Netflix or lovefilm

Same here tried both very few new films all old or b movies.

Depends what you want. If you just want pure streaming, then Netflix. If you don't mind going down the physical "dvd to your door, then post back" route, Lovefilm offers newer releases.

In a nutshell....Streaming service on Lovefilm blows. Really old titles and shaky streaming quality, BUT you can get fairly new releases on physical discs. Netflix has a more fluid interface (although WHY OH WHY they take away you ability to browse titles by genre on PS3 is beyond me, when you can on the pc and mobile apps), not exactly the latest titles but there's always something to watch including a great selection of TV series and Documentaries.....and it's brilliant if you have younger children.

Maybe not worth it if you have Sky/Virgin....but we just run Freeview and find it (Netflix) compliments it fairly nicely.

Netflix is good for TV series. They offer a free month so you can fill your boots. Their house of cards original production is fantastic. Streaming is faultless even on an often shoddy Virgin cable service. There are a few films on there but not that many.

Most of the online services are limited because of content distribution deals so no single service seems to carry everything.

Not tried love film but just about everything I searched to watch wasn't available to stream only DVD.

We've got love film. Tried both on trial but we really like love film. We get the 1 disk rental plus the unlimited streaming and we really like it. 'We' is me and my wife btw :)

Try them both out with the free trial they offer. Some people prefer lovefilm, others netflix.

Check topcashback or quidco as well - they normally give cashback for even just making use of the trial, so they pay you to use the service for a month.

I've got netflix on the ipad, I like it a lot. There's a lot of people using sites to get the superior American netflix.

I did a free lovefilm trial a while ago. The DVD service was good but for online streaming it was really poor because they simply didn't have enough recent films available. This was about 2 years ago now so things may have changed, but at the time I felt it would have been ridiculously expensive for what you get. I actually only took out the trial because in doing so I got a £25 amazon voucher. They do similar offers now but all require you to actually sign up to get the voucher.

I've had both and for streaming they're both crap in terms of selection. I find Apple TV suits me better.

I've had both and for streaming they're both crap in terms of selection. I find Apple TV suits me better.

Netflix is miles ahead of love film for streaming, both in content and quality of service.

Sure, apple tv offers new titles but it isn't a subscription service and if the OP wanted to go down that route he could just rent new tv and movie titles straight from the PSN Store :shrug:

Love film is working hard on the live streaming - adding a lot of titles very quickly including loads of TV shows.

A lot of the streaming is available in HD, very clever compression matrix, there's a bit of banding/loss of definition in the OOF parts of the scene with larger colour blocks.

Watched about 8 episodes of Sons of Anarchy yesterday whilst doing various jobs around the house

I have lovefilm but only use the DVD/BD by post part of it. No complaints, turn round is fast and I've got over 50 films queued up, so no shortage of stuff to watch on it either as far as I'm concerned.

When FTTC gets installed in my exchange (this year, allegedly) I'll be able to comment on the streaming side, as it stands I can't stream even DVD quality video so don't bother.

I use netflix, but once you have registered you need to register with unblock-us.

This is another $4.99 (canadian) per month, but you will gain access to all the US content and trust me there is a LOT more content and much newer movies more often.

http://www.unblock-us.com/

Last edited:
when I want US stuff on the main TV I play it on the mac and mirror it through apple tv so if you are a mac user there is that option if you want a free one.

Mac is too far away from the TV to be useful, but around £2.30 per month doesn't really break the bank enough to worry about it.

What TV shows do you like OP? Shows like Breaking Bad make Netflix worth £6 quid alone.

I use netflix, but once you have registered you need to register with unblock-us.

This is another $4.99 (canadian) per month, but you will gain access to all the US content and trust me there is a LOT more content and much newer movies more often.

http://www.unblock-us.com/

The Canadian Netflix is worth a look too if you're using unblock-us. They've got season 2 of justified which the last time I checked neither the Uk or US site have.

