Never knew.... Norway

Stunning locations in the video, definitely on my bucket list to visit Norway

Best landscapes I've ever seen in person were in New Zealand, especially the South Island but I would rate the scenery in Norway very close to these.

I went to Norway in the summer and was lucky with the weather I guess.

My favourite shot from that trip:

20050724_214052.jpg

Shot with a Canon 300D and the humble Sigma 70-300 Macro. This was just a shot from the side of the road at sunset.

Last edited:
We were on Bergen in July and were told that it had rained there sometime every day for the past three months. It rained on us too.

I spend around 8 months in Norway over two postings while in the Army.

Appreciate it, I did not, but I recall it being amazing.

Finland is also a bit special.

TP Norway Meet 2108 :)

Cheers.

Yes. Thank you. We bought a fridge magnet of that row. Close up on a dingy day it was not inspiring. Close up they are just full of the usual tripper shops.

Hoping to do the Hurtigruten (?sp?) ferry trip at some point. Either the whole thing (Bergen to the top and back) or the half trip (Tromso to the top and back). Not sure when or what season but Mrs Nod fancies doing a dog sled side trip so that might mean it'll need to be winterish! A friend did it last month (1/2 trip) and said it was fantastic and Mum and Dad enjoyed the full trip a few years ago, despite it raining almost constantly and not seeing the AB (which my pal did on a few of the nights they were there.)

@Nod we seriously looked at going back on one of the Hurtigruten trips. Looked good but from up here we had to fly via Copenhagen. We were to spend longer in transit than the direct flight would take! You suvveners can fly direct.

Spoke to others who had done it and they all enjoyed it. Said it was well worth it.

We had a flyer for last Autum/now and we can fly direct to Bergen from Bristol. Can't remember what the arrangement was for the Tromso start/finish and I have a feeling that the flyer has been "tidied away" to the recycling. Probably won't be for a couple of years anyway but we'll see.

I have friends in Bergen so have been many times and yes I think it's rained every time.

Here's what it looks like when the sun shines :)

View attachment 97497

We spent a few hours in Bergen in April and it remained dry ....... almost all day! We loved the views from Mt. Floyen and spent most of our time there. By the time we headed back to our ship, we only had a short time in Bryggen itself, which was a shame, because there is a maze of photogenic alleyways and passages hidden behind the colourful wharf facade. I have attached a couple of photos from this area, but we are hoping to be able to return again next year.

Note: if you go on an excursion on a cruise, it may be a bit rushed and we did not have enough time to take 'proper' photographs - just time for holiday snaps mostly.

Bryggen1.jpg Bryggen2.jpg

We were on Bergen in July and were told that it had rained there sometime every day for the past three months. It rained on us too.

You must have chosen the wrong end of July. We were there at the beginning of the month and the weather was sweltering for our five day stay! :) (Admittedly only two days in Bergen and the other three in Oslo but still sweltering)

#1 son lives in Oslo so cheap bed and board. Also the travel company that daughter works for is about to start selling Hurtigruten trips so hopefully "family rates" will apply for the round trip. (y)

Last edited:
Lofoten Islands are beautiful and so unspoilt. We went in June last year and were blown away by the scenery.

We love Norway & have been 5 times over the years. I can seriously recommend the Hurtigruten trip, we have done the round trip twice, once in February and once in April. The scenery is fantastic, loads of photo opportunities both from the ship and on shore trips and we saw the Northern Lights several times on both trips. If you do the round trip you get to see the ports you visited at night on the way North in daytime on the way South. The food on the ferry is authentic local cuisine & very good, but be aware alcohol in Norway is very expensive.

Last edited:
Would love to do the Lofoten islands, they look fabulous.
Me too, but the right time of year is not easy to find. In terms of sunrise, sunset and the aurora, March would probably be good, but it's still winter there in March.

I've been lucky to holiday in Norway, Alaska & New Zealand.... Norway is easily up there with the others and for me in parts was probably even more impressive, cruising through some of the sounds is just spectacular

Simon

We spent a few hours in Bergen in April and it remained dry ....... almost all day! We loved the views from Mt. Floyen and spent most of our time there. By the time we headed back to our ship, we only had a short time in Bryggen itself, which was a shame, because there is a maze of photogenic alleyways and passages hidden behind the colourful wharf facade. I have attached a couple of photos from this area, but we are hoping to be able to return again next year.

