Network switch problems

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Just finished building my new study but having some problems getting a network connection, which scuppers my plans somewhat.

I have my main network switch for the house and the router upstairs in a cupboard all working fine. The room I have converted to a study was never intended for this when I first gutted the house so network cables were never run. It is a tricky room to get cables down to without channeling out walls, so having manages to run one cable through I have added another small switch in the study to give me a few access points.

However I cannot get a connection from this new switch, I get a 'not valid ip address' error message. If I disconnect the new cable I have run from the main switch to the study switch and connect it directly into a computer it works, so I know my cabling is ok. It seems like some sort of conflict between the two switches.

Any ideas what it could be?

@bass_junkie83
I wonder if this page helps https://www.dummies.com/programming/networking/daisy-chaining-network-switches/ it suggests that daisy chaining up to 3 switches is OK but with the caveat about the type/functionality of the ones used.

But just maybe it seems to depend on the types and ages of the switch(es) you have available and are trying to use..................if unsure post their makes and model numbers and hopefully those with more detailed network setup knowledge will chime in for you?

I'd be inclined to replace both switches with one that has more ports.
I encountered a similar problem years ago with a netgear and a dlink switch.
I replaced both with an 8 port switch.

@bass_junkie83
I wonder if this page helps https://www.dummies.com/programming/networking/daisy-chaining-network-switches/ it suggests that daisy chaining up to 3 switches is OK but with the caveat about the type/functionality of the ones used.

But just maybe it seems to depend on the types and ages of the switch(es) you have available and are trying to use..................if unsure post their makes and model numbers and hopefully those with more detailed network setup knowledge will chime in for you?
That's my thought, i will go confirm the model numbers in a bit. As another test i have disconnected the second switch from the first and connected it directly to the router so no daisy chaining going but still the same issue, its looking like the second switch may be faulty.

If it’s just a simple switch it should just work, unless it’s faulty. If it’s a managed switch it could be misconfigured.
As above, it is looking like the switch may be faulty.

I'd be inclined to replace both switches with one that has more ports.
I encountered a similar problem years ago with a netgear and a dlink switch.
I replaced both with an 8 port switch.
I have more than enough ports, main switch is 24 port, just being lazy using the second as it cable routing is a PITA.

I've got several switches chained together. It should be fine. Incoming broadband comes in via one switched port which goes to my router and that switch output goes off upstairs to another switch and the main computer is on yet another switch is at the end of the cable.

Some can be funny if you don't use a particular port to chain them together though. That's the only thing I can think of that could be wrong. Check the user manual to see which one they prefer. I think it's usually port 1.

These are the switches in question.

20190413_085226-872x1164~2.jpg20190413_084857-872x654.jpg20190413_084838-872x654.jpg

I've got several switches chained together. It should be fine. Incoming broadband comes in via one switched port which goes to my router and that switch output goes off upstairs to another switch and the main computer is on yet another switch is at the end of the cable.

Some can be funny if you don't use a particular port to chain them together though. That's the only thing I can think of that could be wrong. Check the user manual to see which one they prefer. I think it's usually port 1.

Will look up the manuals but both are now wired directly to the router.

The black patch panel could be at fault or the patch lead could be faulty. There is an orange light on one port instead of a green one so that would make me suspicious.

Why is a patch panel in use?

Try taking the small switch and plugging directly into the main switch. Then see if you get a connection via the small switch. Would rule out any cabling abnormality.

One example situation, you may have a crossover configuration on one of your ports/cables and one or both switches may not support crossover detection but your computer does.

The manual for the little switch says port five for connection to another router, this appears to be empty in your photo?

So what link lights do you see on the corresponding ports? And is there any config on the managed switch?

Sounds to me like there's no link between the 2 switches so either auto-negotiation isn't functioning, auto-crossover detection isn't working or a cable fault. Either way, Neil's advice above is sound for starting to troubleshoot.

Personally I hate Netgear stuff, inherently unreliable, if it turns out to be faulty I'd go with a TP-Link one as it's the lesser of 2 evils.

The black patch panel could be at fault or the patch lead could be faulty. There is an orange light on one port instead of a green one so that would make me suspicious.

Why is a patch panel in use?
Not sure onthe orange light, that port is unrelated to any of the connections I am having trouble with but I shall look into it.
The patch panel is in use for various reasons. I understood that you shouldn't put plugs on solid core cable, or at least there are specific plugs for this which I didn't have. Also at the time I wired the house I didn't have the switch so the patch cable gave me something I could neatly terminate all the cables to and finish that job off, and at the time this room was going to be the study and the plan was for a rack mounted PC to keep it out the way and tidy. A baby scuppered those plans!

Try taking the small switch and plugging directly into the main switch. Then see if you get a connection via the small switch. Would rule out any cabling abnormality.

One example situation, you may have a crossover configuration on one of your ports/cables and one or both switches may not support crossover detection but your computer does.
Tried this and the small switch is in fact working fine, so seems to be an issue with the cable I had run which is odd ad when I connect a laptop directly to that cable it all works.
The manual for the little switch says port five for connection to another router, this appears to be empty in your photo?
Didn't realise they were fussy as to which port is used, but have changed this around and still no joy.

So what link lights do you see on the corresponding ports? And is there any config on the managed switch?

Sounds to me like there's no link between the 2 switches so either auto-negotiation isn't functioning, auto-crossover detection isn't working or a cable fault. Either way, Neil's advice above is sound for starting to troubleshoot.

Personally I hate Netgear stuff, inherently unreliable, if it turns out to be faulty I'd go with a TP-Link one as it's the lesser of 2 evils.

Thanks to all the above, I finally found the cause of the problem. A dodgy crimp tool which seems to intermittently fail to push down one of the blades in the RJ45 connector was giving me a dodgy connection, re-terminated that end of the cable and all is now working perfectly. :D

Glad you got it sorted, with regards to the solid vs stranded statement it's mainly to do with flexibility and to a small degree signal attentuation (unlikely to be needed in domestic use).

Solid core is fine for most, dodgy plugs and cheap patch-panels are more likely to cause a problem than the cable type. Use a ratchet crimper, better than the 'squeeze and pray' crimpers!

Glad you got it sorted, with regards to the solid vs stranded statement it's mainly to do with flexibility and to a small degree signal attentuation (unlikely to be needed in domestic use).

Solid core is fine for most, dodgy plugs and cheap patch-panels are more likely to cause a problem than the cable type. Use a ratchet crimper, better than the 'squeeze and pray' crimpers!
I've given up using crimpers entirely now, I buy ready made flexible cables and if I'm installing permanent cabling from a reel I terminate both ends on either patch panels or sockets, using a punch down tool.

I'm just a programmer, not an IT person though.

I've given up using crimpers entirely now, I buy ready made flexible cables and if I'm installing permanent cabling from a reel I terminate both ends on either patch panels or sockets, using a punch down tool.

Definitely the way to go, terminating sockets is so much easier than trying to get 8 cables into the RJ45 connector in the right order.

By the way, the different coloured light on the switch is likely due to a different negotiation speed - perhaps a printer that can only support 100Mbit not 1GBit.

Higher grades of cabling are certainly making it more difficult to terminate straight into an RJ45 but as long as you plan accordingly it tends to be okay. A network tester is a worthwhile investment if you’re doing lots as it might have picked this particular issue up but obviously completely overkill if you aren’t doing it all the time :LOL:

As it happens, probably about 90% of things I end up re-terminating are because I haven’t punched them down properly, but there you go :LOL:

Back