Networking problem!

Matt.

Judge Dredd
Edit My Images
Yes
This one's an interesting one, and isn't helped by the fact that the person that phoned me (uni friend) is 3hrs away! Anyway, she basically has no internet, and needs to sort it out :)

My problem is i can't tell if she's actually understanding what i ask her, and whether she's doing the right things! The setup is a linksys router connected to a BY cable modem, and all the computers are wireless.

Apparently the correct lights are on on the router and modem but it suddenly stopped giving them internet. So i asked if she was connected to the network properly and she says yes, so i ask her to bring up the router admin thing in IE... 'page not found'. So clearly she's not on the network, BUT the computer says it is (network connections say connected), BUT ipconfig gives no IP addresses!

The router/modem have been turned off and on again which has made no change.

So, what should i suggest she tries? Other than finding someone who's not 3hrs away to have a look!

If the router is reset (ie. back to factory settings), are there any bits, other than wireless security, that need setting up for it to work with a BY cable modem?

Thanks

reboot first off, check firewall settings as the firewall can block router for no reason(like mine at work for example) also reboot router...

She's just come back from a week away, so i'd be surprised if firewall settings have changed. The computer has been rebooted, and as mentioned above, the router and modem have also been restarted :) However, there's every chance that she doesn't fully understand what i'm saying, and so what she's telling me isn't actually correct :p

Ask what she get sfrom

ipconfig /all

Will do, i did the standard ipconfig and there were no addresses though!

Will do, i did the standard ipconfig and there were no addresses though!

so there is a problem between the router and the PC.

If its wireless can she see the SSID from the PC?

The confusion is coming from the computer reporting that it's connected... ie. when she goes it network connections, it says it's connected. Though i'm not convinced of that, as there are no addresses with ipconfig!

can it connect and not recieving the DHCP info??

tried setting it to maual IP, Gateway and DNS servers?

I'll ask her if she's sorted it yet, if not i'll try:
- Checking that she's connected (it uses 3com software, not the standard windows wireless app)
- ipconfig /all
- finding out if she has a normal network cable to try it cabled not wireless
- manual settings
- reset router to factory settings

Does that seem about right?

If she's on a laptop, make sure that the wireless is enabled. Confused the hell out of me the other week. Taskbar shows icon but doesn't see anything regardless of what you do!

Carl.

I'll ask her if she's sorted it yet, if not i'll try:
- Checking that she's connected (it uses 3com software, not the standard windows wireless app)
- ipconfig /all
- finding out if she has a normal network cable to try it cabled not wireless
- manual settings
- reset router to factory settings

Does that seem about right?

LOL yep, might be easier to catch the train/bus up. :LOL:

Back