Critique Neuadd Reservoir / Pen-Y-Fan

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Posted this in the D750 thread, but thought I'd throw it out there for some C+C.

This was my first "proper" attempt at using LV to MF, coupled with ND Grads to get the desired effect.

It's far from perfect, but was hoping some of the 'seasoned pros' could give me some pointers?

Neuadd Reservoir 2 by Chuckoir, on Flickr

It's a couple of hours from me, but I will be definitely be going back when there will hopefully be water in it!

Thanks for looking.

Ah, my old stomping ground.

I'm no seasoned pro but here goes.

The first thing that sruck me was the title. I saw it and thought I have to look as Iwas born and bred nearby. The title mentions the reservoir, I appreciate it's empty but it's not in the scene. It's just a title I know but titles can actually be a part of an image in a roundabout way.

As for the image, yep, typical Beacons on a bleak day and it's done well to show that. I would crop the bottom to bring the 3 clumps of reeds tighter to the frame and make them the main forground interest. I think the pool to the right grabs the eye away from the distant hills and the dramatic sky/clouds and should be removed with some simple cloning. I like the processing, it just typifies the place on a bleak day, very nice.

Well worth a revisit with some water in it. :)

Thanks for your comments, Dale - much appreciated! You were born and bred in a very picturesque part of the world! Hopefully I've done it justice.

I take on board what you said about the name - to be honest, I wasn't sure if it was supposed to have water in it! Are there specific times of year when it's "guaranteed" to have water?

I've edited the picture slightly (below), to bring the three lots of reeds closer in - think that works better, and have removed the patch of snow from the right.

Pen-Y-Fan Edit by Chuckoir, on Flickr

I will definitely be going back, thinking sunrise would be good - and if I can get some water, even better!

Thanks again.

To be honest, I've never seen it empty. I live in Scotland now so haven't been there for over 12 years, although I have been to Wales recently. I seem to recollect that it had been drained although I'm not sure. It maybe worth a Google.

I think the edit is an improvement but I'd have gone just a fraction less tight at the bottom

Next time you're in the area, check out Pontsicill reservoir. It has a 'plughole' type spillway with a walkway and tower over it, well worth a visit. Talybont reservoir isn't a million miles away either. When I lived there, I wasn't into photography, so I don't have any images of the area other than snaps.

Last edited:
Next time you're in the area, check out Pontsicill reservoir. It has a 'plughole' type spillway with a walkway and tower over it, well worth a visit. Talybont reservoir isn't a million miles away either. When I lived there, I wasn't into photography, so I don't have any images of the area other than snaps.

I drove past Pontiscill and stopped halfway along it for a recce - didn't realise there was an overspill a bit further along. Will definitely check it out next time I'm in there area. Thanks!

Back