Network Attached Storage

Take a look at Asustor, you generally get more bang for your buck than QNAP or Synology.

I have this one and it's superb.

A lot depends what you want it for really.

I wanted video transcoding, fast ethernet.
If you just want between storage and cheap one will do.

Last edited:
I've got a Synology DS220j dual-bay NAS with two 4TB HDDs in SHR (Synology Hybrid Raid) configuration. It gives me 4TB of storage as the drives are mirrors of each other so if one drive fails I don't lose any data. Unlike RAID 1 the SHR system allows you to replace a failed drive with one of a different (higher) capacity - this is not a true back-up though as a single power spike could take out both drives at the same time.

I can access the NAS from anywhere in the world with either a WiFi or mobile signal. There are apps for accessing photos, data files, audio/video streaming, etc., that work on Android and iOS.

Happy Synology Custumer here, started out with 4 bay (3 x 4Tb drives in SHR), added further JBOD 4Tb drive for CCTV, upgrdaed original 3x4Tb drives to 3 x 16Tb Drive - using SHR upgrade was very easy, take one drive at a time out and put new drive in, NAS copied all required data automatically. Very impressed with how smooth the operation was.

Ive had the unit several years now, and it just sits in the corner, getting on with its job, combined with my main PC and cloud storage, I'm very happy that my data (for work) is in multiple places at once (One Drive, Main PC, and 2 x on the NAS) - seamless operation.

another vote for asustor, I have one which replaced my qnap, much better all round for the price,

I've got a Synology DS220j dual-bay NAS with two 4TB HDDs in SHR (Synology Hybrid Raid) configuration. It gives me 4TB of storage as the drives are mirrors of each other so if one drive fails I don't lose any data. Unlike RAID 1 the SHR system allows you to replace a failed drive with one of a different (higher) capacity - this is not a true back-up though as a single power spike could take out both drives at the same time.

I can access the NAS from anywhere in the world with either a WiFi or mobile signal. There are apps for accessing photos, data files, audio/video streaming, etc., that work on Android and iOS.
A UPS should protect against a power spike.....

Back