network help..

Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
having a problem with my sky internet connections , it keeps losing internet, probably 5 or 6 times per day, drives me f*****g mad..
when i had the line checked they said it was my problem, not theirs, supposedly after the BT box its you'r problem, but my tower & laptop work
from the router wirelessly which is directly plugged into the BT box? also phone is very crackly and you can just about hear who is talking
on other end..thats also connected to main box..HELP!!

Ask them to sort out your noisy voice line - don't mention the internet

who is your phone line with sky or bt, report it as a fault

having a problem with my sky internet connections , it keeps losing internet, probably 5 or 6 times per day, drives me f*****g mad..
when i had the line checked they said it was my problem, not theirs, supposedly after the BT box its you'r problem, but my tower & laptop work
from the router wirelessly which is directly plugged into the BT box? also phone is very crackly and you can just about hear who is talking
on other end..thats also connected to main box..HELP!!
I had exactly the same symptoms about 6 mnths ago.I went outside and opened the box where the telephone line was connected to go into the house and I could see the blue and white wire had cracked and the connection was intermittent. I cut the wire clean and used a plastick connector to rejoin it and it was perfect.
I found the fault by working back from the inside telephone socket.

I had exactly the same symptoms about 6 mnths ago.I went outside and opened the box where the telephone line was connected to go into the house and I could see the blue and white wire had cracked and the connection was intermittent. I cut the wire clean and used a plastick connector to rejoin it and it was perfect.
I found the fault by working back from the inside telephone socket.
I'll give it a go tomorrow.. seems like a pile of wires though...

Try this go to your master socket if it has a removable face plate it should have a test socket.

http://www.exbtengineers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/BT-Master-Socket-Test.jpg

How do I use it?

By plugging into your test socket, you bypass all the internal wiring. This will help you identify whether any problems you’re having are to do with the wiring in your home or to do with the local telephone line.

If your devices are working fine in the test socket, then the problem is probably in your home. If none of your devices are working in the test socket, then it’s probably a fault in the local area.

Hope this helps don't always believe the "helpline"

Last edited:
Are you using a busy wireless channel? Or is something interfering? Try switching your router to a new channel

Plug the phone direct into the master socket, if it's still crackly then it is a line faiult.
I had this a few years back. but lost all internet connection, they denied it was there problem
and after 2 weeks I stopped the payments and demanded the code and changed back to BT
instantly without anyone visiting the house BT had me back on line on the set day.
Seems that third party companies that provide phone?internet via BT lines have to pay for
the engineers to sort out problems and some are reluctant to do so.
Have to say with BT any problems are sorted almost immediately

A crackly line can be two things, either your adsl microfilter is kaput which just happens. I always keep a spare. Or the line is faulty.

As suggested above, at the mastersocket remove the microfilter and and plug the phone in by itself. If it stops its the microfilter.
If still crackling, then remove the face plate and use the test socket. If crackling stops the problem is internally with something in an extension socket. If it still crackles it will be outside your property.

But don't think bt is any different. I'm having a fault now, I diagnosed it to be outside my property. Yet at every step they tell me that if it isn't I'm liable to pay them. I find that such an irritant.

As above multiple times, test the phone in the master socket, if it's crackly there you'll never get a lean ADSL signal. It's not worth messing with anything else till you have a clean signal in the house.

I am plugged into the master socket..been plugged in there since the asked me to try it out..still the same unfortunately.
tried a few microfilters, still the same, but they still insist that the fault is in the house?
thanks for all your help...mark
That's the same as it was with me.Go and check the connections outside the house for damp broken connections there should only be about 6 wires

I am plugged into the master socket..been plugged in there since the asked me to try it out..still the same unfortunately.
tried a few microfilters, still the same, but they still insist that the fault is in the house?
thanks for all your help...mark
As per my response, there are still,two possibilities as it could be with an extension from the master socket.

Did you remove the faceplate and plugged it in the test socket. If it then still,crackles it is definitely on the side they are responsible for.

That's the same as it was with me.Go and check the connections outside the house for damp broken connections there should only be about 6 wires
Whilst it could be true, strictly speaking that is not his or yours to touch. That part belongs to BT.

As per my response, there are still,two possibilities as it could be with an extension from the master socket.

Did you remove the faceplate and plugged it in the test socket. If it then still,crackles it is definitely on the side they are responsible for.
yes.. thats where its plugged into now..mark.

In that case definitely their problem and they must fix it. Be sure you use the correct language when you call. It wasn't clear to me.

I'm with BT,I make a point of renting one of their phones so when they start on about "if it's your equipment that's at fault you will be charged £90" I can say,"all the equipment is yours",Must say we live in an exposed location and prone to crackly lines but faults are usually fixed in a couple of days.

Damn you are in a cheap area. They "threaten" me with £129.99. But agreed, I did the test online on Saturday evening. Which confirmed it is outside or near my property and I logged the fault. Then on Sunday morning I heard our alarm chirp which was a phone disruption so I knew they were testing it, and at 07:00 on a Sunday morning they called me to confirm it was outside the property and will fix it within a few days. Yes still another email came with a "threat" that I will have to pay if it is our fault.

Such wonderful customer service these days isnt it. Telephone, internet, gas/ electricity, etc etc ad infinitum. Grrrrrr.

Damn you are in a cheap area. They "threaten" me with £129.99. But agreed, I did the test online on Saturday evening. Which confirmed it is outside or near my property and I logged the fault. Then on Sunday morning I heard our alarm chirp which was a phone disruption so I knew they were testing it, and at 07:00 on a Sunday morning they called me to confirm it was outside the property and will fix it within a few days. Yes still another email came with a "threat" that I will have to pay if it is our fault.
It's probably gone up since I last had to reason with them.B'stards

I've had that a couple of times in the past few years and it was def' a fault outside the house but they would never tell me what.
My line runs through trees and i've always said it must be getting frayed or pulled from the connection.

Ours has been fixed. Voice is working again. And broadband is now 4x as fast as it was. Happy days.

I'm actually impressed, reported it online on Saturday evening. Got a call on Sunday morning, and engineer out today. My daughter said they saw a bt van at the bottom of the road. Email communication inbetween all of it.

If it wasn't for the "threat" of having to pay it would be outstanding service.

Back