compromised. The leak could be somewhere there. That LastPass hidden password sharing is really useful because even if her devices are compromised your shared passwords are not.

That’s useful to know, you might want to consider that the device your wife is using might be compromised. The leak could be somewhere there. That LastPass hidden password sharing is really useful because even if her devices are compromised your shared passwords are not.
Sorry, should of been clearer, she doesn’t use her pc or phone to acces personal stuff cause they work provided. Her being a Turk, was able to help me on my Mac

Back