Netflix HD - Ultra HD ?

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Only last night we took advantage and signed up for the 'Netflix' free one months trail using their HD package which is £7.99 Is there anyone using their Ultra HD package which I'm guessing is 4k streaming quality......?

A few months ago we bought a new Samsung 49" smart 4k TV and enjoying it emensley.

Any thoughts/experience/advice appreciated.

Regards;
Peter
Scotland

Last edited:
Yeah, I have the Ultra HD package. In my opinion it is worth it if you have a 4K TV although you might not see too much difference if you are sat too far away from your 49" TV. Some of the newer stuff is HDR as well as UHD which can make as much of a worthwhile improvement.

The amount of 4K content is increasing quite rapidly too.

My son has Netflix and 4K TV - problem is that his internet download speed is not fast enough to stream 4K.
Needs proper investigation!

My son has Netflix and 4K TV - problem is that his internet download speed is not fast enough to stream 4K.
I was thinking that. If you're TV is connected to the network via Wifi, I'd imagine you'd have to have a pretty descent Wifi signal too as well as a good download speed. In fact might be best connecting your TV to your router via ethernet for uninterrupted viewing.

Last edited:
I was thinking that. If you're TV is connected to the network via Wifi, I'd imagine you'd have to have a pretty descent Wifi signal too as well as a good download speed

I’ve just googled it - you need 25 Mbps for 4K download. Superfast fibre required!

Only fiber optic internet will do 4K. And its expensive £26 a month I pay for the slowest fiber package BT do

That's weird because I watch blu planet 2 on iPlayer 4k with under 20mb brodband.

I recently invested in a new 4K OLED TV and immediately upgraded to the UHD Netflix package. The difference is amazing, the content is lacking however.

Ive seen some stuff on 4k download and like folk says unless you are very close the difference is very tiny on saying that the colour HDR thing does make a difference.

I have BT infinity when I asked to upgrade to Infinity 2 I was told there is not point they couldn't improve on what I had . I then went to upgrade to a UHD BT YouView box for the UHD football , the option wasn't available to me , I again was told it was because my connection wouldn't carry the information . Can't even give them money :(

I think I remember reading about 8k in Japan and it is due to all there TV is delivered via a mega fibre system so over specced it's scary. Where they need 1gb they put in 10gb.

Only last night we took advantage and signed up for the 'Netflix' free one months trail using their HD package which is £7.99 Is there anyone using their Ultra HD package which I'm guessing is 4k streaming quality......?

A few months ago we bought a new Samsung 49" smart 4k TV and enjoying it emensley.

Any thoughts/experience/advice appreciated.

Regards;
Peter
Scotland

I've got the Netflix UHD and also BT's 4K Sport channel. I think the actual bitrate of UHD on Netflix is more in the region of 15 Mbps and the 25 Mbps requirement is to allow for overheads/other devices using the connection etc. The UHD is good, especially considering it is streamed, but in dark scenes you can notice a little bit of banding. 1080p BluRay is better at handling dark scenes but of course it will be when compared to streaming.

I think BT 4K streams at a slightly higher bitrate and it's interesting to be able to do a direct comparison as the same game will be showing on the 1080p streaming BT sports channel. The FOV is slightly different, audio sounds clearer (perhaps due to source equipment used) and you can make out the blades of grass better but it's certainly not the same jump as comparing SD to 1080p.

I was tempted to get a 4K BluRay player but to be honest the 1080p is already near perfect for a 50" TV at my viewing distance with my eyesight that it's not worth the upgrade, not to mention the cost of the 4K discs. I think if my TV was 60 or 70" upwards then 4K would probably be far more worthwhile.

To really see your TV's 4K shine I recommend downloading the 4K manufacturer samples and 4K movie trailers which you can get online, which use high bitrates. Pop them onto a USB stick and play directly on your TV. Some of them are awesome, especially the chess one which has immense detail in it.

http://4ksamples.com/
http://4kmedia.org/
http://www.download4k.info/

Blueplanet in 4k is quite good. Can't watch it for too long as normally the cat gets too interested in whatever is on screen and starts to want to climb all around the TV...

Back