Note: if you go on an excursion on a cruise, it may be a bit rushed and we did not have enough time to take 'proper' photographs - just time for holiday snaps mostly.

View attachment 128271 View attachment 128272

Nice photos, thanks for those. I'm planning a Norway Fjord cruise in the near future, how did you find it, and how was it taking photos from on board the cruise ship? Any tips?

Nice photos, thanks for those. I'm planning a Norway Fjord cruise in the near future, how did you find it, and how was it taking photos from on board the cruise ship? Any tips?

How long have you got? It's a spectacular place and a cruise is a good way to see it. The ship was very steady in the fjords and the balcony means you have a front row seat to the views 24/7. I'm sure you won't be disappointed when it comes to photo opportunities or holiday experiences.

Here's another couple of photos to whet your appetite.

Lighthouse on the rocks.jpg Olden.jpg

We spent 3 days on the Lofotens. We had a hire car and explored so plenty of time to stop. The roads are good and the people very friendly. The landscapes are magnificent and I’d love to go back. The holiday was with Inntravel and included a short cruise, fjords, train from Flam to Oslo, Bergen. Really enjoyable and worthwhile.The trainfrom Flam goes through breathtaking scenery.

The joke about Bergen is "A tourist asked a boy 'does it always rain here?', he said 'I don't know I am only 13'". Not brilliant but explains what it is like.

How long have you got? It's a spectacular place and a cruise is a good way to see it. The ship was very steady in the fjords and the balcony means you have a front row seat to the views 24/7. I'm sure you won't be disappointed when it comes to photo opportunities or holiday experiences.

Here's another couple of photos to whet your appetite.

View attachment 128659 View attachment 128660
Thank you very much. I was particularly interested in taking photos from the ship, which you've answered so that's great. More great photos too so that's a bonus. Cheers.

Went last year. Great place but it rains a lot. I mean a lot!
You need to go in the Winter mate:)(y)
Love the place i have been every other year since 2009. (Wife insists we have a warmer hoiliday sometimes:eek:)
Lofoten amongst others is stunning. I fell in love with the place years ago when i weas up there with the Millitary

Further to the above, regarding travelling to Norway as said above going on a Cruise surprisingly is very good value for money. Norway is a landscape photographers paradise IMHO, but its expensive to eat and especially drink there. This is why a cruise normally represents good value for money. Hurtigruten, P&O or whoever.
Hurtigruten run a service up and down the entire coastline Bergen to Kirkenes while this gives a great insight to Norway you have to take into account its a working ship and they are delivering supplies up and down the coast, therefore you are only dibbing in and out of these places, half a day here half a day there ashore, so you need to take that into account. if you miss the ship you will need to get to the next Port of call under your own steam to pick it up again.
P&O, run various cruises through the Fjord areas and in the winter months up to Tromso and Alta for the Northern Lights. Generally you spend a day and overnight in Troms and 2 nights in Alta. They also run expeditions for chasing the Aurora, or book your own before you leave. There is not a whole lot of difference in price, I have done both, everything up there is more expensive. I thought i would beat the ships excursion prices but if you do manage to book your own locally there wont be much in it price-wise.
Lofoten fly drive did 8 nights Flying into Evenes, stayed in hotels at Harstad, Sortland and Hamnoy. Not cheapest but OMG what a stunning place even the Norwegians holiday there, it is breathtakingly beautiful. Fly drive or hire your own car and book B&B etc through tripadvisior etc (that's what i did the second time).
Similarly Tromso in the North and the surrounding area, flew into Tromso, pick up car at airport, turn right out of the airport (note larges supermarkets on the RH side to stock up with food its cheaper to self cater here. Over the bridge on the 862 follow around to Ersfjordbotn there are some absolutely stunning locations there and great holiday rentals on Booking.com and Tripadvisor. There are a number of holiday rentals all around the area but book early because these places get booked up quickly. Done this several times now and i can tell you you wont regret it.
So whether your into wildlife (Whales / Reindeer etc) or Landscape / Astro / Aurora Photography and or Climbing / Hiking / Skiing this is your Country.
If I was that much younger id emigrate!