Shows I like are 24 sons of anarchy action thrillers also documentaries dexter blue bloods also ncis

Have you watched Breaking Bad? Your taste in shows sounds like mine, for you Netflix is worth trying for a free trial and if you want try the US version.

I've had a lovefilm account for a few years now and I've had over 1100 rentals from them in that time. I get some of the newer releases fairly quickly, Jack Reacher was on my doorstep the day after it was released, and they have a decent selection of older dvd's.

I've got very few dvd's on my list as between the ones I've already seen and my personal collection, currently at around 4,100 dvd's, there's very little left that is of interest to me. I've had a few Xbox360 games amongst the rentals as my son likes to try before he buys but I don't use the streaming facility as I find it too unreliable TBH.

Never seen breaking bad

It's really good, read up about it on imdb it gets a 9.4/10.

I've had a lovefilm account for a few years now and I've had over 1100 rentals from them in that time. I get some of the newer releases fairly quickly, Jack Reacher was on my doorstep the day after it was released, and they have a decent selection of older dvd's.

I've got very few dvd's on my list as between the ones I've already seen and my personal collection, currently at around 4,100 dvd's, there's very little left that is of interest to me. I've had a few Xbox360 games amongst the rentals as my son likes to try before he buys but I don't use the streaming facility as I find it too unreliable TBH.

4,100 DVDs :eek: What's your favourite?

Have you ever done a guestimate for the number of hours/days/weeks you've spent watching films? :LOL: That's a mighty impressive collection!

Edit: I just have...Assuming an average film length of 1.5 hours and no repeat viewings of films, having watched 5200 DVDs you've spent 325 days (or 46 weeks and 3 days) watching movies ;)

Last edited:
Well I have to admit, I haven't actually got round to watching them all. That doesn't include the kids dvd's either. The collection results from a back injury that I've never properly recovered from and I have to spend a lot of time laid up doing nothing (until I started coming on here of course) and I don't sleep much more than about 3 hours a night. I try my best to get on with life as usual, but sometimes it's just not possible.

Don't really have a favourite, but I've seen Jaws and Quadrophenia well over 100 times each, The Green Mile is over 40 times and a few others in excess of 10 times each. I've also got some very rare original releases that are no longer available or have been re-released since.

I've been using Netflix on the Xbox, as well as on a tablet. Great service. Selection isn't massive, but for 6 quid a month, there's plenty to keep you entertained.

AARRRRGGGHHHH when did Netflix put a '2 devices at once' limit on? :(

Hi,

A few months ago, can't remember exactly. Don't think a PC is part of the count though ;-)

Mike.

Hi,

A few months ago, can't remember exactly. Don't think a PC is part of the count though ;-)

Mike.

I didn't know that. I have it on two apple tv's, a ps3, 2x iPads and iPhone. And potentially still on a laptop or two ..

I didn't know that. I have it on two apple tv's, a ps3, 2x iPads and iPhone. And potentially still on a laptop or two ..

Think you might have misinterpreted the 2 at once bit, they limit to 2 active concurrent streams, not how many devices have it installed.
Hth.

Think you might have misinterpreted the 2 at once bit, they limit to 2 active concurrent streams, not how many devices have it installed.
Hth.

Fair play. To be honest I hadn't heard about the limit until today :)

Hi,

Yeah I meant to say that it's watching on two devices at the same time ie: ps3 and WDTV or similar. But I am pretty sure you can watch on a PC as the same time as two other devices and it's ok.

I also wonder if it relates to devices that you need to put a verification code from the Netflix site in like I had to with my Sony Bluray player. We have Netflix installed on 2 PCs, 2 laptops, 3 apple TV's, 2 WDTVs within our family and it all works fine, although whether 2 of them are streaming at the same time I'm not sure.

Mike.

Neither as both streaming/download service doesn't provide subtitles for the Hard Of Hearing - at least last time I looked into it a few months ago (having subtitles/close captions is important for me what with my severe hearing loss).

As a result it's either iTunes video or the traditional trip to Blockbusters to rent Blu Rays when it comes to watching the latest films on demand.

Last edited:
Back