From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Netflix cracks down on proxy streaming?
Apparently.

Anyone affected?

I think it's unfair that subscribers get a different (less content) deal to those in other continents. If we got the same deal then nobody would use a US DNS.

won't effect my sky movies then :thinking: (n)

I think it's unfair that subscribers get a different (less content) deal to those in other continents. If we got the same deal then nobody would use a US DNS.
You mean in the same way the UK terrestrial viewers are often behind on tv shows to the States.

I believe its against the t&cs to circumvent the regional restrictions so you get what you paid for ;)

If it happens, I'll cancel my Netflix subs. The U.K. offerings are dismal.

But, there have been rumours about this before and nothing happened. I'm sure Netflix is well aware that they stand to loose a lot of subscribers if they do.

Last edited:
Well didn't know you could / wouldn't have a clue how to do this ? [emoji3]

You mean in the same way the UK terrestrial viewers are often behind on tv shows to the States.

I believe its against the t&cs to circumvent the regional restrictions so you get what you paid for ;)

For my terrestrial TV I pay my UK TV license for BBC content, not a global company expanding numerous continents.
I no longer subscribe to Netflix but when I did I received the content allowed for the region I was viewing from, so no T&Cs breached.
I still think the content was limited compared to across the pond hence I did not extend my membership. I just do not know why, and this includes terrestrial TV, the UK should be so restricted in its content. Surely in the modern world we live in global policies are achievable.

Its not Netflix fault to be fair to them, unfortunately the broadcasting rights market is a bloody nightmare, even in Europe its not even a single market so how anyone can expect a global company to be able to do it is beyond me...

I am not up to speed on broadcasting rights but surely an international organisation has some influence to allow the content they purchase to be used across there network.

Last edited:
Regional restrictions are a pain in the arse. I have to get a region free DVD player because some stupid git thinks I shouldn't be able to buy US only releases. No wonder there are pirates. It's impossible to buy some things legitimately!

Its not Netflix fault to be fair to them, unfortunately the broadcasting rights market is a bloody nightmare

Indeed, but of course everyone one here is a photographer, so should understand about how copyright works and support other producers of creative works in their right to grant licences as they please ;)

Find it hard to believe anyone on here would actively engage in circumventing copyright, e.g. by using a proxy to access content which is not licensed in their region ...

If it happens, I'll cancel my Netflix subs. The U.K. offerings are dismal.

But, there have been rumours about this before and nothing happened. I'm sure Netflix is well aware that they stand to loose a lot of subscribers if they do.
Is it a rumour when Netflix provides the press release?

Indeed, but of course everyone one here is a photographer, so should understand about how copyright works and support other producers of creative works in their right to grant licences as they please ;)

Find it hard to believe anyone on here would actively engage in circumventing copyright, e.g. by using a proxy to access content which is not licensed in their region ...
Its one of the biggest ironies, "omg why can't I watch content I'm not licenced to?!" or "I want to build a hackintosh to hell with the EULA". Yet using photos without consent is frowned on :D

I just do not know why, and this includes terrestrial TV, the UK should be so restricted in its content. Surely in the modern world we live in global policies are achievable.

I am not up to speed on broadcasting rights but surely an international organisation has some influence to allow the content they purchase to be used across there network.

For what its worth I agree. If only for the fact you have to dodge spoilers on the internet until the UK has caught up.

:agree:

So big business makes its big territory deals with other big business, and the 'paying' consumer has to get by with what someone decides they can have. Which, in my case is German TV. Respect.

Its one of the biggest ironies, "omg why can't I watch content I'm not licenced to?!" or "I want to build a hackintosh to hell with the EULA". Yet using photos without consent is frowned on :D

It's not really an irony. I pay £9.99 a month for my Netflix. US customers pay $9.99 for the same package and yet they get so much more content.

If you can't provide the same service in the UK, charge us less.

Do uk customer get less IOS or OSX features than US customers?

It's not really an irony. I pay £9.99 a month for my Netflix. US customers pay $9.99 for the same package and yet they get so much more content.

If you can't provide the same service in the UK, charge us less.

Do uk customer get less IOS or OSX features than US customers?
If you circumvent it, that's like stealing!

Last edited:
If you circumvent it, that's like stealing!

Maybe, but millions to it. I still pay.

You're still breaching the terms you signed up to, you can't get your panties in too much of a bunch if they start enforcing it.

Millions of people exceed the speed limit, doesn't mean you won't get points if you get caught doing 40 in a 30..

:p

You don't get a choice in the terms they offer. Just because they have done some deals and have a strong grip on the market, it doesn't mean their business practices should be respected.

It appears to me that you like small print. And the enforcement thereof. I presume you never cross the road on a red man with no traffic in the middle of the night.

Last edited:
Now you're making assumptions. I never it was good or right, just that it was never really allowed in the first place. Rightly or wrongly a business is defending their usage policy.

Fitting comparison because of the core topic of a the forum - I wonder how many photographers would get the hump because of their client used images outside of their paid usage.

You don't get a choice in the terms they offer. Just because they have done some deals and have a strong grip on the market, it doesn't mean their business practices should be respected.

It appears to me that you like small print. And the enforcement thereof. I presume you never cross the road on a red man with no traffic in the middle of the night.

You do get a choice though.
Read it.
Don't like it? Don't sign up.
Pretty simple. ;)

Mod edit
encouraging illegal activity is not allowed

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd just like to point out that deflecting an IP address is not illegal

The dark forces of big business have a mysterious power over the mods.

Last edited:

Doing so in order to circumvent broadcasting laws is. :p

Ultimately if the publisher take their content away from Netflix there is not Netflix business. It's nothing new.

Ultimately if the publisher take their content away from Netflix there is not Netflix business. It's nothing new.

And if millions of paying customers ditch Netflix because their local content is rubbish there won't be a business either.

I realise this isn't necessarily Netflix clamping down, but this move will potentially push many paying customers back down the piracy path.

Anyway, these clamp down rumours were doing the rounds last year as well and nothing came of that.

No but your reason for suggesting it was.

And if millions of paying customers ditch Netflix because their local content is rubbish there won't be a business either.

I realise this isn't necessarily Netflix clamping down, but this move will potentially push many paying customers back down the piracy path.

Anyway, these clamp down rumours were doing the rounds last year as well and nothing came of that.
As I said before. Is it a rumour when Netflix themselves provides a press release?

Back