... the right time of year is not easy to find. In terms of sunrise, sunset and the aurora, March would probably be good, but it's still winter there in March.
If March would be good, then surely September would be good. Same sunrise and sunset times.

Would love to visit some of the more northern places there!
Honestly Cris, it's a terrific Tromso now is very accessible it has become so because of the winter sports. But you can get some cheap hotel deals too, I have had a couple of good deals up there, it's just a matter of searching the net. Alta is the home of the Aurora Observatory at Haldde, that tells you something! To be honest there isn't a great deal at Alta but the Observatory was built there for a reason. It's one of the most opportune places to see the lights.
If your anything like me you will get hooked.
I'm sure you won't regret a trip up there(y)

If March would be good, then surely September would be good. Same sunrise and sunset times.
It's worth doing your research for the time of year to go, and of course depending what you want to do. I have seen Whales in Oct, Nov, Feb, March and April but the best times are normally November till Feburary and the best place is probably around Skjervoy. The Aurora October till March probably the best. They have a University at Tromso BTW that has an upward facing camera on the roof somewhere, this takes photographs of the Aurora and weather activity and posts it on there web site.
Some people are under the impression that in the winter the place is in total darkness all the time which is not true, I'd say it's more like twilight and toward midday like a a light over cast day here. Regarding sunrise, sunset of course you don't have to wait long between sunrise and sunset(y)

It's worth doing your research for the time of year to go, and of course depending what you want to do. I have seen Whales in Oct, Nov, Feb, March and April but the best times are normally November till Feburary and the best place is probably around Skjervoy. The Aurora October till March probably the best. They have a University at Tromso BTW that has an upward facing camera on the roof somewhere, this takes photographs of the Aurora and weather activity and posts it on there web site.
Some people are under the impression that in the winter the place is in total darkness all the time which is not true, I'd say it's more like twilight and toward midday like a a light over cast day here. Regarding sunrise, sunset of course you don't have to wait long between sunrise and sunset(y)
My inclination is always to go in winter - all the rain is snow, can get sunrise and sunset while still getting enough sleep, and there's the aurora too! But what are driving conditions like in Jan or Feb?

My inclination is always to go in winter - all the rain is snow, can get sunrise and sunset while still getting enough sleep, and there's the aurora too! But what are driving conditions like in Jan or Feb?
Interesting, is what the driving is like, well the vehicles you hire do have proper winter tyres up there and they are good! What you have to be aware of is road closures, something I was unprepared for when I first came across it! Be prepared to have to turn around and go back and in some cases there won't be another way round without driving for miles. Lots of tunnels too. Local knowledge is very useful, have a word with the locals tell them what you intend to do and they will give you good advice. If you drive sensibly for the road conditions you will be fine. They also have a LOT of snowploughs sometimes these drive around at night clearing the roads. Main roads are pretty good, lesser roads up into the mountains can be a little more tricky or impassable.
I always go in the winter. Check the Aurora forecast for Feb / March. I'll be up there next year!

Interesting, is what the driving is like, well the vehicles you hire do have proper winter tyres up there and they are good! What you have to be aware of is road closures, something I was unprepared for when I first came across it! Be prepared to have to turn around and go back and in some cases there won't be another way round without driving for miles. Lots of tunnels too. Local knowledge is very useful, have a word with the locals tell them what you intend to do and they will give you good advice. If you drive sensibly for the road conditions you will be fine. They also have a LOT of snowploughs sometimes these drive around at night clearing the roads. Main roads are pretty good, lesser roads up into the mountains can be a little more tricky or impassable.
I always go in the winter. Check the Aurora forecast for Feb / March. I'll be up there next year!
Thanks very much, that's very useful info!

Norway is an incredible country, hope others don't mind me sharing!

tromso37.jpg

And the same hotel with similar position the night before!

tromso34.jpg

Northern Light selfie with the wife!

tromso33.jpg

Tromso during the winter...about as high as the sun goes!

tromso16.jpg

We went in November last year for 4 days in Oslo & 3 days in Tromso...such a magical jaw-droppingly beautiful country. We have friends in Oslo who have offered for us to return at some point to go to their family cabin in the mountains for a long weekend. Naturally we're all over that!

Anyway, hope you enjoy, more can be found of Oslo and Tromso here - http://jacobellwood.co.uk/public/norway/

Back